Fantastic Four #554-569 (Millar/Hitch) discussion (Spoilers!)

Re: Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch take over Fantastic Four!

Well, to be fair, Hitch is finished with the first five already, and it doesn't even start until next year. But, yeah, this won't be monthly.

And how far ahead were they supposed to have been when Ultimates 2 started?

And how far ahead were they supposed to have been when Ultimates 2 started?
Hitch was on drawing issue 5. But also, Hitch didn't have the same lead time he has now. He also had to ink some of issues on Ultimates himself because at the time, the inker had to leave because his mother had a stroke. And Ultimates was more detailed.

Well, to be fair, Hitch is finished with the first five already

Even if it's not an outright lie on Marvel's part, it's a blatant misdirection. Unless the pages are inked and colored, it means nothing, because Hitch will keep getting them back and tinkering with them.

I'm not criticizing Hitch so much as I am Marvel - don't sit there and tell us that it will be monthly when you know full well that you have no control over that whatsoever. Tell us you realize that fans were put off and upset with the Ultimates 2 delays and you are doing everything in your power to have plenty of issues in the can when the run actually starts, and then tell us what you are doing.

I am damn excited...

Even if both Shade and I were falling asleep at the panel...

(Marvel Panels SUCKED this weekend)

Even if it's not an outright lie on Marvel's part, it's a blatant misdirection. Unless the pages are inked and colored, it means nothing, because Hitch will keep getting them back and tinkering with them.

I'm not criticizing Hitch so much as I am Marvel - don't sit there and tell us that it will be monthly when you know full well that you have no control over that whatsoever. Tell us you realize that fans were put off and upset with the Ultimates 2 delays and you are doing everything in your power to have plenty of issues in the can when the run actually starts, and then tell us what you are doing.

I actually think it's going to go quite a while without it being delayed. I think if they're on for longer than 12 issues, then it will definitely be delayed. It is inevitable. I don't think many artists can do 36 issues in 3 years without something going wrong at least once.

That said, it's mentioned how he's back to doing his Authority-style (still widescreen, just without as much detail as Ultimates) so he's doing 1 issue every 3 weeks. I'm just hoping he can keep this up and we can go as long as possible without delays.

We had a whole thread dedicated to what it could be with a poll , Images leaked/realsed out were done in secret. Sorry Dude but from all that I expected something like a huge one-shot or mini.

Might of just been me.

We knew from the get go they were taking over a current on-going. that was part of the deal.
I am VERY excited for this. it's just the type of thing that truly has very little repercussions. The FF deal with things on such a massive scale that it usually isn't in the scope of the other characters. This gives Hitlar a perfect platform to do whatever the hell they want. I think this book has some AWESOME potential. I am really looking forward to it.

Well, this is just great. Now I'm going to have to add another comic book to my pull list. Mind you, my pull list consits of USM, UFF, Ultimates, and Astonishing X-Men, but still, that's just one more thing I have to keep track of . . . .

Man, when you write it all down like that, you tend to realize just how little you actually read. Oh well.

I didn't like Millar's run on the Ultimate Fantastic four (Evidently one of the few), so I have no idea if I'm going to enjoy this.

make that three new titles to pick up along with flash and booster gold.

Millar + Hitch = I will buy it. There is no way this is going to suck. For the preview art alone, this will be worth the cover price every month. (Hopefully it will be out every month but even if not...)

It is going to be great, definitely going to buy it, but..

"And oh yeah, and they plan on it being monthly!"

..pull the other one:roll:

New pages (sketches) from Marvel.com:

#554 Cover
FF554.jpg

#554 page 3
FF554insidepage.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Millar said:
I had a second year planned, but realized my contract runs out Summer 08. So I'm stuffed. The 12 will be great, tho. All the best stuff and very fulfilling. It also means I get Hitchy for all 12.

Damnit, I was hoping the 12 issues was only a rumour and that they were actually going to do 36 issues.

I'm pretty sure this will be on time then.

Meh.

I haven't followed F4 since the Road to Civil War.....and their Civil War tie-ins had me drop the book as soon as Ben went to France.

I'll check this out because it's Millar and Hitch. But I'm not exactly estactic over this announcement.

To be honest---I'd prefer Warren Ellis do this instead of Astonishing and allow him to rip loose with his knack for crazy sci-fi and over-the-topness......and have Millar and Hitch do Astonishing. At least that way when the book still ships every other month it won't seem like such a big suprise.
I see what you mean, but to be honest... Millar on FF and Ellis on Astonishing is actually tons more interesting than Ellis on FF and Millar on Astonishing because the former seems too obvious a match up.

An X-Men book with Millar on it is just an invitation to see him do the same polemic brouhaha that he's already done before in both Ultimate books he's written, while Ellis has already pretty much beaten the path of "science for the good of all" in books like UFF and Planetary.

I'd say that their current assignments are an opportunity for us to see them in fresher writing capacities...

If I'm not misremembering, Ellis says he is looking at Astonishing as a technical challenge, one in which he actually tries to wrestle with an entirely commercial approach. (Morrison did a similar thing, which I like to describe as 'the intensely commercial appeal of the fringe and alternative subculture' or 'X-Men as MTV')

Millar, on the other hand, isn't doing the 'let's pull all the stops out cause I can' approach which he so heavily embraced in UFF by declaring, 'Nothing is TOO stupid for the Fantastic Four' and instead focusing on the whole 'family microcosm' aspect, describing Doom as 'that weird Uncle that Mum and Dad don't speak to anymore' and making plans to introduce 'the girlfriend that got away' and other such things like that.

I'm actually only moderately excited about this, but I just wanted to point out the potential goods that come from the anti-pairing to your dream pairing.

FOOM.

I'm interested in Ellis' ASTONISHING X-Men, but Millar - I thought his ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR was dull. I didn't even finish reading the run. So I've not got much interest in it. I'm sure though, I'll give it a fair read when it comes out.

Millar - I thought his ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR was dull. I didn't even finish reading the run. So I've not got much interest in it. I'm sure though, I'll give it a fair read when it comes out.
Me too.

I totally hated everything after Crossover basically. Tomb of Namor was absolute bollocks.

But I don't know why I'm being lured again...!

Seriously, I was listening to a podcast interview with him and it's obvious he's not trying to do a 'de-Ultimatized' version of his own UFF run, and I'm actually swallowing it all up.

Latest posts

Back