Harry Potter Discussion (spoilers)

But for the millionth time....you only read the first one. The mere length of the ones to come(the last 3 range between 600 and 800 pages) should prove to you that they're not for kids.

Hey dude was not insulting it was just saying what I thought.

Hey dude was not insulting it was just saying what I thought.

But that is one of the major problems with the series... It becomes less accessable from the beginning because the first two books are, more or less children's books. If you're a person who doesn't like reading children's books (I certainly love it... The Oz books still have a prominent position atop my dresser at college), then getting through those two books might be more difficult...

Once Harry is Thirteen and the books break out of the Formulaic threads they'd been in, and also once Sirius Black (a suspected Serial Killer) is introduced... The books move up to a new level of reading...

And the last two books have been significantly more aimed at older readers. Even so far as to having political undertones, and themes that address racism, more... intense teenage relationships, and death remains one of the most pungent themes.

Try again. Even if you want to just read cliff notes for the first two books (the second is significantly darker, though, and involves something along the lines of demonic possession).

Try again. Even if you want to just read cliff notes for the first two books (the second is significantly darker, though, and involves something along the lines of demonic possession).

I might do that.

I still suggest you actually read Chamber of Secrets(the 2nd book) all the way through. It's one of my favourite mystery novels ever, and the payoff is terrific(however....if you've seen the film already I guess the ending is ruined).

yeah seen the first 4 films (watched 4th last night)

yeah seen the first 4 films (watched 4th last night)

Yeah, they're great films to view on the Thanksgiving weekend. Prior to hearing you watched the films, our family watched 1 through three, and four will be tomorrow. Don't know why but they just seem to go perfectly with the holiday.

My grades (stars out of four):
1st film: **1/2 or 6/10
2nd film: **1/2 or 6/10
3rd film **** or 10/10
4th film: ***1/2 or 9/10

Average grade: *** or 7.75/10

You know, if anything the third movie is my least favourite, simply because they cut out every single crucial part of the story.

If you really think about it, the plot of the film makes no sense at all.

A lot of my friends think that, too.

A couple of my friends think it's the best of the four.

A lot of the film critics think it's the best of the four. Which had no influence on my grade whatsoever. I firmly believe that the final hour of the film - exactly the last hour, credits included - is one of the best hours in childrens film history.

Yeah. Pretty polarizing statement, but I could watch that hour every day.

My grades (stars out of four):
1st film: **1/2 or 6/10
2nd film: **1/2 or 6/10
3rd film **** or 10/10
4th film: ***1/2 or 9/10

Average grade: *** or 7.75/10

My rating

1st film 4/10
2nd film 4/10
3rd film 6/10
4th film 5/10

My brother said 4th film is dark i thought cool i might like it. It was NOT dark in the slightest. if anyone says it's dark because of death scene Lion king , bambi , Star wars episode 1 and more have had deaths and are NOT dark. The closet thing to it been dark was the fact it alot of it was at night!

same thing with third BUT i think third one was slightly better as He-Who-Shall-not-be-named was not the villain AGAIN.

best thing they could do IMO is kill off He-Who-Shall-not-be-named (not sure of his names spelling lol so using that one) and have a new main villain like Draco have him become the big bad.

Question: I have a theory on why Snape killed Dumbledore. Would it be alright if I posted it? Or does no one really care about that?

best thing they could do IMO is kill off He-Who-Shall-not-be-named (not sure of his names spelling lol so using that one) and have a new main villain like Draco have him become the big bad.

No offense, but that's the worst idea I've ever heard.

I know you haven't read the last few books, but to put it in perspective that's like saying Sauron should've been killed off halfway through the Two Towers and one of the Orc Chieftans become the main villain.

:dead:

No offense, but that's the worst idea I've ever heard.

I know you haven't read the last few books, but to put it in perspective that's like saying Sauron should've been killed off halfway through the Two Towers and one of the Orc Chieftans become the main villain.

:dead:

oh I realise they are making a arc that's why he survived the fourth film. But i meant after the current story has finished and they beat him AGAIN. Like after the next two or three books depending how they do it.

oh I realise they are making a arc that's why he survived the fourth film. But i meant after the current story has finished and they beat him AGAIN. Like after the next two or three books depending how they do it.

This isn't another crap Spider-Man comic. It's not going to go on forever.

The Tolkien metaphor is very good--Rowling said she won't do anything more with Harry and the people he knows. She's done the "trilogy", and if she does anything more it'll be like the Silmarillion--expanding on history and mythology in her world.

This isn't another crap Spider-Man comic. It's not going to go on forever.

:lol: I know.

But it will go on for a few years. and having the same main villain for years does not work. Even Power Rangers which is also for kids had the sense to change main bad guy to make it fresher (rita to zed then both then machine empire ect....)

Comparing Harry Potter to Power Rangers... blech.

Voldemort is the main villain of the series. Think of all 7 books are one big epic story. You can't just have each new book have a new villain. It would ruin the continuity of the series, and each Harry Potter book adds on more and more information to the continuity.

Alright, here's another comparison. What if The Bride in Kill Bill had stopped going after Bill in Volume 1? Maybe she thought it would be too hard, and gave up. And then in Volume 2 it's about her trying to get a job at a supermarket, or something like that. And the villain could be her new boss.

It's stupid.

sjmole, you seriously have no place to call anything too kiddy for your tastes. This is a bloody* comic book forum. Superhero comics, especially Ultimate titles (except the Ultimates), are very kid-friendly. Not many dark themes there, or at least not much more than Harry Potter's. Sure, you can not like something that's kid-appropriate but to whine its too light is dumb. It's a kids'/young adults' franchise, you should expect for it to not be a constant outpour of gore and sex on the beach.

*This is a Harry Potter thread, I have the right to use British lingo.

...Is the 7/7/07 date for sure? I thought that was a rumor. o.o

:lol: I know.

But it will go on for a few years. and having the same main villain for years does not work. Even Power Rangers which is also for kids had the sense to change main bad guy to make it fresher (rita to zed then both then machine empire ect....)

You're talking about TV. We're talking about books. Entirely different mediums.

And besides, at this point in the series, for a new main villain, Voldemort would be killed off seconds into the book to make the villain look good.

And that makes no #%@^& sense.

Also, would anyone care to answer my question?

Latest posts

Back