Dreamcasting #22: The Astonishing X-Men

Beast-1.jpg

Beast1.jpg

Beast, Hank McCoy - Russell Crowe

This might seem like an odd choice, but I'm convinced that Crowe could play anything. Even the Brave Little Toaster. Crowe has range and I think his voice is perfect coming out of Beast. It wouldn't be that far of a stretch to cover him in blue fur.

Ord.jpg

Ord1.jpg

Ord Of The Breakworld - Dominic Purcell

I see Ord being cocky, but silent unless he really has something to say. And when he does it will be intense. Dominic played a fantastic Dracula in Blade, and he is entertaining in Prison Break.

Brand.jpg

Brand1.jpg

Agent Brand, Director of S.W.O.R.D. - Ali Larter

I see Brand being like Larter's character in the new Resident Evil movie. That she is a mega *****, she's doing it to save your life. Larter has shown she can play this based off her character's in RE and Heroes.​

Not a big fan of the comics but I'll try , I only know the films , tv and cartoons.

ASTONISHING X-MEN is REALLY REALLY good. It's so much fun, I heartily recommend it. It's one of the best superhero comics at the moment.

As for your cast - you do know Dougray Scott was meant to be Wolverine but didn't (for some reason)? Funny no?

Liam Neeson, Jennifer Garner, and Sam Neill are all really good choices.

TOG - I love Karl Urban and Kevin McKidd. Great choices.

For my cast: I'm tempted to cast only actors who've appeared in Whedon's shows...

Last edited:
ASTONISHING X-MEN is REALLY REALLY good. It's so much fun, I heartily recommend it. It's one of the best superhero comics at the moment.

As for your cast - you do know Dougray Scott was meant to be Wolverine but didn't (for some reason)? Funny no?
I'm fairly certain it was because by the time they finalized the rest of the cast, Mission: Impossible 2 commenced shooting and Dougray was no longer available.

I like TOG's the most so far, but Russel Crowe... no. Just no.

I added some pics to my cast. I'm still looking for someone to play Xavier (Patrick Stewart = Xavier).

I thought about Nathan Fillion as Cyclops, but it just feels like a cheat. Your other choices are pretty good though.

transformers24.jpg

Cyclops - Scott Summers - Josh Duhamel
I choose him for his role in Transformers. I've always picture Cyclops as a very militaristic leader, he know strategy and fighting. So I wanted someone to have a commanding presence of a leader. Josh can do that.

scarett_johansson.jpg

The White Queen - Emma Frost - Scarlett Johansson
This one was very tough. It hard to find an actress who can do the cold hearted Emma but still have to be likable, and hot. Even though Scarlett is young I think she can pull off the role.

thomas-jane.jpg

Wolverine - James "Logan" Howlett - Thomas Jane
I think Jane is the perfect Logan, he's great at playing the tough guy in both serious and funny ways. I was going to have Keifer Sutherland cause imagine the intensity he would bring to the role. Jack Bauer+Healing Factor+Knives coming out of his fists= Awesome. But I do think he could do the calm humorous aspects.

107059053.jpg

The Beast - Henry "Hank" McCoy - Kevin Spacey
This was a big challenge, I still see Kesley Grammar as the perfect Hank. But Spacey has that intelligent voice and great personality to carry Beast.

Russell_Crowe%20-%201.jpg

Colossus - Piotr Rasputin - russell crowe
This one is the toughest, mainly because I don't know anyone that has the build and accent, I'm disappointed with this choice, buts its really they only name that keeps popping into my head.

20070404dessler.jpg

Shadowcat - Kitty Pryde - Reiko Aylesworth
I picture Kitty as strong willed, and very oppose to Emma being on the team. Reiko really shows that on 24. This Kitty is a bit older and more mature than her earlier career and I really wanted to keep that character evolution.

Last edited:
Scott Summers/Cyclops - Nathan Fillion
James Howlett/Logan/Wolverine - James Purefoy
Henry Philip McCoy/Beast - Ian McShane or William Hurt
Ord of the Breakworld - Ray Stevenson

These are pretty cool - I almost chose McShane for Xavier. Also, the picture for Stevenson as Ord is tremendous.

Nathan Fillion is a stupid choice for Cyclops, however, as my cast will prove for ever in perpetuity. :wink:

THE ASTONISHING X-MEN
[IMGL]http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/4883/nathanfillionxv5.jpg[/IMGL]
Nathan Fillion is Cyclops
I tried, really hard, to not go for this choice. I almost went with David Duchovny. I really didn't want to pick Nathan Fillion because… dammit, he's not Cyclops. He's really not. But Joss Whedon, in ASTONISHING X-MEN, wrote one of the best versions of Cyclops the franchise has ever seen – and he wrote him as Malcolm Reynolds. He really did. There's differences between Cyclops and Malcolm Reynolds, obviously, but they seem to share the same creative origins from Whedon's imagination, so much so, I'm incapable of reading Cyclops without hearing Fillion's voice and imagining Fillion portraying it. So, for the sake of originality, I wish I picked someone else, but, dammit, everything tells me that this is the perfect choice for Whedon's Cyclops.

[IMGL]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1376/jeriryansg0.jpg[/IMGL]
Jeri Ryan is White Queen
She's perfect. Look at her!

