Frank Miller to Direct "The Spirit"

I won't be watching it as no one I knows wants to see it. So I'll just wait for dvd

1231254068182.jpg

I saw this today. Went in thinking it was gonna be the worst film of 2009.

I really enjoyed it. It's different to sin city, even more silly. But it's got some really cool scenes and funny lines. I went to see it with 5 other people 3 of whom thought it was awful....i think there are parts where the characters just reel off a monologue from the original comics and it doesn't quite fit with the frank miller parts.

Still i knew nothing about the spirit but would now like to track some down.

I'll see it eventually. I cant believe it's as bad as some of you say it is.

Came back and it was awesome. It felt like a hyped up Dick Tracey. I felt it was pretty true to Eisner's Spirit, not the current one like I think most of you are comparing it to. It's purposely cheesy and it's great for it. It's just a fun flick.

And the Black suit is way better looking than the aweful royal blue.

I'll see it eventually. I cant believe it's as bad as some of you say it is.

Came back and it was awesome. It felt like a hyped up Dick Tracey. I felt it was pretty true to Eisner's Spirit, not the current one like I think most of you are comparing it to. It's purposely cheesy and it's great for it. It's just a fun flick.

And the Black suit is way better looking than the aweful royal blue.

All the signatures in The Spirit are tired takes on Frank Miller, not fresh takes on Will Eisner.

Last edited:
All the signatures in The Spirit are tired takes on Frank Miller, not fresh takes on Will Eisner.

It's more of a tired take on Will Eisner. It wasn't trying to be a fresh take. If you want that then read the current title written by Not Eisner. It IS the old school Eisner Spirit. I mean in all honesty that's not only how comics were back then, but movies as well. You guys are just too stuck on Dark Knight to realize it.

It's more of a tired take on Will Eisner. It wasn't trying to be a fresh take. If you want that then read the current title written by Not Eisner. It IS the old school Eisner Spirit. I mean in all honesty that's not only how comics were back then, but movies as well. You guys are just too stuck on Dark Knight to realize it.

Dark Knight's in the same vein as Batman: Year One.

I have never read anything with The Spirit from anyone, so whoever's take it's on matters none to me. It just looks plain bad from the trailer alone. I'm not looking for something to be as good or better than the Dark Knight, just something to entertain me, which this does not look like it would.

Just sayin'.

I have never read anything with The Spirit from anyone, so whoever's take it's on matters none to me. It just looks plain bad from the trailer alone. I'm not looking for something to be as good or better than the Dark Knight, just something to entertain me, which this does not look like it would.

Just sayin'.

I thought the same thing. I was pleasantly surprised.

Dark Knight's in the same vein as Batman: Year One.

And this is in the same vein as will eisner's spirit, what's your point?

Last edited:
And this is in the same vein as will eisner's spirit, what's your point?

No it's not. This movie is in the same vein as everything else Miller has done. It's Sin City, but toned-down and retitled.

Yes, the current comic book is a fresh take on the old Spirit comics. This movie is not old school Eisner Spirit.

Dark Knight is in the same vein as Batman: Year One. Year One, as in Miller's Year One.

I'm not stuck on The Dark Knight. It was a great film, "comic book movie" or not. Frank Miller's Spirit wasn't a good movie, period.

I was reading my old Eisner trade just a few hours ago to jog up my memory and, as it may not be spot on, it certainly catches the genre. Visually, yes you're right, it's a tired take on what Frank Miller does. If anything Miller took Rodriguez's takes on Sin City: the movie and captured it as his own; the color scheme, the hot women done seductively tasteful. But Eisner's spirit was pretty much in that same vein. Spirit was Hefner before Hefner was Hefner.

Spirit was not only a womanizer but an aloof but loveable hero with arguably masochistic tendancies. It's a comedic noir. No more no less. It was nowhere close to 300 or Sin City which were more dark in tone plotwise/storywise.

Latest posts

Back