Fables series discussion (spoilers)

Did anyone read #81?

One of the saddest things I've read. Poor Boy Blue. He was my favourite character. :(

I tried to read this, and I really wanted to get into it like I have with other vertigo and indie comics. I went out and bought the first volume, but I couldn't get past issue three. I love the premise, but the pacing was just way off. It wasn't what I expected at all, and it really turned me off. The art wasn't my favorite either. It was good, I don't think it really fits the story though.

This crossover sounds interesting though, so I may try to give it another chance.

I tried to read this, and I really wanted to get into it like I have with other vertigo and indie comics. I went out and bought the first volume, but I couldn't get past issue three. I love the premise, but the pacing was just way off. It wasn't what I expected at all, and it really turned me off. The art wasn't my favorite either. It was good, I don't think it really fits the story though.

This crossover sounds interesting though, so I may try to give it another chance.

Lots of people don't like the first volume. When people say it gets better later on, it has never been truer than with Fables. Keep going. I, and many others, think it really picks up after Vol. 2. Also, the new artist, Mark Buckingham, takes over and he is great.

Last edited:
Lots of people don't like the first volume. When people say it gets better later on, it has never been truer than with Fables. Keep going. I, and many others, think it really picks up after Vol. 2. Also, the new artist, Mark Buckingham, takes over and he is great.

Interesting. I'll take your word for it and see if I can try the next few volumes.

So, I'm caught up on both series now in preparation for the Great Fables Crossover.

I'm a little curious about something. With the GFC covering the Literals, what the hell is Jack going to have as a "hook" after it? I mean, I've been a defender of JoF since it's inception, both because I found the Literals to be fascinating (I really can't wait for the crossover) and because I found it's more "lowbrow" humor to be a nice change of pace from Fables itself.

However, if the crossover deals with the Literals in a semi-permanent fashion, I'm really at a loss for what JoF could pick up with. Fables can, of course, go back to the Mister Dark plotline along with the issue of "How do Fables really die?". JoF sort of revolved around the Literals as far as actual plot advancement went.

I suppose they could deal with Jack's son with the Snow Queen, but that can really only go so far. Hrm.

I'm not sure what's going to happen with Jack but it sounds like Bigby and Snow are taking over the Jack of Fables title.

I'm hoping Willingham doesn't go too far with the Literals. I have a feeling that Willingham is going to break the fourth/fifth wall and use the Literals as a way to interact with the Fables. I think this has been too much with Animal Man/Promethea and would probably ruin Fables.

This is why I'm worried about the Great Fables Crossover. Of course, Willingham always does something unexpected so I'm sure it will be alright... but he also killed Boy Blue, my favourite character so I'm scared. :(

I'm not sure what's going to happen with Jack but it sounds like Bigby and Snow are taking over the Jack of Fables title.

I'm not completely sure, but from what I've read about the Crossover is that Bigby and Snow only take over JoF for the duration of the crossover (And team up with Gary and Revise to go after Thorne, from what it sounds like). So, three issues. Basically, Willingham said "What's the point of a crossover if the characters don't actually cross over?"

I'm hoping Willingham doesn't go too far with the Literals. I have a feeling that Willingham is going to break the fourth/fifth wall and use the Literals as a way to interact with the Fables. I think this has been too much with Animal Man/Promethea and would probably ruin Fables.

I'm almost positive that the Literals are going to be dealt with during the crossover and that will be that. I can really only see Gary and, possibly, the Page Sisters sticking around after the crossover. After that, Fables and Jack of Fables will go back to their regularly scheduled storylines.

As far as breaking the fourth wall, I don't know if you've been reading JoF at all (I know you said you stopped reading at one point), but. . .they've actually introduced the Fourth Wall as a character (A Literal, of course). So, other than her, I doubt we'll be getting much "interaction" with the characters.

This is why I'm worried about the Great Fables Crossover. Of course, Willingham always does something unexpected so I'm sure it will be alright... but he also killed Boy Blue, my favourite character so I'm scared. :(

As sad as it was, it was still brilliantly handled. I have faith in the man. The Literals are my favorite part of JoF and the main reason I keep reading it. The GFC should be quite entertaining.

Last edited:
Yeah, I stopped reading Jack of Fables after that boring Las Vegas arc. Do you think I should catch up for the crossover?

Yeah, I stopped reading Jack of Fables after that boring Las Vegas arc. Do you think I should catch up for the crossover?

The Bad Prince arc is a bit. . .blah, but Americana, Turning Pages and The Books of War were all enjoyable. Jack's rather annoying, but JoF's supporting cast is pretty damn good and makes the book worth reading.

I guess it's really up to you, but since the Literals are the focus of the crossover, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. The last two arcs have focused more on them rather than Jack, anyways. That, and there's an excellent short arc about how Bigby found Jack in the first place and how he brought him to Fabletown.

Last edited:
In the new Jack Of Fables issue, it was revealed that Jack is Half-Literal and the son of Prince Charming & Prose Page. Page is the mother of the Page Sisters. Who Jack slept with, his half sisters.

The entire book was worth it for this reveal.

Last edited:
In the new Jack Of Fables issue, it was revealed that Jack is Half-Liberal and the son of Prince Charming & Prose Page. Page is the mother of the Page Sisters. Who Jack slept with, his half sisters.

The entire book was worth it for this reveal.

I think you mean "Half-Literal". :lol:

But yeah, I was shocked by that reveal. It was definitely worth it.

It's nice to see Snow & Beauty are the real power in the relationships.

The Church Of Boy Blue...:lol:

It was a great start to the crossover.

Read both Fables and Jack, as well as the preview for The Literals.

I think it's interesting that both titles focused on their primary villains in addition to the Literals. Fables had Mr. Dark, who I'm starting to think is either a Literal or a new type of creature altogether. Because he's way too powerful to be simply a Fable. If he's not a Literal, I'd guess one of the Powers, like the North Wind or the Djinn. And Jack had Jack's son, who has become the new Jack Frost.

Kevin Thorne is one scary ****, though. And I'm pretty sure the guy in the straight jacket who keeps appearing with him is Writer's Block. Either way, I'm intrigued with where these stories are going. I like that they're not just cutting away to the crossover either. Both titles still featuring their regular antagonists is a nice change of pace from most blockbuster crossovers.

Last edited:
I would like to see Bigby's reaction to Jack saying he was leaving Jack of Fables and going to the main book.

Latest posts

Back