DreamMOVIE #1: The Spielberg/Lucas hit machine!

Re: DreamMOVIE #12: The Spielberg/Lucas hit machine!

I really like the cast - but I don't like the pitch. I don't think huge, global politics is where BACK TO THE FUTURE wants to go.

I do like Jules and Verne being at odds a great deal - but... I'd have to say no. For me, the charm of the original trilogy is lost in your version. Sorry.

I really like the cast - but I don't like the pitch. I don't think huge, global politics is where BACK TO THE FUTURE wants to go.

I do like Jules and Verne being at odds a great deal - but... I'd have to say no. For me, the charm of the original trilogy is lost in your version. Sorry.

It's called updating.

As for the pitch, the original movie was all about the generation gap, and the decline in Americana. I took it one step further, and made it the decline of the world.

Yeah, I know, but I think by taking it a step further, you've lost a lot of the charm. The originals were very small and charming and light. By taking them a step further, you're not doing "Back to the Future" but some other time travelling movie that has the franchise name attached to it. Not everything has to be about the fate of the world, and it's nice to sometimes has something that deals with very little, but makes it universal.

Yeah, I know, but I think by taking it a step further, you've lost a lot of the charm. The originals were very small and charming and light. By taking them a step further, you're not doing "Back to the Future" but some other time travelling movie that has the franchise name attached to it. Not everything has to be about the fate of the world, and it's nice to sometimes has something that deals with very little, but makes it universal.

I agree with this.

I don't agree with you at all.

The second Back to the Future was about saving the world, because of what Biff had done.

And so what if I'm making the movies a tad more serious in their nature? The films can be light and airy, it's not like a typed out dialogue or anything? And while you might not remember it, the first three were heavy in political issues. I'm making mine more obvious in that nature. And it's not about saving the world, it's about making a better future. Martin starts off as someone who never questions anything, just goes to work, goes home, eats dinner then goes to sleep. By the end of the adventure, he's seen life, and now doesn't want to let it go. There's a message right there.

And you didn't even comment on my choices of characters. You went, "YOUR PLOT IS TEH STUPID"

Well, thanks for the criticism

Nothing personal against, Marvelman by any means.....but I think this round is a copout in attempts to appease and pander to the masses who have been clamoring for these 3 projects to have their own round.

And rather than taking a firm stanc and just picking one property---Marvelman gives them all 3 under the guise of some big Dreamcasting experiment.

I mean kudos for trying to take the game one step further and having people do project pitches in addition to an original cast....but in the end this round should've been formatted like all the other rounds with one sole project to cast.

It goes right back to the argument on the first or second page. It's completely unfair to judge Houde's project/cast to Bass' project/cast. It's 2 totally different vehicles with 2 totally different concepts/genres.

Not saying that all the ideas in this round are bollocks......there are some genuinely interesting ideas and concepts and possibilities for future round rules.......but I still think it should've been one project.

I agree.

One of the things that made the original films so charming, was that they were fundamentally about intimately personal gains that Marty made for his own family --- making a man out of his father, preventing the damage his temper would cause --- and were never concerned with what is good and right for the world.

And in that sense, they had nothing to do with an objective conception of good. Doc Brown's own mission statement for making the machine in the first place was to 'witness history'. Not interfere with it, let alone make the world a better place (which is usually what you expect noble scientists to aspire to do with time travel) Hell, the animated series essentially screws the Tannen family.

It goes right back to the argument on the first or second page. It's completely unfair to judge Houde's project/cast to Bass' project/cast. It's 2 totally different vehicles with 2 totally different concepts/genres.
I believe that was me. I think it's like comparing apples and oranges, to use a tired old metaphor.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't agree with you at all.

The second Back to the Future was about saving the world, because of what Biff had done.

It's not really. It's about saving Hill Valley. Sure, you can say that Hill Valley is Americana, but the stakes are not like a Bond film. The reason the score is the way it is was because Zemeckis told Alan Silvestri to make the music grand and big, because then the film would seem grand and big, even though it isn't - it's about one guy meeting his dad as a teenager.

All three films take place in one little town called Hill Valley. That's as far as any event goes - with the exception of evil Biff who dates Marilyn Monroe.

And so what if I'm making the movies a tad more serious in their nature? The films can be light and airy, it's not like a typed out dialogue or anything? And while you might not remember it, the first three were heavy in political issues. I'm making mine more obvious in that nature. And it's not about saving the world, it's about making a better future. Martin starts off as someone who never questions anything, just goes to work, goes home, eats dinner then goes to sleep. By the end of the adventure, he's seen life, and now doesn't want to let it go. There's a message right there.

