Dreamcasting #22: The Astonishing X-Men

Come to think of it, I didn't know race was so important. :roll:

It is, in some cases.

Yes but looking at this as a film they won't do the cure as it was in X-men last stand and wouldn't want people to think it was a remake :p

Yes, but it's not like this film is actually getting made, so it doesn't matter. And every good movie has at least one flashback. Flashback to Beast's early, pre-furry years.:)

Also, leaving out that part of the story will lose the accuracy of the adaptation, and this movie will just become another X-movie.:)

Last edited:
Dude, Beast never took the cure. He thought about it, but he never had it.

What are you talking about?

My bad. But you have to show him contemplating whether or not to take the cure, so you have to have him picturing himself without fur.:)

I know a lot of them aren't the exactly best choices for the characters (except Gerard Butler)

I was actually thinking about putting Butler as Wolvie, but then I thought, "Wow, this cast doesn't have enough Purefoy." So rather than cast Butler as Wolvie, I gave in to my inner desires and hired Purefoy ("I got a fevah, and the only prescription, is more Purefoy").

Last edited:
Yes, but it's not like this film is actually getting made, so it doesn't matter. And every good movie has at least one flashback. Flashback to Beast's early, pre-furry years.:)

Also, leaving out that part of the story will lose the accuracy of the adaptation, and this movie will just become another X-movie.:)

I know it's not but you need to think like it is. If not why not just have Andy Dick as wolverine , whoopi goldberg as phonix. Not like it's going to get mad so who cares? :p

ice said:
For the close minded, sure.

Agreed UNLESS it's someone like Falcon where been black was like his powers

I was just saying that he kinda looked like him. facially and all. go ahead and look at the picture of him as the Wolf Man in the new Wolf Man movie. anyway it's not the important...racist. But does anyone think he would be good as the Beast, or do I just suck at casting? even though three of bluebeast's picks are mine. hey, I'm not bitter.

Last edited:
I was kidding. In regards to his race I don't think it would matter that much. Anyway it was just a thought, I didn't mean for it to get this out of hand.

I'm not white, or Hispanic. I just think you should have a better reason to change Beast's ethnicity.

dude most hispanics are white. the only hispanics that are brown are the ones who work in the sun all day, no offense or anything. Have you ever seen telemundo or unvision? They're all white.

Who cares what color Beast is? For hell's sake, he's covered in blue fur. What he was prior to blue fur only matters if you're anal retentive. In which case, may I suggest a good laxative? Metamucil seems to be a popular choice.

Last edited:
Who cares what color Beast is? For hell's sake, he's covered in blue fur. What he was prior to blue fur only matters if you're anal retentive. In which case, may I suggest a good laxative? Metamucil seems to be a popular choice.

Burritos

Ladies and Gentlemen.....I give you Doom's ensemble cast of:

ASTONISHING X-MEN​

AstonishingX-Men.jpg

Top: Peter Krause, Portia DeRossi, Justin Theroux
Bottom: Sean Bean, Eric Bana, Sarah Michelle Gellar

CyclopsPeter Krause – The perennial overachieving leader. Krause definitely has the classic everyman looks to play Cyclops…but it's his dramatic skills from HBO's compound dramatic "Six Feet Under" main lead that proves that he can properly handle Whedon's complex mental deconstruction of the cookie-cutter team leader. Plus look at him…he LOOKS like Cyclops.

Emma Frost Portia De Rossi – The cold queen bee. Frost is a former bad girl gone good…who is still technically bad. Kinda. Deep down we all know that Emma is merely being good because her boyfriend is good. If given the chance, this prissy ***** would turn evil so long as it's convenient to her. It's this snobbish attitude that Portia De Rossi portrays almost constantly. Even in her comedic turn on "Arrested Development" she was the shallow, snobbish, self-centered female. Take that aspect and add her sexy dramatic roles…and you have the perfect demure psychic *****.

Logan Justin Theroux – Savage. Primal. Compact. These 3 words describe Logan. Not many people are familiar with Theroux. Most only know him from "Charlie's Angels". But look at the intense physical role he played. That's perfect for Wolverine. And remember when Logan was turned into a little English schoolboy? Well Theroux can handle the comedy too. Remember the evil breakdancing DJ in "Zoolander"? Yeah…that's Theroux.

Beast Sean Bean – Beast is the classic secondary character who is integral to the story/team. Essentially he is the collective consciousness and moral compass of the group. Logan will do what's needed. Cyclops will do what he thinks is right. Emma will do whatever she pretty much wants. But it's Beast who holds it together. And what actor properly exudes this quality and could deliver it behind a giant furry blue mask? Bean. He's the perfect dignified character actor. Plus he has that soothing baritone voice. Perfect for a brilliant giant cat. When I see that scene from Astonishing where Beast explains how he broke the feral mental hold with a super ball of yarn…I don't know why…but I see Bean.

Colossus Eric Bana – Big…quiet…and a force to be reckoned with. Bana has already tackled this dignified role twice in "Troy" and "Munich". He's the perfect candidate to play the high physical gentle giant. Bana has the gravitas to switch from nurturing, sweet boyfriend who'll hold you by the big tree in the park and just watch the clouds go by…to quickly go to the battle ready warrior. And…Bana can do accents! It's brilliant. Plus…can't you just see Bana delivering that horrible joke about how he has "dreamed of destroying Breakworld since he was a kid"?

Kitty Sarah Michelle Gellar – This was probably the easiest role to cast. As much as I tiring of seeing the Whendon-verse actors peppered heavily all over these projects…with such diverse actors and so many different projects…it's inevitable to come across an actor/actress who's perfect for the role and just so happens to have been on Whedon's stuff. This would be Gellar. Whedon himself has already said that his Kitty is based on Buffy…or was it Buffy who was based on Kitty? Either way…why mess what the creator has already established? Sweet, sexy, sassy and quippy. How many times have we seen Gellar do this? She could do it with her eyes closed.

I love all your casts...except SMG.

The first five- they, to me, fit like ring on a finger, as the expression goes. But SMG...I don't get a "Kitty vibe" from her.

Still, the rest of your cast is rock solid. They fit the character, look and acting, and they seem to work well with each other.

I think my favorite casting of yours there is Cyclops. Those glasses help a hell of a lot, too.

I would love to see who you think should play the other characters. I have always loved your castings.

Last edited:
I would love to see who you think should play the other characters. I have always loved your castings.

That's easy.

Nathan Fillion should play all those roles. Even Jean.

Or James Purferoy.

Or Shia Lebouf.

To be honest....I don't find the additional characters in Astonishing worth casting. The stories themselves are awesome....but the villains are so meh that it's not even worth my time. I'd be hard pressed to think of someone else to play Xavier other than Patrick Stewart.

But off the top of my head?

Garret Hedlund to play Iceman.

garrett_hedlund.jpg

Latest posts

Back