Fury's Promise (USM #77 Spoilers)

I just stumbled upon this thread and had an idea.

S.H.I.E.L.D. figures out a way of removing Peter's powers and at first Peter is actually grateful and enjoying normal life for a change but start to miss his powers after a while.

Then Fury gets an idea that he wants his own spider-man ("That was a nice little power that dude had, gotta get me one of those"). So they work on the formula a little more and find out a way to repeat the process and they make a new spider-man out of a marine (like they've been trying to do with the Cap formula). Maybe the marine's name just happens to be Ben Reilly?

This would also establish the thing someone mentioned earlier about people suspecting Peter is SM, but then the new S.H.I.E.L.D. spider-man comes along and they all see Peter can't be SM.

Then after a while either a) the effects of the serum in the new guy start to wear off or b) the serum kills him (like what happened to Lieberman in the Ultimates Annual). They find out that somehow Peter's the only guy who can live with the powers and Fury makes a deal with him that they give him his powers back but in return he has to help out S.H.I.E.L.D. once in a while if needed.

Spade said:
a black spider-man hmmmm diff but i mite like it:D
Was that about my idea? If you got the idea that Fury would become spidey, that's not what I meant. I meant that Fury wants a spider-man for his team.

vintsukka said:
Was that about my idea? If you got the idea that Fury would become spidey, that's not what I meant. I meant that Fury wants a spider-man for his team.
No, he means that a man named Ben Reilly has been mentioned in USM before around the Carnage arc, but he was black.

Hawkeye101 said:
Anyone figure instead of releiveing Peter of his powers it's gonna turn him into the Man Spider?
My money's on him growing four more arms, just like when he drank that serum he made for himself to get rid of his powers.

Doc Comic said:
No, he means that a man named Ben Reilly has been mentioned in USM before around the Carnage arc, but he was black.
Right, forgot Doc Connors' lab assistant was Ben Reilly. Well, maybe the marine they use just happens to have the same name? Of course the name doesn't matter but I think it would be a nice nod to the old clone saga.

But aside from that, what does anyone think about my idea?

Last edited:
vintsukka said:
Right, forgot Doc Connors' lab assistant was Ben Reilly. Well, maybe the marine they use just happens to have the same name? Of course the name doesn't matter but I think it would be a nice nod to the old clone saga.

But aside from that, what does anyone think about my idea?
Well, I guess it could work, but at the end of Carnage, Ben Reilly steals Peter's DNA sample and I'm pretty sure Bendis will touch on that.

When will we find out who Norman Osborn was arguing on the phone with in issue one of Ultimate Spider-Man (something to the effect of who is in charge)?

ISSUE 100… MAYBE.

Will the Oz formula continue to play a major role in the title (such as who is really behind it since Fury said Norman wasn't smart enough to do it all himself)?

YES.

-i really liked how peter punched nick fury in ultimate. way to go. is nick fury going to actively try to remove the powers in an upcoming arc? what issues?

YES. SOUNDS LIKE AN ISSUE 100 TO ME.

and now we have others joining the mix?

vintsukka said:
Then after a while either a) the effects of the serum in the new guy start to wear off or b) the serum kills him (like what happened to Lieberman in the Ultimates Annual). They find out that somehow Peter's the only guy who can live with the powers and Fury makes a deal with him that they give him his powers back but in return he has to help out S.H.I.E.L.D. once in a while if needed.

Lieberman isn't dead. Did you see his face after the serum backfired? He's the new Red Skull in the Ultimates.

John Q. Public said:
Lieberman isn't dead. Did you see his face after the serum backfired? He's the new Red Skull in the Ultimates.
I already tried to convince them. They won't listen to us. :wink:

vintsukka said:
and Fury makes a deal with him that they give him his powers back but in return he has to help out S.H.I.E.L.D. once in a while if needed.
If it's good enough for my Ultimate Daredevil theory, I say why not.

Only problem is Fury should be going to Peter first and giving him the option of keeping his powers and working for SHIELD (once he turns 18). Then when Pete tells him to **** off. SHIELD goes ahead with trying to take his powers away.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Only problem is Fury should be going to Peter first and giving him the option of keeping his powers and working for SHIELD (once he turns 18). Then when Pete tells him to **** off. SHIELD goes ahead with trying to take his powers away.
Maybe Fury decides to rid P of his powers until he turns 18 but then a situation arises where he needs P's help and offers to give him his powers back in exchange for helping him. I dunno.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I already tried to convince them. They won't listen to us. :wink:

We'll show 'em.

Frankly, I'd like to see Fury try to depower Spider-Man and fail. The fact that he's a kid who lips off to power mongers like Kingpin and Fury--and can beat the 'l out of them--is one of the best things about the character.

Why the hell would they do that? I don't even want to see a story that tries to explain any reasoning for them taking powers away from a 16 year old and giving them to his 16 year old girlfriend...
EX-girlfriend :wink: ...but i know what you mean, it would have to be one HELL of a story for that to work

TheManWithoutFear said:
.... Why the hell would they do that? I don't even want to see a story that tries to explain any reasoning for them taking powers away from a 16 year old and giving them to his 16 year old girlfriend...
I completely agree.

TheManWithoutFear said:
.... Why the hell would they do that? I don't even want to see a story that tries to explain any reasoning for them taking powers away from a 16 year old and giving them to his 16 year old girlfriend...

its a baseless idea, based on a possible rumor. the same reason They switched peters and Logan's 'bodies' so anything is possible

Latest posts

Back