And you didn't even comment on my choices of characters. You went, "YOUR PLOT IS TEH STUPID"

Well, thanks for the criticism

Dude, you can disagree all you want, but I don't get why you're angry. The first thing I said is that I liked the cast, didn't like the plot. Liked the interaction between Verne and Jules, but felt it lacked the charm of the trilogy.

I didn't treat your plot harshly, nor have a go at you. You are completely incapable of accepting even the slightest criticism. Look back and reread what I wrote - the inference that I went "YOUR PLOT IS TEH STUPID" is nowhere in my post. I simply say why I disagree with your assessment of how a sequel trilogy to BttF should go.

Calm down.

Nothing personal against, Marvelman by any means.....but I think this round is a copout in attempts to appease and pander to the masses who have been clamoring for these 3 projects to have their own round.

And rather than taking a firm stanc and just picking one property---Marvelman gives them all 3 under the guise of some big Dreamcasting experiment.

I mean kudos for trying to take the game one step further and having people do project pitches in addition to an original cast....but in the end this round should've been formatted like all the other rounds with one sole project to cast.

Not saying that all the ideas in this round are bollocks......there are some genuinely interesting ideas and concepts and possibilities for future round rules.......but I still think it should've been one project.

Seriously, why is this a big deal? I don't even think it should be a competition. Everyone should put their casts in, the round's moderator chooses a participant, and they start the next round.

This is meant to have fun, talk about films and properties we enjoy, and what we'd do with them if we had control; to talk about the kinds of films we want to see. But it's becoming more annoying than fun - running this game is a hassle; picking a property everyone wants to do; making sure it has enough time for people to compete; and then organising the voting and declaring a winner - I don't want to win again. I want to play, but not to win. And now we get complaining in a thread over what someone picks as the property. It's just becoming a hassle.

So what if Marvelman says, "Just do any one of these three"? If he'd chosen just STAR WARS or BACK TO THE FUTURE I might not have bothered, but INDIANA JONES? Hell, I want to do that.

As we use existing properties we're going to get to situations where someone wants people to cast something no one's heard of. I'd love to do EMPOWERED or 100 BULLETS, and the next time I win a comic thing, I'll probably put up three more obscure projects just so that the chances are that everyone who likes this game gets to have a shot at playing this week.

Come on - this whole ****ing thread exists on the premise that I can tell Johnny Depp and Michael Douglas what to do.

Calm down and just play in the Hollywood sandbox.

Last edited:

So what if Marvelman says, "Just do any one of these three"? If he'd chosen just STAR WARS or BACK TO THE FUTURE I might not have bothered, but INDIANA JONES? Hell, I want to do that.

Same as me. Star wars and BTTF to me are way to hard to dreamcast as the originals were so perfect I couldn't imagine a BTTF with out Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd they were essential to what made it good as were the OT cast of star wars and I honestly couldn't even try and would avoid the thread.

Yes Indiana Jones was cast perfectly too but I found that easier to try and dreamcast.

Also I want to point out BTTF is neither a hit for Spielberg or Lucas , sure Spielberg was producer but all credit really belongs Robert Zemeckis

I would still like to do a game similar to dreamcasting, but instead of casting actors in roles, we just simply pitch the movie. We seem to be doing this more and more, and I actually prefer this part over the actual casting.

I would still like to do a game similar to dreamcasting, but instead of casting actors in roles, we just simply pitch the movie. We seem to be doing this more and more, and I actually prefer this part over the actual casting.
I absolutely do not mind this.

Although, I think it should either be an infrequent thing... or its own game, for the very simple reason that I like the fact that Dreamcasting is a game that can be run in seven days.

If we all did pitches we'd have to have longer rounds and I much prefer the idea of one game that takes two weeks to pitch and another game that goes by fast by cast, rather than making a combined one.

As it is, I lose patience waiting for the days to see who wins just so that we can start up the new round. :p

I remember when we were discussing how to move on with the Ultimization game, I suggested a "Remake/Revamp/Reboot" type game, where a concept would be given out by the host e.g. Doctor Who or Sonic the Hedgehog, and then participants would have to revamp the concept and pitch a story.

I think it would be fun. Maybe after Christmas.

I'm working on a massive Back to the Future trilogy that takes place after the original three ones. I hope I get it done on time.

Also, I don't think Marvelman noticed this, but the vote date is on Thanksgiving. Should we extend it to the Sunday?

yes.

