Emma Frost: A Fraud

I was really hoping you wouldn't bring Mad Eye to the table, partially because the reason why we're arguing. I thought the imposter Mad Eye was cool and, along with Harry, now I really don't really know the genuine Mad Eye. That's the feeling I get when I read Mad Eye's name.

i believe that unsettling feeling is quite intended. with a mystique switch around it'd be similar.

i don't necessarily agree with everything the good doctor's got (i think the cat angle is more important), but having emma frost not be emma frost wouldn't be demanding a brand new emma frost- though it would demand a reaffirmation and fleshing out of the character- nor would it be throwing out mystique fully formed- you'd only have a single aspect of her personality, that being that she spies and impersonates and such, and can do it pretty well.

it's not tossing out emma and birthing mystique (or asking too much)- it's developing mystique and questioning the reality of emma frost's personality.

Yes, I see it your way, but it is throwing out what we know about Emma Frost... Since the actual Emma would react once uncovered, unless dead, when the **** hits the fan. The whole thing is a bad idea when the whole arc is supposed to be focusing on Polaris and Magneto.

I really don't mean to be rude and punch blow your theory out of the water but Mystique is clearly the cat. Look at your old issues, the cat is everywhere. Look at Kitty's first appearance in the book when she's walking down the street with her friends. No Prof X, but his cat is right outside on the trashcans. Also in every scene where Prof X visits the brainwashed Magneto in the park, there is always an orange butterfly flying around. The same color as the cat. I too think there is more to Emma then we know right now, but she aint Mystique.

Well, you do have to remember there have been different writers on this book. While Millar intended the cat to be Mystique, Bendis didn't have any intention of persuing that story since, after the cliff we got in one issue before he came on, he ignored it. So, whether or not Mystique is the cat is still questionable, especially since we don't know Vaughan's intentions for the character. I will say that we've had plenty of hints directly from Vaughan on his message board, but I just have to play devil's advocate here. I can't agree or else the conversation would stop... I wouldn't want that.

Welcome, Shmo! I hope that was a warm enough welcome for you! :)... I hope to see more posts from you later on.

I'm not saying that its Mystique necessarily, i said it could be, and speculated that it was.

If its not, I think Emma is working with Magneto.

I am convinced that she's up to something devious...

I didn't notice the butterfly... Will have to check that out.

I wouldn't give the body-mass thing too much creedence. They certainly could ditch that for the Ultimate version, and I see no reason to say or think that they probably won't.

I really don't think Vaughan has anything planned for Emma outside of what we've seen, but I've been wrong before...

I'm just glad that in the preview she's yelling...

I like her to be domineering and well, the White Queen!

Emma Frost being this kindly old lady reads to me like making Ultimate Hitler the inventor of Chocolate. Sure its another take, but it doenst have the power of the original!

I still say she's got something up her sleeve.

i sure hope she's got something... i'd at least like her to be a shade bitcchy... i mean, c'mon, find one comic where she's not.

no one actually do that, i'm completely pretending i know much more than i do.

also: i can't believe you don't like ultimate hitler!!

seriously, best candy related comic released... ever.

Last edited:
Well, it's funny that you mention the White Queen and everything... Magneto's playing chess, for one thing (Which could be an indication of something), and Vaughan is bringing back some of his old characters for a final visit, meaning Syndicate could be showing up, hot on the tail of the Hellfire Club. Maybe he turns up at Emma's door.

consider: emma is on the scene when polaris freaks out, and we don't really know the status of her psychic powers...

Shade said:
consider: emma is on the scene when polaris freaks out, and we don't really know the status of her psychic powers...

Good point...

And the Chess/White Queen thing just occured to me, thanks Goody! Yeah.... I think that she makes a fantastic bad gal, so yeah!

Shade said:
Consider... the fireman say something about Frost's freaks or something arriving, not Frost and her freaks. She sends Alex, Lorna, and Northstar, to the best of my recollection. The fact that we see her in Part 2 dealing with the fall-out at the scene means she was obviously summoned in the wake of Lorna's "accident".

I think you're all reading too much into links that aren't there. I mean, if 616 Emma = Ultimate Emma, then she wouldn't have boned Charles, and would be trying to pry Jean off of Scott so she could have him. She's about as similar to her 616 self as Psycho Girl Gwen was to 616 Gwen, and I think you all just need to learn to accept that.

Last edited:
Excellent point... Personally, I couldn't care less either way. I only know one Emma and that's the Ultimate counterpart.

jtg3885 said:
I think you're all reading too much into links that aren't there. I mean, if 616 Emma = Ultimate Emma, then she wouldn't have boned Charles, and would be trying to pry Jean off of Scott so she could have him. She's about as similar to her 616 self as Psycho Girl Gwen was to 616 Gwen, and I think you all just need to learn to accept that.

Ultimate Gwen Stacy was so radically different ONLY because she was portrayed in a modern light. She wasn't the obediant good-girl, but she was there to get in between Peter's relationship with MJ, and to form a strong bond with Peter. To make her totally different she would have had to be Flash's girlfriend, or a slut.

When it comes down to it all Ultimate Characters serve the same purposes.

Im not saying there won't be differences, because there will and should be. But if 616 was the same age as a younger, powerful, Xavier in his prime, and she wanted to get into a position where she could have a taste of that power, do you honestly think she wouldn't get with him? Of course she would.

Its the same character approached differently, and put into entirely different situations. But the essence is the same.

Back to Ultimate Emma Frost. I suspect that she was in the Savage Land when Charles was crippled, and soon after started the "Academy of Tomorrow" under Magneto's orders. I'd guess she has more of a part to play in the rift between them, wanting to play Queen to Erik's King moreso than Charles' wife. I'd even wager a guess that they are lovers.

A plan was made in case of Magneto's capture, and the plan has simply been carrying itself out to release him...

A role that could be played out by a Bad Emma, or a Bad Mystique. But what I'm now curious about is the identity of Lorna Dane's Mother... I mean, she isn't a Maximoff, but i suspect they haven't changed her relationship to the big guy...

Latest posts

Back