Dr. Strange: The Oath discussion [Vaughan/Martin]

Re: Dr. Strange: The Oath Series Discussion (Spoilers)

I really enjoyed the art... I thought it fit the book perfectly.

And what's wrong with Ditko?

I forgot to pick up the second issue. Did anyone else get it? If so, how was it? I thought the first one ended strong, so I'm optimistic about this one.

I forgot to pick up the second issue. Did anyone else get it? If so, how was it? I thought the first one ended strong, so I'm optimistic about this one.

Yes, and sorry I've been busy but basically here's what goes down...

Strange recounts how he got shot by Brigand.

Night Nurse is persistent on coming with them on their venture to find who is behind all of it.

They go to Strange's old friend and associate who he sent the sample too. Strange denies that he could have had anything to do with betraying him and him and Wong think that Mordo (Strange Villain) is behind it. They flashback to Doom when he gets into his accident and his friend sticking by his side the entire time. Throughout the flashback you see a creepy old guy, a distinguished activist of Greenwich Village that Strange refused to help because he couldn't pay him, creeping in the shadows (possibly this story's antagonist).

Back in the present they find Strange's friend dead.

Strange, The Night Nurse, and Wong follow the mystical trail off a moving train over the Hudson (very cool scene). They enter a hidden hideout and are attacked by Security bots (previously Stark Enterprises. As Wong and Strange kick ***, Brigand sneaks up and holds Night Nurse hostage.

5/5 easy.

I like the Kirby/Ditko feel to this, but otherwise, it's just okay.

Still a lot better than most comics out there now.

Entertainment Weekly gave the series (so far) an A-. I'm just glad EW reviews comics that I read. Actually, they usually always review Vaughan; they know greatness when they see it. :)

Wasn't as good as the last two but had some of the best scenes and interesting reveals. It was a good bridge issue that will probably read better in Trade.

Flashback* We see Strange's surgeon leaving the hospital after he couldn't save Strange's hands. The patient Strange blew off previously confronts him and thanks him for ruining Strange's life. The old man then reveals he's going to dabble in the dark arts.

Brigand is holding Night Nurse hostage and Wong pulls some fu manchu on his *** and Night Nurse breaks free. Strange holds him with some mystical chains. Wong begins suffering a headache and the drug he takes to ease the pain is named. He forgot his pills at home though and Night Nurse tells him a certain company has a monopoly on the pills so there's no generic kind.

Strange then enters into his mind to see who the mastermind behind all of this is. In Brigand's head he faces mental blocks in the form of some creatures that Strange easily does away with and then the tricks begin as we see Nightmare and Dorammu (sp?) appear. Strange quickly realizes they're fakes and Brigand is out of luck. He then reveals who the man behind everything is... It's Strange's surgeon.

We then see the Surgeon meet with the pharmacutical company that makes the pills Wong is useing. The board, who sit in mostly shadows, question the surgeon about the elixar and Strange. Obviously they don't want Strange to cure cancer because that would put them out of a job. They want the surgeon to get rid of Strange and it's revealed he used to dabble in the dark arts and when he did something bad happened.

Strange comes out of Brigand's mind and banishes Brigand within his own mind (confusing, right?) eternally. Very cold, very badass of Strange.

They show the surgeon conjuring something up and how he feels good about practicing magic again.

Strange, Wong, and the Night Nurse return to the Hospice only to find it ablaze and are now confronted with a giant monster.

3/5

I liked the page with all of the villains. Strange has a decent sized Rogue's Gallery, but they're not very well known.

This issue provided a lot of background on all the characters involved. They just didn't push the story along that much.

by the way, i just noticed if you look at the cover to #3 from a distance, it makes a big alien-looking face.

Even though it's not even over yet, Ken Tucker, on his Best Graphic Novels of '06 list at EW.com, named this the best miniseries of the year. What, was he not reading Vaughan's Escapists (the better of his two minis)? I know everyone at EW loves BKV.

Latest posts

Back