Harry Potter Discussion (spoilers)

Grocer Man--it's a Harry Potter discussion thread. If you have something to say that's not vulgar or redundant or really really really stupid (like MJ goblin stupid), then don't bother asking, just say it.

I'd like to see it. I suggest putting it behind spoiler tags though, just to be sure, and so people who aren't caught up or don't know what's happening don't get too pissed.

sjmole, you seriously have no place to call anything too kiddy for your tastes. This is a bloody* comic book forum. Superhero comics, especially Ultimate titles (except the Ultimates), are very kid-friendly. Not many dark themes there, or at least not much more than Harry Potter's. Sure, you can not like something that's kid-appropriate but to whine its too light is dumb. It's a kids'/young adults' franchise, you should expect for it to not be a constant outpour of gore and sex on the beach.

Ummm dude I already said

It's cool if others like it i just don't. I like some things that others would say is too childish for them.

I realise that some thing I like others see as childish.

I only mentioned the dark thing because my brother and others all boasted how dark it was. I just could not see where they were coming from.

:lol: I know.

But it will go on for a few years. and having the same main villain for years does not work.

Dude, what are you even talking about. First of all, it will not "Go on for years". Each book lasts one year, and there's only one left.

Second, you haven't read the books, so you don't have any idea how awesome a villain Lord Voldemort is.

Third, having the same main villain for years works much better than just a new villain every story. Look at Magneto, in the comics and all 3 films.

And Fourth, every book does have different villains. They all sort of follow a 3-villain formula, with each one posing a worse level of threat than the last.

i.e.

Philosopher's Stone: Malfoy, Snape, Voldemort.

Chamber of Secrets: Malfoy, The Heir of Slytherin, the Monster.

Prizoner of Azkaban: Malfoy, the Dementors, Sirius Black.

Goblet of Fire: Malfoy, the Tournament, Voldemort.

Order of the Phoenix: Malfoy, Umbridge and the Ministry, Voldemort

Half-Blood Prince: Malfoy, Voldemort's Accomplises, Voldemort.

Really, you need to read the whole series(including Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire, because even though you've seen the films they cut out so much the plot, the future books won't make sense to you if you don't know what happened).

I only mentioned the dark thing because my brother and others all boasted how dark it was. I just could not see where they were coming from.

I think a good example of that is in the Goblet of Fire and the scenes with Barty Crouch Jr and Sr. It's a creepy, in-depth examination of a father-son relationship gone horribly, horribly wrong. It was one of my favorite parts of the book.

It's not really like blood-and-guts dark, or perverted-sex-scenes dark. I think the darkest thing about the books is how deeply the villains are understood--how Rowling makes sure that readers can understand where the villains are coming from, and sometimes empathize with them. That's not very dark compared to "grown-up" fiction, but for some kids it's their first look into the nature of evil.

Dude, what are you even talking about. First of all, it will not "Go on for years". Each book lasts one year, and there's only one left.

Ok I'll admit i'm wrong about that

Second, you haven't read the books, so you don't have any idea how awesome a villain Lord Voldemort is.
I'll take your word on that

Third, having the same main villain for years works much better than just a new villain every story. Look at Magneto, in the comics and all 3 films.

But he is not the ONLY big main villain. Plus on here alone i saw a few people say things like "why is Magneto the main villain again" for third film.

And Fourth, every book does have different villains. They all sort of follow a 3-villain formula, with each one posing a worse level of threat than the last.

Not really as some of the ones you mentioned were not really villains they were just thought to be.

but I'll stop as I see no one sees where i'm coming from and I don't want to ruin this thread for those who like it with arguing.

Third film was the worst

The third book is my favorite, and the film was a complete and utter waste of my ****ing time.

They left out a whole bunch of character building events and whatnot

I hate the third film

Gah

Now I'm mad

Thank you.

To put it simply, Dumbledore died to make certain that Voldemort would have to fight Harry. Voldemort believed Dumbledore was a far greater threat to him then Harry, and since Harry is the only one who can kill him, Voldemort would have continued his schemes, likely attacking Dumbledore, with several innocents being killed in the process. Dumbledore had Snape (who I believe is on his side, for the reasons someone said earlier about Lily) kill him, in hopes of inspiring Harry to confront Voldemort for the final showdown.

Spot on, though I believe there is no connection between Snape and Lily, that scene in the fifth book was only shown to show how different Lily and James were before they were going out. She was just a nice person, and tyhat's what it showed

Add an extra 10-15 minutes so the plot would actually make sense?

Like maybe mentioning the fact that Lupin knows how to use the Maurauder's Map BECAUSE he, James, Sirius, and Peter were the Maurauders...

Or maybe that James' animagus was a stag, so it makes sense that Harry's patronus would take that form, because to him his father is a protective figure.

The third movie was the best stylistically and artistically... but I really do wish they had made the plot more coherent.

Not really as some of the ones you mentioned were not really villains they were just thought to be.

True, but whenever someone who was thought to be a villain turned out to be good, it was followed by someone else turning out to be the villain. THe formula still stands.

but I'll stop as I see no one sees where i'm coming from and I don't want to ruin this thread for those who like it with arguing.

But the problem here is that you're not coming from anywhere. You're criticizing a series of books that you haven't read.

It would be like if I read the first half of Fellowship of the Ring and then said LOTR sucks because it's supposed to be a big adventure and they hadn't done much adventurin' yet. You can't base your opinion of a dark series on the first, shortest, youngest, lightest instalment.

The two biggest themes of the series as a whole are 1) Death, and 2)[this is the much more important one] the Loss of Innocence.

The first book doesn't show that because it's the set-up, establishing everything. You have to read more. You'll thank yourself after you do.:wink:

Ummm dude I already said

I realise that some thing I like others see as childish.

Yes, but I had to reach my rant quota for the day. :wink:

Last edited:
Here's something:
The Harry/Ginny love is going to be continued, and it;s been confrimed that Ginny will play an important role in the final battle, even though Harry's said he doesn't want her to be anywhere near there. My thoughts: Ginny dies.

i also have a thought. The horcruxes are supposed to be in safe places. What if the last one is the scar on Harry's forehead?. It would be safe, cus he'd never think to look there. Voldemort would have the ultimate victory if Harry killed him, cus he could posses Harry. Rowling could end the series with no hope of more books because Harry would have to kill himself in order to finally defeat Voldemort.

And is the biggest piece of crap I can think of.

He already had seven when he went to murder Harry, why would he make eight, seven is a magical number.

I guess it depends on Harry's parents really... They will determine how important his blood is as well as Voldemort's, too... To Harry's advantage, anyway. The Horcruxes have, so far, been in places that have been owned by the founders of Hogwarts and Voldemort's family (Well, Slytheran)... I don't know.

I wonder if Hermoine will be taken away to the Soul Society and sentenced to death in thirty days?

...I'm always going to connect book seven with Bleach now.

Latest posts

Back