Ghost Rider movie News

No idea bout Caretaker, but yeah, Wallaw is a demon that looks like a doll. She just makes people really depressed.

UltimateE said:
Yeah, that's why HERBIE the Robot was a member of the Fantastic Four in the cartoon way back when. :roll:

I guess they might have a point if, in order to make his head catch fire, he had to light a match and set it to his head.

No, Ghost Rider would teach them that if you want to be really cool and on fire, you have become possessed with a demonic spirit of vengeance you must struggle to control. Bring out the Ouija boards, kiddies! Let's make a deal with Mephisto.

Incidentally, the whole idea that execs were nervous about Human Torch's influence on kids being behind his removal from the cartoon is a myth. It turns out that Marvel had licensed the Torch likeness and character to another company for development in a movie (which I'm inclined to believe would have involved the Torch android created by scientist Phineas Horton) that never pushed through, and thus the producers of the cartoon couldn't use a character that was already optioned, hence HERBIE.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Actually I think they ran into that same problem with toys a few years ago, with Captain America being licensed to one company, the Avengers to another, etc. etc.

WOO! Another update!

"We've got several new items on writer/director Mark Steven Johnson's Ghost Rider, which stars Nicolas Cage, Wes Bentley, Eva Mendes, Matt Long, Sam Elliott, Peter Fonda, and Donal Logue. First up is 'Maarten' with a report from the Melbourne set:

A mate of mine and I went down to the Lt Lonsdale Street set to see the crew set up all the various equipment. We were there for about an hour and a half before we recognised any familar faces, like Mark Steven Johnson and Bennett Walsh.

I overheard Bennett Walsh mention that Ghost Rider would turn left into the alleyway, to begin the scene, and just where the camera should be postioned."

Read more at: GR: Update @ SHH!

And now, "Maarten" reports on the GR movie:

"I've just been from the Little Lonsdale Street set for Ghost Rider, where tonight they were shooting exterior shots of the factory (which haven't been seen on any of the photos leaked online). This factory is metallic, and basically just a left-handed side view of a factory.

The circus tour bus (seen on this site some time past) was there in the alley, driving back and forth. The design of the bus is identical to the stunt cycle, by the way."

Read more at: Maarten's GR set report on SHH!

And another set report from Marteen, shown on SHH!

"I've found some more information about the filming of Ghost Rider this past Thursday night. It's purely word of mouth from a co-worker, but it's a trusted source.

After leaving the set on Thursday night, from what I thought was simply going to be a night of exterior shots, turned into two of the cast turning up to do some filming!

Who were they? Why, only Nicolas Cage and Donal Logue! And they turned up a mere 1/2 an hour after I'd left. Again! Argh!!!"

Read more: GR Set Report on SHH!

Lots of stuff here I wanted to comment on:
TheManWithoutFear said:
my thoughts on Mephisto though is that he is the marvel universes "satan"
You are correct. The thing is, many of the demons of Marvel continuity were created during the time of the Comics Code Authority and if I'm not mistaken, that's the primary reason why they couldn't use the word "hell" and "satan" in their books. (Of course, the term Hellions and Hellfire is an exception, but I still have to look up the exact circumstances in which they circumvented that).

Thus, there was no Satan only Mephisto and Blackheart. And the infernal realm they rule is never referred to as "hell". DC has the same principle going I believe and most of the demons that they presented in books of theirs were in Vertigo titles, which never seems to have made any pretense of being approved by the Comics Code Authority. The Comics Code Authority as far as I know, was really just a censorship barrier meant to keep "iffy" comics out of the newstands and K-Marts but NOT out of the specialty comic stores anyway.

icemastertron said:
Has anyone played that old PS1 game "Marvel Superheroes"? The one where Thanos was the final boss with the cosmic cubes? Wasn't Blackheart in that game?
Yup, Blackheart was in that game and fully playable. And in case you REALLY don't remember any of Capcom's Marvel Super Heroes fighting games, in spite of how annoyingly ubiquitous they were in the mid-late 90s, here's a pic of the promotional poster used in arcades:
http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyerdb&subpage=flyer&id=652&image=1

It was originally for the arcades, but yeah, there was a PS1 version, but it plays like crap compared to the arcade version. Great graphics but with so many elements flying around on the screen, the PS1 just STRUGGLES to maintain a decent framerate, and fails.

Goodwill said:
What is HERBIE all about anyway?
Just to prove I know all the dumb acronyms in the Marvel Universe, HERBIE stands for Humanoid Experimental Robot B-Type Integrated Electronics. I don't really know much about him except for the fact he's mostly famous for his appearances in the 60s/70s Fantastic Four cartoons even though he also appeared in the FF comic.

icemastertron said:
So, I ask:
Who is this Sam Elliot guy, and who is "Caretaker"?
Sam Elliott played General Thunderbolt Ross in Ang Lee's Hulk. Caretaker is basically one of those enigmatic Deep Throat type characters --- he knows a lot about the supernatural world but tends to hold back that kind of information unless absolutely necessary. He wields a shovel as his primary weapon and most importantly, is also the guy who made the mystical amulet that transforms Dan Ketch into Ghost Rider.

UltimateE said:
The Living Tribunal doesn't fight anyone and he has no enemies. So, no.
He also doesnt' wear pants. It's just so wrong to fight a man/cosmic representation of all that is balanced and just when he's not wearing any pants. So wrong indeed. I mean, what if you touch it? That'd make you like gay or something.

ourchair said:
He also doesnt' wear pants. It's just so wrong to fight a man/cosmic representation of all that is balanced and just when he's not wearing any pants. So wrong indeed. I mean, what if you touch it? That'd make you like gay or something.

There is something seriously wrong with a guy whose only clothing is a towel over part of his face. I mean, if a judge did that here he'd get disbarred or unbarred or debarred or whatever the term is.

UltimateE said:
There is something seriously wrong with a guy whose only clothing is a towel over part of his face. I mean, if a judge did that here he'd get disbarred or unbarred or debarred or whatever the term is.
That depends entirely on what kind of bar he's in. Anyway, before Ice yells, is anyone else only "Ehhhhhh" about this movie? I mean, I suppose it will be interesting but I'm hardly hyped of my brain about it.

ourchair said:

Maybe Northstar could fight him, then! :twisted:

Latest posts

Back