Dreamcasting #22: The Astonishing X-Men

That's easy.

Nathan Fillion should play all those roles. Even Jean.

Or James Purferoy.

Or Shia Lebouf.

To be honest....I don't find the additional characters in Astonishing worth casting. The stories themselves are awesome....but the villains are so meh that it's not even worth my time. I'd be hard pressed to think of someone else to play Xavier other than Patrick Stewart.

But off the top of my head?

Garret Hedlund to play Iceman.

garrett_hedlund.jpg
You already had my vote with your casting, but this is icing on the cake. :drooling:

I had an idea....for an X-Men movie....if the first three never happened. It's a J.J. Abrams / Damon Lindelof-written/directed movie inspired by Children of the Atom and other X-stories, starring:
>Charles Xavier - Robert Knepper
>Cyclops - Nathan Fillion
>Wolverine - James Purefoy
>Marvel Girl - Amy Adams (Bluebeast has already taken this one, but I think it's a really good choice)
>Beast - Ian McShane
>Angel - ????
>Iceman - ????
>Shadowcat - Jena Malone
>Colossus - Ralf Moeller
>Storm - Zoë Saldaña (I thought of Angela Bassett for the role, but she's a little too old for the part)
>Magneto - Jurgen Prochnow
>Sabretooth - Clancy Brown
>Fred Duncan - ????
>William Metzger - ????
>Bolivar Trask - ????
>Doug Ramsey - Anton Yelchin or Michael Cera
>Quicksilver - Michael Pitt
>Scarlet Witch - Mary Elizabeth Winstead

T-Bag as Xavier? Weird.

And I find it funny that all of your movies are written and directed by Abrams and Lindelof. No wonder Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine is never coming out.

Beast Sean Bean – Beast is the classic secondary character who is integral to the story/team. Essentially he is the collective consciousness and moral compass of the group. Logan will do what's needed. Cyclops will do what he thinks is right. Emma will do whatever she pretty much wants. But it's Beast who holds it together. And what actor properly exudes this quality and could deliver it behind a giant furry blue mask? Bean. He's the perfect dignified character actor. Plus he has that soothing baritone voice. Perfect for a brilliant giant cat. When I see that scene from Astonishing where Beast explains how he broke the feral mental hold with a super ball of yarn…I don't know why…but I see Bean.

Colossus Eric Bana – Big…quiet…and a force to be reckoned with. Bana has already tackled this dignified role twice in "Troy" and "Munich". He's the perfect candidate to play the high physical gentle giant. Bana has the gravitas to switch from nurturing, sweet boyfriend who'll hold you by the big tree in the park and just watch the clouds go by…to quickly go to the battle ready warrior. And…Bana can do accents! It's brilliant. Plus…can't you just see Bana delivering that horrible joke about how he has "dreamed of destroying Breakworld since he was a kid"?

Yes yes yes yes yes!

Yes yes yes yes yes!

Yeah. You likey?

It took me forever to properly cast Beast.

I went from David Wenham to Kevin Spacey to Ewan McGregor to Sean Bean to Russell Crowe (for the voice) back to Bean.

And Bana was another tough one to cast. It's hard finding the right balance between brooding warrior and compassionate man dealing with the fact that he's not dead anymore. Size is important...but you have to remember that Colossus grows in size when he's metal. I can't remember who I had to play him before....but as I was typing up the reasons for the rest of teh cast, I was watching "Hulk". And I just passed the part where Betty calms down Bruce in the streets of SanFrancisco. The transformation back was damn near flawless and it just hit me.

Now I can't wait to see DSF and Ourchair's cast.

Victor Von Doom said:
Logan Justin Theroux – Savage. Primal. Compact. These 3 words describe Logan. Not many people are familiar with Theroux. Most only know him from "Charlie's Angels". But look at the intense physical role he played. That's perfect for Wolverine. And remember when Logan was turned into a little English schoolboy? Well Theroux can handle the comedy too. Remember the evil breakdancing DJ in "Zoolander"? Yeah…that's Theroux.
I think Theroux is potentially an even more multi-purpose than people would think.

First of all, he can easily skewer the neuroticism that comes with superhero stories with a sense of self-deprecation, resignation and frustration that is required to embrace such a character fully.

He's proven it in his portrayal of the alternatingly vengeful and dejected screenwriter in Mulholland Drive, the perpetually bored handsome actor from Inland Empire and Broken English and the smugly superficial Wall Street trader from American Psycho.

Victor Von Doom said:
Beast Sean Bean
Easily the most inspired choice of all in allness. Here's why:
Victor Von Doom said:
When I see that scene from Astonishing where Beast explains how he broke the feral mental hold with a super ball of yarn…I don't know why…but I see Bean.
This is a very delicate moment for an actor to handle. It has to be equal parts tragic, hilarious and poignant and I think an actor like Bean can handle that easily, having perfected the ability to exude a knowing ironic smile to the audience, play a self-serious moment with cheeky aplomb and yet still manage to never undercut the dramatic import of the role.

Everbody remembers him in Ronin and The Island as a super serious actor in super serious genre fare, but look into that performance and you'll see a guy who knows how to play serious without being too serious and yet never betraying that seriousness with an air of comedy.

The ball of yarn moment was asking for Sean Bean.

Victor Von Doom said:
Emma Frost – Portia De Rossi
Perfect.

Portia de Rossi is now HOT again.

I miss this guy

to me this should ALWAYS be Bass's avatar

What does this all have to do with dreamcasting AXM?

Well, you see, Oglethorpe is a character on Aqua Teen Hunger Force which is a show on Adult Swim, which also shows Family Guy, which is a TV show on the Fox network which was once cancelled; another cancelled TV show on the Fox network includes Firefly, which starred Nathan Fillion, who was my pick for Cyclops, a member of the AXM.

Latest posts

Back