EDIT: Now that youve posted the cast, BRILLIANT. Casey Affleck?! I seriously love that guy. He's great. Ewan McGre- you know what, I'm not going to go through each one, the whole cast is superb. Honestly.

That said, I think Bass has a point about the light-hearted, very PERSONAL fare of the original trilogies. That was the greatest appeal, at least for me, is that Marty was going around trying to fix up his OWN messed up family, and it led to some very funny interactions- waking up to his mom, having to deal with and make cool his uber-geek dad... making it both personal and very funny. The broader scope would be interesting, but I know I'D personally appreciate it if you would mention or think up or whatever some ways to bring levity to the film... cuz as it stands now, it sounds great, but perhaps a bit too (to quote Marty) "heavy." Just a thought.

Also I want to point out BTTF is neither a hit for Spielberg or Lucas , sure Spielberg was producer but all credit really belongs Robert Zemeckis

Yes, thank you, I KNOW.

I know it was simply produced by Spielberg. I simply put it in with the other two because I wanted some kind of thread between the three, in case this becomes a regular thing- so that in the future, there might be a common thread between whichever movies were being "cast and produced." The title is just a common thread. That is all.

And in response to this, this project was done by NO means to appease ANYONE but myself. I really wanted to see each of these dreamcast by the likes of you people, and I KNOW I couldn't do it myself... and I also know I'm not appreciated well enough around here to win three rounds and do them separately. SO I put them together so that I could possibly see them all be done. And sure enough I've gotten my wish; each movie has been done, and interestingly. My job here is done. It was kinda selfish of me, but I wanted to see some projects that I don't think would have been used for a while otherwise. And this way, people can play to their strengths. Want to cast light-hearted sci-fi comedy? BTTF. Want to cast politically bent sci-fi action adventure? Star Wars. Want to cast breathtaking serial adventure? Indiana Jones. Wam Bam Thank You Ma'am.

No one (to my knowledge) was clamoring to any of these. If you look in the Ghostbusters dreamcast round, I specifically state that I wanted to try each of these out but wasn't sure which one... so, figuring this is my only chance to see something done that I REALLY wanted to see, and also knew I'd personally do a poor job with myself, I decided "let's do all three at ONCE!" and so here we are now.

That said, VVD, I REALLY hope you give it a shot. I was looking forward to your cast and pitch.

Last edited:

I remember when we were discussing how to move on with the Ultimization game, I suggested a "Remake/Revamp/Reboot" type game, where a concept would be given out by the host e.g. Doctor Who or Sonic the Hedgehog, and then participants would have to revamp the concept and pitch a story.

I think it would be fun. Maybe after Christmas.
It's funny you mention this... I intentionally made the first Dreamcasting spin-off thread 'Remakes' BECAUSE I remembered YOUR suggestion over at the Ultimatization Game

And it's actualy bothered me that when I went away from the board during my European vacation, I left with a thread called 'Remakes' and then came back being incredibly annoyed that it became 'Adaptations'.

Also, I made 'Remakes' because the original Dreamcasting was supposed to cover everything outside of comics too and I made a spin off to cover everything that was ALREADY a movie, TV or cartoon. It wasn't just comics. I didn't like the fact that it got ghetto-ized into comics and the Remakes became 'Adaptations' and therefore had to hold EVERYTHING else.

Okay, so let's just revive Dreamcasting: Remakes, except the new rule is there's a pitch, just as marvelman and Proj want it.

So it'll be...

Dreamcasting: Comics
Dreamcasting: Non-Comic Adaptations
Dreamcasting: The Remake Pitch

OR

Dreamcasting: Cinematic Intent
Dreamcasting: Special Remakes Unit

Last edited:

I apologize to everyone

Bad Day

Still, it goes to show how much I like my movie idea.

It really is a unique and good idea (see my last post on page 5) but it lacks the personal connection. And what happens with Verne by the end? I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd like it fleshed out just a little bit more. The cast is there, and the concept is there, but the execution is lacking that personal touch (even if it isnt through the McFly family this time, but rather through the Browns *wink nudge hint*)

So it'll be...

Dreamcasting: Comics
Dreamcasting: Non-Comic Adaptations
Dreamcasting: The Remake Pitch

OR

Dreamcasting: Cinematic Intent
Dreamcasting: Special Remakes Unit

Isn't this too much considering it's just for fun and less people are voting and entering than like 8 months ago. just seems this would kill it.

Just my opinion though

Yeah, I think having three is too much. I think the remake/pitch thing should be something separate, and not even involve dreamcasting.

Latest posts

Back