[IMGL]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9098/adambaldwindo8.jpg[/IMGL]
Adam Baldwin is Wolverine
I've picked Adam Baldwin as Wolverine before in my first dreamcast. The Wolverine for this film is very similar in regards to casting – Wolverine is the "Han Solo" of the group, the supporting character, not the main star upon the shoulders of whom the plot rests upon, and as such, Adam Baldwin is a fine choice again. Adam Baldwin is surprisingly eloquent and capable of shifting from gruff to panicked – which makes him all the more perfect considering at some point, he has to act like a 19th century altar boy. And, Whedon wrote Wolverine like Jayne (in as much as he wrote Cyclops as Mal).

[IMGL]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6166/robertseanleonardtp5.jpg[/IMGL]
Robert Sean Leonard is Beast
On a production side, I'd put Leonard into a blue furry motion-capture costume in the same vein as Ahmed Best did for Jar Jar in THE PHANTOM MENACE (though, Best didn't wear it as motion capture), to help with post production. Leonard is a fine actor and one of the best things in HOUSE and one of my all-time favourite films, DEAD POET'S SOCIETY. But Beast also requires a good voice and Leonard has a very kind, concerned, voice that is very suitable for Hank McCoy. He's never been, to my knowledge, involved in sci-fi action which will make his performance all the more unique in this ensemble.

[IMGL]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7487/tomwellingyi4.jpg[/IMGL]
Tom Welling is Colossus
I hate SMALLVILLE. But I watched it as long as I did partly because of Tom Welling, whom I thought was very good. He's got the right look – he's got an innocence or naivety yet can pull off the strength or sternness needed for the gentle giant archetype; both of which is Superman and Colossus. I don't know if he can do a Russian accent, but that to me, isn't too important. He's got the right look, and he's the right age for my choice of Shadowcat. And what's more, like everyone in my cast, he's a cult favourite, but doesn't possess so much star power as he would overshadow anyone in the cast.

[IMGL]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6789/amyackerzy4.jpg[/IMGL]
Amy Acker is Shadowcat
Amy Acker, in ANGEL, played Fred who was crazy, timid, and easily frightened. But she also played Illyria, who was majestic, callous, and relentless. Shadowcat seems to fall inbetween the two. At times she's commanding and tough, and other times insecure and easily startled. Basically, I think she and Tom Welling will nail the most important scene Shadowcat and Colossus share in the comic – when they meet for the first time and Colossus drops to his knees, holding Shadowcat. That scene, those two will do fine.

[IMGL]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6428/lawrencefishburnexb4.jpg[/IMGL]
Lawrence Fishburne is Professor Xavier
I picked Fishburne for two main reasons. The first is that Xavier is the "mentor" figure and let's face it – Fishburne was so good as the mentor in THE MATRIX that Morpheus is the best character in that trilogy other than Agent Smith. The second is that in ASTONISHING X-MEN, Whedon made Xavier a complete and utter badass who crawled across a post-apocalyptic urban graveyard with a severed cyborg's head. Hell, I'd give Fishburne white skin through CGI or make-up if it's that important. The guy is great for this version of Xavier.

[IMGL]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1427/michelleforbestq6.jpg[/IMGL]
Michelle Forbes is Abigail Brand
I really want to separate White Queen and Brand. I think they're really in danger of overlapping as the "catty female leader". Michelle Forbes is generally a lot more hardass and angrier than Jeri Ryan who is usually detached and cold – hopefully the two would play enough off each other to distinguish each other. It's ironic though, since they were both in STAR TREK.

[IMGL]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5156/brianthompsonku7.jpg[/IMGL]
Brian Thompson is Ord of the Breakworld
Brian Thompson you've never heard of, but you ****ing know his face because he's wonderful. He's always playing the hard bastard, but he's actually quite talented, and as he proved in his appearance in BUFFY as "The Judge", he's also really quite funny. Brian Thompson is a great BUFFY villain. Ord is a great BUFFY villain. So this seemed perfect as soon as I thought of it.

[IMGL]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1086/alicekrigekq8.jpg[/IMGL]
Alice Krige is Danger
I almost went with Sigourney Weaver over Alice Krige. Weaver isn't related to STAR TREK (except through GALAXY QUEST) but sadly, Weaver I think might be too big a name compared to the rest of the cast since you'd expect Danger to be the major bad guy, but she wouldn't be. So… yeah, I went for Alice Krige. She was brilliant as the Borg Queen and was truly unnerving. Her voice is perfect for Danger. I'd again, using the same technique as Beast, use a costume to help with the post-production CGI.

[IMGL]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5522/gerardbutlerzm7.jpg[/IMGL]
Gerard Butler is Kruun
Imagine Butler screaming to Fillion's Cyclops, "WHAT OTHER LIES HAVE YOU TOLD?!".

Imagined it yet?

That's why this film would be awesome.

I'd cast Armour or Kavita Rao, but I'm not well-versed enough in the acting community to do so.

Also – Frank Welker would be Lockheed.

Last edited:
Every one has better casts than me :lol: Nice casting dudes , I like everyone's , I think my favourite cast though has to Bass's cast all except Lawrence Fishburne , I like the actor I just don't see him as Prof X but still an awesome cast

Every one has better casts than me :lol: Nice casting dudes , I like everyone's , I think my favourite cast though has to Bass's cast all except Lawrence Fishburne , I like the actor I just don't see him as Prof X but still an awesome cast

Just imagine Fishburne holding Danger's head as he crawls across razed Genosha and you'll get what I'm thinking.

Latest posts

Back