"Dumped" USM #78 Discussion/Spoilers

The thing is is that I found MJ's character to be inconsistant at times. Here we have a victim, a person thrown from a bridge, and, the next thing we know she's running off and welcoming back a person who was related to the person that did it. Where's the sense in that? Part of me makes me think that Bendis didn't really try to gradually lead towards the break-up, he just wanted it to happen. He used Harry to get between Peter and MJ and now we've got another SHIELD inmate that we don't really care about anymore.

Goodwill said:
Here we have a victim, a person thrown from a bridge, and, the next thing we know she's running off and welcoming back a person who was related to the person that did it. Where's the sense in that?

It's called not blaming someone for the wrongs of someone else...

Goodwill said:
The thing is is that I found MJ's character to be inconsistant at times. Here we have a victim, a person thrown from a bridge, and, the next thing we know she's running off and welcoming back a person who was related to the person that did it. Where's the sense in that? Part of me makes me think that Bendis didn't really try to gradually lead towards the break-up, he just wanted it to happen. He used Harry to get between Peter and MJ and now we've got another SHIELD inmate that we don't really care about anymore.

Number one, Harry and MJ are close friends. Will you stop being friends with someone just because you found out that his/her parent or sibling is a criminal? I think not. If you do, you're not much of a friend.

Number two, you have to see it in the perspective of MJ, and not as an omniscient reader. To her, Harry looked pretty normal and having had such grave traumatic experiences like having a dead mother and an insane father, the last thing she wants to happen is ignoring the poor guy.

Number three, the same concern also drove her to do stupid things, like ignoring Parker's warnings and running in the face of danger. But then again she had no idea what has Harry become. The only thing she knows is that there is tension between the two former friends, and one of the reasons (at least for MJ) is her hooking up with Harry and never telling Peter about it.

Goodz, I agree with you. I do like some traits that Bendis has characterized MJ with but as far as her relationship with Harry, I think it was one of the major reasons I hated the Hobgoblin arc. Even if they were friends Peter warned MJ a billion times (probably not exagerating) to stay away from Harry for good reason. Obviously if any of us were in MJ's shoes, we'd heed Spider-Man's advice and stay away from the pyscho family for the time being until the dust settles. cmdrjanjalani you had a good point 3 but it's sheer stupidity. MJ doesn't need a reason to stay away from someone that a super-hero tells her to stay away from. She should just shut up and listen. Which brings us to where we are now with Pete/MJ.

Thank you, MWOF.

The whole reason why Peter broke it off with MJ in the first place was because he could no longer trust her. He was giving her a warning every single time he could and she still neglected to listen. It was like she was only visiting the particular moment with Harry on that porch instead of her getting thrown off the bridge by Norman, etc. There were really no hints at a relationship before... It was definitely forced and you could tell because MJ's character was screwed around with.

Goodwill said:
The whole reason why Peter broke it off with MJ in the first place was because he could no longer trust her. He was giving her a warning every single time he could and she still neglected to listen.

No no no....you're completely misunderstanding. It has nothing to do with punishing her. This is a very scared Peter Parker trying his best to protect someone he loves. Yes, this is done out of love, as twisted as that may sound.

TheManWithoutFear said:
This I agree with.

Ditto. I agree also that what MJ did was stupid, and the readers are as pissed at MJ as Parker is, and that is why she ends up dumped. That's why regardless of what you guys think of the arc in its entirety, Bendis is still good in terms we get to feel the same amount of anger and irritation that Parker feels when he sees MJ running into the face of danger, despite warning her a thousand times.

Therefore although MJ is a cute girl with a great personality and pretty likable, we actually get to symphatize on Parker's decision to let her go and probably would do the same thing he did if we are wearing his spandex boots. :D

Last edited:
cmdrjanjalani said:
Ditto. I agree also that what MJ did was stupid, and the readers are as pissed at MJ as Parker is, and that is why she ends up dumped. That's why regardless of what you guys think of the arc in its entirety, Bendis is still good in terms we get to feel the same amount of anger and irritation that Parker feels when he sees MJ running into the face of danger, despite warning her a thousand times.

you guys also have to remember that peter doesn't tell MJ EVERYTHING. It's like telling a kid not to touch the stove. and never tell them WHAT the stove is. Peter did the same thing over and over again. he kept telling MJ stay here or don't talk to them. but he never told her why. and there only so many times you can hear "don't touch the stove" without going and finding out what this "stove" is.

UltimateE said:
No no no....you're completely misunderstanding. It has nothing to do with punishing her. This is a very scared Peter Parker trying his best to protect someone he loves. Yes, this is done out of love, as twisted as that may sound.

