Fables series discussion (spoilers)

I think it's interesting that both titles focused on their primary villains in addition to the Literals. Fables had Mr. Dark, who I'm starting to think is either a Literal or a new type of creature altogether. Because he's way too powerful to be simply a Fable. If he's not a Literal, I'd guess one of the Powers, like the North Wind or the Djinn. And Jack had Jack's son, who has become the new Jack Frost.

I heared this theorie that mr dark is the horror genre. Im not sure what to make of him myself though.

Okay, so I'm catching up on the Great Fables Crossover now that I don't have a job. What does it for me is that the villain isn't just a writer. He's a bad writer.

:D And General Jack's great. But what's up with the thought bubble blue bull baby and foreign gibberish pig?

Hehe.... (No! Don't hurt Jack! I hate him too, but, God help me, I still love him so!)

Last edited:
Babe the Blue Ox? He's a running gag in Jack's series. He has delusions of grandeur and the formula is always the same. Four panels of ridiculous thoughts, one blank panel, and a panel with the punchline.

While I don't think Fables is as good as it used to be, I am enjoying the crossover. Kevin keeps turning Bigby into random things and the latest part ended with him being turned into a little girl.

While I don't think Fables is as good as it used to be, I am enjoying the crossover. Kevin keeps turning Bigby into random things and the latest part ended with him being turned into a little girl.

For some reason, the GFC seems. . .off. All three books read like Jack right now.

I'm enjoying it, but I'm sort of anxious for it to be over so we can get back to our regularly scheduled storylines. I'm far more curious about Mr. Dark and the fates of Boy Blue and Prince Charming at this point then I am about what happens to Kevin Thorne. Especially since they sort of hinted this issue that Dex is going to deal with him (Which is a cop out if true).

I enjoyed the Dark Ages TPB.

Parts I liked:
How Rose gets called out by a dying Boy Blue.
How the Farm Fables are making up their own tales of Boy Blue.
How Stinky came up with the idea that the mundy world they live in is just another Fable world.
Kay cutting out his eyes once more, cause of Gephetto's sins.
Freddy's mount.

Things that were meh
Gephetto being buried. He had nothing to fear from them, so why go into the hole?
Mr. Dark. He's a way too generic villain, the only interesting bit being the bit with the teeth. I understood the need for him to destroy Fabletown, the mundy Fables got way too powerful, they needed to taken down a notch.
Beauty's sudden love for Prince Charming.

Frau Totenkinder is magnificent. I can't wait to see what she does now.

I decided to give this another shot. I had read the first arc previously and cared nothing for it, and this time around it wasn't much different. Things seem forced, both story and character-wise. And the plot was blah.

The second arc (Animal Farm) was markedly better. I'll keep going with it but only because I'm forcing myself to. I'm not looking forward to each issue like I was when I read through Walking Dead or Ex Machina.

I can't wait for the next trade to come out. I finished Crossover and I'm catching up on Jack and I'm completely underwhelmed by these excursions from the main storylines Mr. Dark. Need to find Peter & Max and Cinderella's mini next too. Hopefully they'll be better than Jack's stories and the whole Crossover story.

I am still in love in Fables. I care more about Jack's son but it is blah, Cinderella was awesome and was like old school Fables. I expect great things when I finally read 100.

2cffe89d14855511eee2bde95d8e71041d728b2c.jpg

I have to say - I'm about 18 issues in and the series is a lot better than the first arc was. It was a little slow and uninteresting but I'm enjoying it now.

I just finished The Good Prince and it was fantastic! The quality of writing has increased exponentially from arc to arc since the beginning of the series.

Flycatcher is one of the best characters.

Latest posts

Back