Doctor Who

TwilightEL

I've only ever seen the newest two seasons and a handful of old school episodes.

The Ninth Doctor's season was vastly superior. The over-arc of Bad Wolf was sublime, I loved Rose in that season, and The Parting of the Ways comes damn close to being the finest hour of television I have ever seen. Father's Day was one of my favorites. The Empty Child was such a creepy villain. "Mommy? Is that you, Mommy?" Gah!

I liked Ten's season less. Rose really, really grated in this season and I was glad to see her gone. Fear Her was terrible and the fine episode of Love & Monsters was horribly ruined by the last five minutes. "We still have a sex life"
quiz547outcome7.gif
But the Satan episodes were nice and creepy, even if some parts of it didn't make sense. I loved the old scifi tropes, like body swapping and alternate universes. The alternate universe/Cybermen episodes were great, especially in the last few episodes when the Daleks showed up and they started snarking at each other. "This is not war, it is pest control" :rockon: And Rose left! And you can't forget School Reunion, my personal favorite.

So, overall the first season I saw was more consistently good and the season arc worked better. The second season's worst moments were worse than the first season's worst moments, but some of its individual episodes were phenomenal.

as a kid if i ever caught Dr Who on BBC i just thought it was terrible. i tried to get into the new `Who but really i just cant get it. what is it you guys like about it so much?

Ooh i will be living in Cardiff from september where they film a lot of `Who and Torchwood i believe.

as a kid if i ever caught Dr Who on BBC i just thought it was terrible. i tried to get into the new `Who but really i just cant get it. what is it you guys like about it so much?

That's the same way I feel about dr who.

Doctor Who is the greatest television show to ever be created by man. And it's the only good thing to come out of Britain.

Alan Moore doesn't count.

I liked the personality of Doctor Ten better than Doctor Nine myself. He's, well, more personable of a Doctor.

I also really enjoyed the episode where he and the dalek splice their genes into humans. First time I've seen a Doctor truely pissed off.

I have only seen the first few episodes of Doctor Who. (The Ninth.)

I am interested in seeing it again. I like the Daleks.

I find the Daleks are too cute to take them as a credible threat.

I see them and think of Master Shake and Oglethorpe. They're ****ing nuts and inept.

Also - the best episode of DOCTOR WHO I've seen is BLINK. It's an amazing episode.

I've been watching a lot of it this summer. I've seen bits and peice of the new seasons. They're playing a first season marathon on the Sci-Fi Channel tommorrow (or today, technically) but the only one I haven't seen yet is the first episode.
I find the Daleks are too cute to take them as a credible threat.

I see them and think of Master Shake and Oglethorpe. They're ****ing nuts and inept.
I just think they're hilarious. They move so slowly and they're always shouting things for some reason. Like none of them can talk normally.

"WE ARE ON A STEALTH MISSION! WE WILL SNEAK UP ON THE HUMANS AND KILL THEM ALL!"

"MAKE SURE TO BE VERY QUIET!"

"YES, I WILL! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

"I TOLD YOU TO BE QUIET! THEY WILL FIND US OUT! SHHHH!!"

I cannot see how these things wiped out an entire race. Couldn't the Time Lords have just pushed them over? Because if you pushed one on its side, I don't think it would be able to get back up.
Also - the best episode of DOCTOR WHO I've seen is BLINK. It's an amazing episode.
Haven't seen it.

What season is it? It might not have aired over here yet.

I think Blink was the one on two weeks ago.

I didn't see it, I wanted to though.

Now, last week's episode, was ****ing brillant.

The Master of the Time Lords is insane.

I loved it.

I have a question.

Isn't that every season there's a new person playing the character, right? Because if so, why is it that there was a news bit (I think it was from The Feed on G4) stating that because the current actor wants a break to do stage shows, the show will go into hiatus for 3 years?

It's not every season

The show has had 26 seasons, there has only been ten doctors.

The current doctor hasn't died yet. When the current doctor dies, to negate the death, he basically becomes a new body with a new personality.

And G4 is wrong, they are taking a one year break. There will be a Christmas special at the end of this year, a 2008 season, then the next season begins in 2010

There is also a scheduled three episode season for 2009, a sort of elongated Christmas Special

Last edited:
It's not every season

The show has had 26 seasons, there has only been ten doctors.

The current doctor hasn't died yet. When the current doctor dies, to negate the death, he basically becomes a new body with a new personality.

