Fables series discussion (spoilers)

I just finished "Witches" and found it to be better than the last two trades. I really liked Ozma's power grabbing and general sneakiness, and Bufkin's storyline was highly entertaining.

So, I just read #100 and am all caught up. After The Good Prince it started to go downhill again and the writing became very rushed and uneven. The war felt too glossed over, like they were in a huge rush to get to the Mr. Dark story.

But it picked back up again with Rose Red's story and Witches. I really enjoyed both.

I felt like it took me longer than it did to catch up on this. It wasn't as engaging a read as Walking Dead - I blew through 70+ issues of that in less than 2 weeks. This took me the better part of a couple months.

I will keep reading, though, and I already got the first two deluxe edition volumes.

How'd you feel about the overall futility of Frau Totenkinder? I'm sure Boy Blue is gonna be the one to come and close the Mr. Dark story. But Frau was becoming such a badass and then goes out with a major whimper and just gives up?

I didn't think she went out with a whimper, but that fight did seem kind of glossed over or rushed. Pacing is a real problem in this series - many of the plots are paced pretty well but some are just rushed, and they tend to be what should be the more interesting ones.

So, this is going to be a cape comic for a few issues. I don't like it.
Pinocchio being in a wheelchair to be the achetypical driving force for the superteam was especially stupid. Is that realy a recurring theme in comics? The only one I know of is Xavier.

So, this is going to be a cape comic for a few issues. I don't like it.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think if they had used generic versions of superheroes (think Squadron Supreme) I would be more OK with it, but the idea of the existing Fables as superheros just doesn't sound very appealing to me.

I photocopied Fables 100 dozens and dozens of times in its entirety, every stage of the process (rough sketches, pencils, inks, colors, letters), during my time with Vertigo... It has kind of left me numb to the series. I think I need to take a break for a few months to recharge my appreciation for the series.

Also: I left one of the original Shanower pencils for Fables 101 on the photocopier overnight once. That sure made me feel like a smart fella.

It just hasn't been the same since the crossover.

I'm still enjoying it. I liked the witches coven, and Rose Red's return from madness. The Frau battle with Mr. Dark was well done and I'm glad she didn't beat him.

I've been rereading Fables while I rot from within with a fever/sickness.

In rereading Blue's death, I think I realized why he was killed. He had bonded with the Witching cloak so much that spell of unbinding that the Dark One casted on the cloak affected him as well.

In rereading Blue's death, I think I realized why he was killed. He had bonded with the Witching cloak so much that spell of unbinding that the Dark One casted on the cloak affected him as well.
I think they established that in the comic that's pretty much exactly what happened.

So I have a question regarding rights. Does anyone get the feeling that when Bill Willingham announced that ABC had the rights to make a Fables television series he was actually unaware that he had given up the rights so that Disney could make there Once Upon a Time show without any competition regarding an actual Fables story coming to life?

Wow. I didn't know about the ABC rights and am only vaguely aware that the current show exists. That's not cool.

They are nothing alilke though.
With the exception of the modern (mundy) world crossover. But that's the point. My theory's pretty much Disney wanted to do this story and they saw that the only person in the way of competition was Willingham's Fables so they go to him and suggest they're going to do a Fables series but instead make Once Upton A Time. You don't think they're anything alike now. But if Willingham hadn't teamed up with ABC and was in production with another network Disney/ABC would come down on him so fast because they couldn't have their beloved Disney princesses tarnished but what would be a more mature and ultimately better story dealing with fairytale characters in the real world.

Just finish Peter & Max. Pretty cool. Loved seeing Bigby through the eyes of a character that still does not trust him even till now. Only problem I had was this seems like the first time he's written the original stories surrounding the invasion if I can recall. Most of the fairytale character's stories made them popular pre-invasion right?

Last edited:
I have a doubt the writers even know about Fables, considering they said this quote, "I could be wrong, but I think this is the first time anyone's shown Snow White with a sword, or pregnant."

Anyways, I enjoyed the Peter and Max story, for the shear fact Max was such a badass.

Last edited:
I have a doubt the writers even know about Fables, considering they said this quote, "I could be wrong, but I think this is the first time anyone's shown Snow White with a sword, or pregnant."
Writer's are pawns. It was the higher ups making the moves.
Anyways, I enjoyed the Peter and Max story, for the shear fact Max was such a badass.
Yes. Easily one of my favorite Fables villains. The showdown was pretty quick but it made a lot of sense.

Thought Super-Team (Vol. 16) was supposed to be out today but I was wrong. Trying to finish Jack of Fables. It's too bad I'm trying to be complete the collection because I can't stand the character Jack and I dislike his spin-off even more. What's worse is I'm on the Fulminate Blade arc or whatever and Jack's not even in it. What's worse is there are very little to absolutely no references to any fables or fairytale characters. One more trade to go before I'm done with it.

Jack of Fables is probably the worst Vertigo comic I have ever read.

Latest posts

Back