Dr. Strange: The Oath discussion [Vaughan/Martin]

Re: Dr. Strange preview @ N-Rama.

Brian Vaughan. Ditko-ish artwork. The. Must get. Now.

I'm definitely going to pick this up. Dr. Strange has always seemed like an interesting character, but I haven't read him in any books.

Even if I didn't think he was that interesting of a character I'd pick it up just for BKV.

ultimatedjf said:
Wow. I never read Dr. Strange, but since it's BKV, I'm probably going to have to pick this up!

Exactly, same here.

The only thing I've read with Strange in it is JMS's Spider-Man (in which I really liked the dynamic between the two), but this is a must read. Since, you know, BKV is God.

Re: Dr. Strange mini discussion (teasers and speculation)

I'm soooo getting it, mostly cus I love Doc Strange. BKV, I'm iffy on, some of his stuff is good, but others have gon in the crapper pretty fast (yeah, I'm looking at you Runaways).

I'd really be thrilled if someone would use Dr Strange's daughter Sophie.

Re: Dr. Strange mini discussion (teasers and speculation)

There was a good interview with Vaughan a few days ago on CBR that was on the subject of the mini. It's worth reading if you have the time.

Dr. Strange: The Oath Series Discussion (Spoilers)

Hmmm...

So I like it. But... well let me tell you what happens first.

It's a pretty simple story from the get go.

Iron Fist and Arana are waiting for the Night Nurse to take care of them when Wong comes in with a wounded Doc Strange. In the operating room Strange's astral projection makes himself known and sort've narrates the events leading up to the here and now.

There's a shadowed individual talking to Strange's attacker. The attacker (a man named Brigand I think) brags about how he killed Strange. The superior tells him that it's very impossible to kill Dr. Strange and he reveals that he only wanted him to retrieve a potion that he was carrying.

After a brief stint revealing Doctor Strange's origin... We're told that Wong has some kind've fatal brain tumor. Doctor Strange and Wong head into Chinatown N.Y. where they're attacked by a gang that Wong disposes of while Strange finds what he's looking for. A portal opens and Strange declares he's going to fight a god in order to retrieve and artifact to cure Wong. The god is a horrific monster but Strange claims to have beaten him.

Wong helps with a blood transfusion but becomes very weak. The night nurse asks why he hasn't been cured of the tumor yet and Strange tells her that he wanted to make sure the potion was safe so he sent it to a collegue to have tested. He was going to administor the cure tonight but was attacked. When the night nurse asks why he was attacked Strange reveals in the last page that the vile didn't contain the cure to one disease but the cure to cancer.

4/5

It was good. The art was good. The story was good. But I have one problem with it...

Is Doctor Strange supposed to be so... hip? He seemed completely different than from everything I've ever read him in and I'm not saying it was a terrible thing but it was odd to me. Anyone else feel this way?

Re: Dr. Strange: The Oath Series Discussion (Spoilers)

I forgot this was coming out today and didn't pick it up. I'll call and pick it up tomorrow. I feel a little bit assured, now that I know it's decent.

Last edited:

This was pretty good. I like the cure for cancer plot.

But I have one problem with it...

Is Doctor Strange supposed to be so... hip? He seemed completely different than from everything I've ever read him in and I'm not saying it was a terrible thing but it was odd to me. Anyone else feel this way?

You ain't the only one. While my Dr.Strange knowledge is somewhat limited I do know that I've never seen him portrayed as hip.

He's always had that mature-"Listen Kid you don't ****! What I've seen could literally end your life! So piss off!"-Obi Wan Kenobi-kinda feel. Just seeing him crack snide jokes and all just seems off.

The story itself is good and the art is ok.......but there's something about it that just seems weird.

I GOT IT!!!!! Reading this is like eating possum or squirrel!!! It's actually pretty damn good.......but lingering in the back of your mind is the fact that you're eating possum/squirrel.

Still......4/5 and all.

Last edited:

I'm really liking it... I wouldn't say that Dr. Strange is being necessarily "hip" in this series, but it definitely portrays him as far more human than he's probably ever been in comics, and its likely that this is the quality that makes this a much more readable, enjoyable story than most Dr. Strange stories in the recent past.

I love the fact that he's so frustrated with his failure to save his friend and protector when he used to be one of the best surgeons in the world.

And I loved the line about his arrogance in calling himself "Sorceror Supreme"

...Yeah.

I'm going to say 4.5/5

What it was missing was the rest of the story, i feel, not the lack of or an improper tone.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this. Definitely the best Dr. Strange story i've read - that's not saying much, but it was still very good.

Yeah, thats new. Seemed like he might have been pulling something from Ultimate Doc Strange.

Yeah, thats new. Seemed like he might have been pulling something from Ultimate Doc Strange.

Possibly....but BKV just has that witty writing style. None of his characters are allowed to be non-witty.

I've got to remember to pick this up on Wednesday.

The art was very Ditko-esque. Which annoyed me.

The plot - OK.

Doc Strange get an injection of Deadpool or something? He seemed rather sarcastic.

3/5

Latest posts

Back