Ex Machina series discussion (spoilers)

I read the first volume of this, and was impressed, somehow, without superheroics and with mindless politics, it weaves a good story. The main character seems, at this point anyways, a nice guy

I'm diggin' this a lot. Not as much as Y-The Last Man.....but still enough for me to order the other trades this morning.

The concept of him being the only superhero in the world and then quitting is intriguing to me. And the idea that he saved one of the towers is even cooler.

Yep, the first issue of this series is one of the best I have ever read.

Last edited:
Did anyone see the major final page to this week's issue? I'm disappointed. Vaughan was going on and on about how it was his favorite ending ever and all it was was Mayor Hundred smoking weed...

I haven't read the entire arc yet because I tradewait but this seriously broke my heart. Is it because BKV likes to light up? Or is it symbolic for the medical useage because it shows Mitch useing it to oppose the chaos that often comes with his abilities.

I don't know... :?

Well, take comfort in the fact that there is no way this plotline can end well. Hundred's going to get nailed for this, and the ironic backdrop it's set against (The Great Machine's bust gone wrong, the woman immolating herself because her son was killed after the bust) will come back and slap Hundred HARD.

What I like is that BKV is completely willing to show the Hundred can be the world's stupidest smart man - he means well, he wants to achieve good things, but he gets mired in how to make things happen. Plus, his heart is going to break when he discovers who his mystery opponent is.

I know BKV said that this was a limited series - how close are we to the planned end?

He's said he plans for Ex Machina to last 50 issues - the entire first (and last?) term of Mitchell Hundred.

I haven't read the entire arc yet because I tradewait but this seriously broke my heart. Is it because BKV likes to light up? Or is it symbolic for the medical useage because it shows Mitch useing it to oppose the chaos that often comes with his abilities.

I don't know... :?

I think he needs to light up to not go insane... I don't know why it was a favorite ending for him... I think he enjoys the irony...

Maybe ask him on the Cabal?

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'm confused. I was so eager to read this because of all the hype about the last page. I tradewait this but I went to the store to flip through it anyway...

I'm a pretty big advocate against smoking marijuana...

What are you trying to say here Brian?

For medical purposes I can see how this mirror's Mayor's Hundred's indulgence but if you're it's for the recreational reason and you're plugging it, I'll probably die a little inside.

Sorry if I just don't understand because I haven't read the full arc yet... I was just anxious because of the hype.

BKV said:
I just thought it was an exquisitely drawn, inked and colored page that captured a very dramatic moment. I never like to explain or defend what I'm trying to say with a story, but as always, Mayor Hundred's beliefs and practices very rarely have anything to do with my own.

Let us know what you think after you've read the whole arc,
BKV
Done and Done.

I thought this arc was kind of dull but then I read the latest issue and now I remember why this comic is one of my favourites.

Has anybody heard of an old British TV serial called Quartermass and the Pit?

It apparently has a cult following in England, and the more I read about it, the more I realize just how influential it might be. I saw its title mentioned in several places before, but I hadn't bothered to look it up until today.

Anyway, I'm bringing it up in this thread because I strongly suspect that BKV has seen the show, and plans to incorporate one or two of the main ideas into Ex Machina.

Seriously, read through this plot summary, and you'll notice a few parallels with the over-all events of the series, particularly those related to the alien relic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_and_the_Pit#Plot

We already know that BKV has *some* familiarity with cult British televsion -- he explicitly name-dropped The Prisoner (a big influence on Lost, too, apparently) in Runaways.

It's not much of a stretch to assume that he's familiar with Quartermass, as well.

Anybody else here think i'm onto something?

Did anyone see the major final page to this week's issue? I'm disappointed. Vaughan was going on and on about how it was his favorite ending ever and all it was was Mayor Hundred smoking weed...
How were you dissapointed? I loved this ending, and not just because me, Mayor Hundred, and DIB all have something in common...

Seriously, read the entire arc. It fits in with the story pretty well, its just one of those quiet moments showing that Hundred isn't as perfect as he acts, its just showing his weakness.
I haven't read the entire arc yet because I tradewait but this seriously broke my heart.
:roll: Right...Because a comic book characters recreational drug choices effect you.
Is it because BKV likes to light up? Or is it symbolic for the medical useage because it shows Mitch useing it to oppose the chaos that often comes with his abilities.
Good question, I wondered the same thing. Upon further reflection, I'm not sure BKV was advocating a pro or anti MJ agenda, he was probably just using it to show Hundred's weakness.

And I agree with whoever said this is gonna come back around and bite Hundred in the ***... BKV likes to show both sides of issues in unexpected ways.

Latest issue was good by the way. A nice standalone explaining a little bit about Bradbury. Cause mother****ing nobody's got his back.

:roll: Right...Because a comic book characters recreational drug choices effect you.
Shut up MJ. You know what I meant.

So when I get trades through the mail, they usually slip them right through the slot. Yesterday I got one of those notes saying "You weren't home. come pick it up at the post office. blah blah blah." Man, I hate going to pick this **** up at the Post Office. I don't have a car. It's a hike to it through a barren desolate area of Philadelphia. Just pisses me off. And I could fill it out telling them when to bring it again but I never know when I'll be home. Like this morning would've been perfect.

Shut up MJ. You know what I meant.

Apparently I don't. If you meant that you were heartbroken that BKV endorses drug use, he doesn't (at least in this arc). If you want to clarify, I'm curious, but lets not devolve this into a legalization debate.

But seriously, check out the whole arc. It makes a lot of sense in context, and its probably my favorite last page.

And I give the new issue a 4/5...It was a little jumpy, but it was well done. I liked seeing all the slices of Bradburys life, it was interesting. I also really liked Bradburys dad...For some reason upon second reading that scene struck me as hillarious (and before anyone accuses me of insensitivity, my home was broken at an early age). What a pimp.

The art also really impressed me on second reading. I love how Harris does such great detail on the important parts of a scene, but is willing to either use stock images for backgrounds, or not even draw a background. Seriously, I bet half the panels in this issue had no background at all. Really creates a cool atmosphere, IMO.

So... issue # 25. This kinda shot my attempts at compiling an exact timeline all to hell, because it's the first issue not to have the dates stated.

So far I've made educated guesses and found reasonable places for everything but the first two flashbacks (Bradbury as a kid and the strip joint), so anyone have any idea around what time it might be that these two are happening? Anyone remember if there's ever been any reference to how old Bradbury is or the age difference between him and Hundred?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back