Fantastic Four general series discussion (spoilers)

ultimatedjf

Has anyone else read #534 yet? Because I did, and I didn't understand what the heck happened! Could somebody please post a summary of Hulk's actions, and who all those characters were and who the hospital dude was and what his visions were? Thanks.

:(

Re: Fantastic Four series discussion (spoilers)

ultimatedjf said:
Has anyone else read #534 yet? Because I did, and I didn't understand what the heck happened! Could somebody please post a summary of Hulk's actions, and who all those characters were and who the hospital dude was and what his visions were? Thanks.

:(

I'm a little lost myself. I guess I should have looked closer to see if this tied into events in another book.

I would say it's obvious this has something to do with Planet Hulk...I'm just not sure what.

UltimateE said:
I'm a little lost myself. I guess I should have looked closer to see if this tied into events in another book.

I would say it's obvious this has something to do with Planet Hulk...I'm just not sure what.
Well this officially nixes any chances of me trying to pick up JMS/McKone's FF run on trades. I don't want to have to buy another trade to understand this.

There's a review of the issue up on Silver Bullet Comic Books that I guess helps a little bit with the confusing...ness of it all.

ultimatedjf said:
There's a review of the issue up on Silver Bullet Comic Books that I guess helps a little bit with the confusing...ness of it all.
Link please? :)

It says in the top of the letter page of issue 533 "For those of you who keep track, this issue's story takes place before the events of HULK #88."

I just started reading Hulk and haven't got that far yet but isn't #88 where the "Planet Hulk prelude" thing starts?

# 536

Interesting stuff.

The issue starts with a prologue that tells that something came down from the sky in Oklahoma six months ago. Then, six months later, Reed comes home from the Illuminati meeting, and there's a flash of the meeting, which is actually a page lifted straight from the Illuminati one-shot. Then Reed and Sue are watching tv and see a news broadcast where Tony Stark and Peter Parker are leaving the senate hearing, word for word the same scene we saw in ASM # 530. Reed is contacted by some military guy and they need his help in Oklahoma. The FF travel there and discover that there's a dome where the military is experimenting with something and there are soldiers who are fighting off Doombots! A little clobbering ensues and the dome is hit with a rocket and it blows up. And guess who turns up? Dr. Doom! Reed is puzzled by this while Doom says there's something powerful and he alone is worthy of its might. And then it's revealed, it's Thor's hammer. Well of course it was on the cover so it's not that much of a reveal. But still, I'm intrigued and anxiously waiting for the next issue.

Cool idea, having Doom come after Thor's hammer. Hopefully it's developed better than the last story.

I'm having a kind of slow day today. I just read the new issue that came out today, and I didn't understand the whole scene that starts with the guy from Yancey St. mentioning the guy named Mouse and the info, and ending with the start of the Thor scene (which wasn't confusing). So, if anybody who wasn't confused by that scene (basically everyone else), help would be appreciated.

It's all given away when they show the initials DB.

In his earlier history, Thor was imprisoned in the body of a human doctor and Thor was forced to live the life of a mortal. Odin decided to it was time to free Thor, so he manuevered this human to find to find Thor's hammer, Mjolnir. When he found the hammer in the guise of a cane he struck, it with a rock and it was transformed in Mjolnir. Thor was awakened, but he did continue to live his human life also. The human host was a man by the name Donald Blake.....

P.S. I like to thank my copy of OHOTMU Avengers 2004 for explaining Thor's history and exposing this subtle hint of what's to come.

Last edited:

MS, I don't know if you were replying to my post or not, but I said I understood that scene. The scene I didn't get was with Mouse, Puppet Master, and Mad Thinker.

The CW tie-in was decent, but not crazy good. Thor seemed a little out of place, but I bet JMS knows what he's doing; hopefully it'll read better as a finished arc.

3/5

Focuses on Ben, although there are lots of appearances by both sides of the "war". :)roll:)

To anti-registration team makes a plan to free some of their own being transported by Iron Man, Spidey, etc. However the Thinker (no longer the Mad Thinker) and Puppet Master also try to screw things up.

Long story short, one kid in the Yancy Street Gang is killed in an explosion, and Ben, who had been caught in the middle between sides, decides it's just too much. He quits and says he's moving out of the country.

Not bad. 3/5.

E said:
Not bad. 3/5.

I really liked it. But then again, I've been liking all of CW. Mostly. (NA #21? Eh, not so much.) One of the only things I did not like about this issue was some (not all) of the ways JMS chose to have this issue parallel ASM #534. He did a very good job, but the way he marketed it last week and the way that there was a lot of overlapping (too much) this week just irked me.

Regardless,

4/5

I never really got into the series before CW. But the "Road To" tie-ins were enough to pique my interests. The CW tie-ins have been less than stellar. It's hard to say whether or not I'll follow this after CW is done.

With #540 advertising that this is the beginning of the end of the group--it's hard to say how long that'll last. Marvel is doing some very different stuff right now with Spidey unmasking, Tony being on the "bad" side, etc.....but splitting up the F4 isn't very smart (or at least something I see lasting that long).

This was a pretty decent issue and tied in with USM pretty good. How the events of this'll be adressed in the actual CW series is yet to be seen. I doubt that'll happen though.

Perhaps this is the fallout results of the CW#4 battle?

To be honest I was disappointed we didn't learn more about Donald Blake. But seeing the Thing leave the country was cool, so I give it 3.5/5.

MaxwellSmart said:
To be honest I was disappointed we didn't learn more about Donald Blake.

I agree. The whole thing with him was handle poorly. They made a big deal about Mjolnir and Doom's return and then it just all went nowhere.

Victor Von Doom said:
I agree. The whole thing with him was handle poorly. They made a big deal about Mjolnir and Doom's return and then it just all went nowhere.
I think Millar got dibs on telling the story of Thor's return in the next issue of Civil War.

Latest posts

Back