Yes, but do you really think the break-up would've happened without Harry coming along and shaking things up? I don't think so. I do agree with you that this is Peter trying to make up for Gwen's demise, but there's more to it than that. Yes, love has a lot to do with it, but there's also Peter looking out for himself there, too.

Goodwill said:
Yes, but do you really think the break-up would've happened without Harry coming along and shaking things up?

Yes. It wasn't about Harry, although Harry certainly sped things up.

Goodwill said:
I do agree with you that this is Peter trying to make up for Gwen's demise, but there's more to it than that.

Not really what I was saying, but an interesting note.

Goodwill said:
Yes, love has a lot to do with it, but there's also Peter looking out for himself there, too.

Wha--? The whole ESSENSE of Spider-Man is that this is a person who is so wrecked with guilt that he CAN'T look out for himself!

3 days later...

I agree with Goodz up until the comment about punishment...nigma was on point with his comment as well as these things were all reasons. Reasons which were reinforced during the strange section of superstars..the nightmare scenario was to show petes feelings for his future choice.

As for raxton...he is white, perhaps you are thinking of him when he is powered up or whatever...or as usual, you might want to blame a colorist for that...but as our new member mentioned, he is indeed liz allens step brother in 616....good chance that he might stay in that role in ultimate and be this "mutant" brother liz spoke of earlier in the series.

The Captain said:
As for raxton...he is white, perhaps you are thinking of him when he is powered up or whatever...or as usual, you might want to blame a colorist for that...but as our new member mentioned, he is indeed liz allens step brother in 616....good chance that he might stay in that role in ultimate and be this "mutant" brother liz spoke of earlier in the series.

How could you possibly believe after reading the issue that an actual "Molten Man" is going to appear. The cameo is over. Perhaps Raxton will be a supporting character but I'll be disappointed if he ever gets some form of powers.

I was thinking the same thing when someone said that he played in a band called Molten Man. I didn't think, after that, I would ever want him to get powers because, if he were given his molten powers, it would be too coincidental to the band name. Unless, of course, Raxton got his powers intentionally. It's a different story with someone like Dazz, but people shouldn't have bands similar to their powers.

TheManWithoutFear said:
How could you possibly believe after reading the issue that an actual "Molten Man" is going to appear. The cameo is over. Perhaps Raxton will be a supporting character but I'll be disappointed if he ever gets some form of powers.

you need to reread what i said again as i was talking about the 616 molten man....NOT ult mark raxton... when i spoke of molten man...

As for the chances of him bein molten man, who really knows, i honestly dont care about the cast of usm at this point....the series is starting to show its age and it needs a real change of direction to interest me. Raxton doesnt necessarily have to become molten man to have an impact...he could be another "parallel" character like ben reily....being associated in name only as a character and yet serving another purpose to the series..

Last edited:
Ok, I finally got the issue...

I thought that the issue was relatively decent, only it seemed to drag on a bit due to both the coloring and the dialogue, which actually matched the horrendousness of the coloring. It got so bad that, in the attempts Bagley made to tell the story through his art (MJ mistakingly seeing Peter at the mall and in the pit at the music scene), the coloring threw me off a bit. For a second I thought the girl that resembled Peter was going to be some new character introduced, but looked back and figure differently. It's that kind of thing that really gets me going. Here we've got Bagley really doing a great job, it's obvious, and the colorer comes in and ****s on his stuff. It's gross. Also, I thought the "What's so special about Peter Parker?" and how MJ handled everything was brilliant, so I'll give Bendis a pat on the back for that one. I thought that Raxton was a character I would like to see back and I found myself actually enjoying Kong's dialogue in this issue. Unlike Flash, he seems to have changed since the "Detention" issue.

We'll see how Warriors goes. I'm a little more comfortable with it knowing that it's going to be seven issues... That means we'll have room for all of these characters stopping by.

Also, I was extremely amused at the shirt that read, "The Used" in the band scene. Bagley knows about one of the lower-stream bands that I listen to. Awesome!

Goodwill said:
I thought that the issue was relatively decent, only it seemed to drag on a bit due to both the coloring

Alright, you lost me with that one.

Read my post. I said the coloring took what oppurtunities Bagley tried to make through his art and destroyed them. See the page where MJ thinks she sees Peter in the mall... It took me a while to get what was going on because of the odd coloration differences...

Goodwill said:
Read my post. I said the coloring took what oppurtunities Bagley tried to make through his art and destroyed them. See the page where MJ thinks she sees Peter in the mall... It took me a while to get what was going on because of the odd coloration differences...

Oh I know what you meant. Even though I didn't necessarily agree about the coloring, I at least respected your opinion. That is, until you equated the pacing of the story with the coloring. :roll:

Latest posts

Back