Greg Lantern the Movie

Re: Green Lantern-the Movie

Everyone complained about Batman's new suit before the TDK, but it ended up looking fine on screen. I think this will be similar.

Everyone complained about Batman's new suit before the TDK, but it ended up looking fine on screen. I think this will be similar.

I'm kind of the opposite.... I thought the new Batsuit looked cool in promo pics but kind of retarded in the film, mainly during the brightly-lit scenes like the interrogation. The Superman Returns suit is another one that had tons of people claiming it would look better in the actual film and it looked as bad as ever. Bottom line, it's different for every film. I currently think the suit looks pretty cool, but we'll see how it looks during prolonged shots and full scenes. The CGI factor in particular is completely unpredictable.

i thought the huge bat helmet looked stupid in the trailers/promo pics and in the movie

seriously, check out how much bigger his "cowl" got:
batman-begins-goth-got-milk-ad.jpg
the-dark-knight-got-milk.jpg

interview with Michael Clark Duncan on Attack of the Show that includes a clip from the movie and MCD bicep curling the girl interviewing him.
[video=youtube;ZCaHk0OJsOg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCaHk0OJsOg[/video]

Last edited:

I can't believe this is coming out this weekend. I'm suddenly really excited. I just hope the sub-par marketing hasn't sunken this film, already. Looking at its plot synopsis and the images for it (as well as the promise that other Lanterns are going to be in it) makes it look epic and extraordinary. But the trailers haven't managed to make it look any better than a sub-par version of Iron Man or Spider-Man. And I've barely even seen any trailers, compared to Thor, when the trailers seemed to be on non-stop.

I can't believe this is coming out this weekend. I'm suddenly really excited. I just hope the sub-par marketing hasn't sunken this film, already. Looking at its plot synopsis and the images for it (as well as the promise that other Lanterns are going to be in it) makes it look epic and extraordinary. But the trailers haven't managed to make it look any better than a sub-par version of Iron Man or Spider-Man. And I've barely even seen any trailers, compared to Thor, when the trailers seemed to be on non-stop.

Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon here in the US seem to be playing trailers every 5 minutes.

I am really excited for this but it doesn't come out here until August for some reason.

Well it takes that long to get to the land that time and evolution forgot.

Here in the US the trailers have been all over the place...even more so than Thor possibly. I've actually been fairly impressed with WB's marketing. Hopefully it pans out in Box Office $$, so that I get to see the Green Lanterns take on Sinestro in a sequel.

The reviews have started coming out... and they're bad. Really bad.

Me neither.

Green Lantern is a rubbish character.

How much Green Lantern have you read though? I think this movie will likely suck, but I don't see how that reflects badly on the character, instead of reflecting badly on the film makers. The Punisher and Fantastic Four movies have all been terrible, but they are still good characters in the comics, same thing with Green lantern.

Oh Lord Overlord, don't try to argue with Bass, he'll quote lots of stuff that's been infused with opinion and he'll think it's BASSFACT and then end it with him being right.

How much Green Lantern have you read though? I think this movie will likely suck, but I don't see how that reflects badly on the character, instead of reflecting badly on the film makers. The Punisher and Fantastic Four movies have all been terrible, but they are still good characters in the comics, same thing with Green lantern.

I've read a lot of JLA and other DCU stuff, saw JUSTICE LEAGUE and what not. You can't get into DC without reading Green Lantern and I think he is a rubbish character.

You are quite right that someone can take a rubbish property and transform it into something incredible, but to do that they often fundamentally change it in some way. Hickman added the Future Foundation to FANTASTIC FOUR, Miller added Elektra, Bullseye and Kingpin to DAREDEVIL and turned it into a hard-boiled film noir, Moore changed the entire backstory of SWAMP THING and MARVELMAN to make them work, Wein and Cockram essentially created the X-MEN by adding Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus to the team, and on and on it goes. I think maybe Spidey is the only one who, out of the gate, worked well. Batman and Superman both needed retooling in their early years.

And then you get things like IRON MAN or Ennis' PUNISHER which just did what everyone has been trying to do for 40 years and just do it properly. And certainly, adding stuff to a character can ruin them; Punisher killing for Heaven for example, or Spidey being a clone, and so on.

So yes, I'm sure it's possible to make Green Lantern awesome. Either because he's awesome and no one has done him right, or because someone looked at it sideways and redesigned it.

But I'm not surprised that the movie supposedly hasn't done either.

That said, I think what's unnecessarily harsh about my statement earlier, and what you're reacting to is that I said it was "good" that the movie sucked as if to say, "I don't want Green Lantern to exist anymore in any medium", which is not only what I meant, but stupid. I shouldn't take that much pleasure in his failing when I know I would prefer it if he were awesome.

So; I think Green Lantern is rubbish but I retract my earlier sentiment that it's a good thing his movie is apparently a failure.

Oh Lord Overlord, don't try to argue with Bass, he'll quote lots of stuff that's been infused with opinion and he'll think it's BASSFACT and then end it with him being right.

Don't be a douche.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back