And G4 is wrong, they are taking a one year break. There will be a Christmas special at the end of this year, a 2008 season, then the next season begins in 2010

There is also a scheduled three episode season for 2009, a sort of elongated Christmas Special
Ah, ok. I was told long ago that every year it's someone else.

And I did hear about the christmas special, but it was said that the show would be off for 2 years and it'd be back in 3. Something changed then, I guess.

Ice, and when I say Ice, I also mean EVERYONE ANYWHERE EVER, track down this show and watch the new iteration from the beginning. It's one of my favorite tv shows of all time. Period.

I tried an episode but it looked too tacky. I didn't care about it.

It's purposefully tacky. The character has been around on tv since the 60's, and a lot of the creature designs are drawn directly from their goofy original concepts as an homage. It's not a show you can get a good sense of from just one episode. You need to watch a couple. So yeah, it's goofy, but it's also clever and surprising and filled with heart. It's on occasion very touching, even. And each season has its own overall arc, though it can be subtle to spot at times.

While I say it is a touching show, very well written even with the apparent tackyness, its a great show

But yes, you need to donate your time to it, you won't get the feel of it after one episode. I felt the same way, then I caught another one, and another one, and surely enough, it is a great show.

I think Blink was the one on two weeks ago.

I didn't see it, I wanted to though.

Now, last week's episode, was ****ing brillant.

The Master of the Time Lords is insane.

I loved it.
Blink was excellent. The first half in particular. It was like Hitchcock doing sci-fi.

And I also like The Master. I can't wait to see him get really evil.
It's purposefully tacky. The character has been around on tv since the 60's, and a lot of the creature designs are drawn directly from their goofy original concepts as an homage. It's not a show you can get a good sense of from just one episode. You need to watch a couple. So yeah, it's goofy, but it's also clever and surprising and filled with heart. It's on occasion very touching, even. And each season has its own overall arc, though it can be subtle to spot at times.
Yes, it can be a bit goofy. It's also kind of ... hit or miss. In the sense that each episode is very different from the last. You might love when episode and hate the next one. There's lots of variety.

Completely.

In the third season for example, the two-parter HUMAN NATURE is actually really good (bloody rare for a sci-fi two-parter), and BLINK is just ****ing outstanding. I don't know anyone who's seen it and not loved it. It's brilliant.

See, when DOCTOR WHO began in the UK with Eccleston and Piper, I tried to give it a go, but while I wanted to like it, I thought it was crap. Two years later, I finish watching LIFE OF MARS and hear that John Simm (the main actor of the show) is going to be The Master in DOCTOR WHO. So I decide to 'bone up' on the Doctor to prepare for Simm's arrival. And I couldn't. I watched two or three episodes and was bored ****less.

I told this to my friend Will who said, "Watch BLINK. It's one of the best TV episodes of anything ever." He was not wrong. It was outstanding. MY other friends who watched DOCTOR WHO, suddenly, I could talk to them for ages about BLINK.

And I got to find another couple of really good episodes: LOVE & MONSTERS is really sweet and as I said, HUMAN NATURE/FAMILY OF BLOOD is really good. I didn't think I'd like it, but I was surprised. UTOPIA and THE SOUND OF DRUMS are also great - John Simm is really entertaining. However, the second part, THE LAST OF THE TIME LORDS is crap. There's a bunch of episodes I found too crappy to watch like 42 or DALEKS IN MANHATTAN.

I've been watching a lot of it this summer. I've seen bits and peice of the new seasons. They're playing a first season marathon on the Sci-Fi Channel tommorrow (or today, technically) but the only one I haven't seen yet is the first episode.

I just think they're hilarious. They move so slowly and they're always shouting things for some reason. Like none of them can talk normally.

"WE ARE ON A STEALTH MISSION! WE WILL SNEAK UP ON THE HUMANS AND KILL THEM ALL!"

"MAKE SURE TO BE VERY QUIET!"

"YES, I WILL! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

"I TOLD YOU TO BE QUIET! THEY WILL FIND US OUT! SHHHH!!"

I cannot see how these things wiped out an entire race. Couldn't the Time Lords have just pushed them over? Because if you pushed one on its side, I don't think it would be able to get back up.

Haven't seen it.

What season is it? It might not have aired over here yet.

See, I raised the exact same questions to Adam and he said, "Watch DALEK, the first episode they appear in in season 1. They make fun of it throughout the episode - and then it goes around and kills everyone." And it's actually a pretty good episode.

While I still find the Daleks very stupid, that episode was pretty good.

Latest posts

Back