HBO discussion

Re: HBO Series

When's new Entourage coming on?

According to E! Entertainment's Watch with Kristin:
"So, what's on tap for the boys' fifth go-round? Series producer Doug Ellin says they currently intend to produce 12 half-hour eps. But in the event that HBO decides to order more at the last minute, Ellin is up for it. Sadly, the three-month work stoppage will still make its mark on year five, postponing its scheduled June premiere until September."

source: http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/detail/index.jsp?uuid=f44c8cae-a11f-4917-b6ec-27a35b41e631

Last edited:

I've just started watching Rome, and woo boy is it good. It is soooo good, i can hardly deal with it.

Titus Pullo and Octavian are definitely my two favorite characters.

According to E! Entertainment's Watch with Kristin:
"So, what's on tap for the boys' fifth go-round? Series producer Doug Ellin says they currently intend to produce 12 half-hour eps. But in the event that HBO decides to order more at the last minute, Ellin is up for it. Sadly, the three-month work stoppage will still make its mark on year five, postponing its scheduled June premiere until September."

source: http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/detail/index.jsp?uuid=f44c8cae-a11f-4917-b6ec-27a35b41e631

HBO better order more episodes... I always get frustrated because there is never enough new Entourage.

I've just started watching Rome, and woo boy is it good. It is soooo good, i can hardly deal with it.

Titus Pullo and Octavian are definitely my two favorite characters.

I want too.

I finished the first season of Deadwood and I am about halfway though the first season of OZ.

My thoughts on a bunch of HBO Shows:

Flight of the Conchords - It's okay but I don't find it as funny as the Americans do. Maybe because I'm used to a lot of it. I don't know. Murray makes this show though. He's hilarious.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - I've only seen the first season and a bit of the second but this is some of the funniest crap I've ever seen. The **** that happens to Larry David... it's amazing. I can't wait to watch the rest of it.

The Sopranos - I've actually only seen the first episode though I have the first season boxset lying around here somewhere. I'm thinking about getting that massive collection for my dad for his birthday so I too have an excuse to watch it.

The Wire - Bought Season 1 recently but have only watched the first two episodes. It's okay so far. I like McNulty. I'm up to the episode where Omar is introduced and he seems to be everyone's favourite character so I'm excited. I guess it gets exceptional in future seasons where it begins to explore more of the city?

Carnivale - I've watched most of the first season but I don't think I finished it. I do intend to one day though I'm sure it will piss me off. I hope there is a conclusion of this in some form (movie, comics, books, whatever). Clancy Brown is superb.

Extras - I don't really count this as HBO since it's more known as a BBC production but I'll put it here anyway. One of my favourite sitcoms and Ricky Gervais is my hero. Stephen Merchant as the agent in this is hilarious.

Band of Brothers - Amazing. The best TV mini series ever made? Probably.

Rome - I haven't seen it yet but I really want to. Sounds very good.

Big Love - Yuck. I remember watching this when it first came out and it's just boring. TOG's story of delivering to the polygamy city or whatever are more entertaining.

John Adams - I haven't seen it yet but Paul Giamatti is great.

Yeah. I don't know why I really did this post.

My thoughts on a bunch of HBO Shows:

Flight of the Conchords - It's okay but I don't find it as funny as the Americans do. Maybe because I'm used to a lot of it. I don't know. Murray makes this show though. He's hilarious.

I've seen a bit of an episode and didn't get it. :/

Curb Your Enthusiasm - I've only seen the first season and a bit of the second but this is some of the funniest crap I've ever seen. The **** that happens to Larry David... it's amazing. I can't wait to watch the rest of it.

This show goes from very funny to incredibly annoying. It's generally the former. Some of it's brilliant. The pay off to Larry's part in THE PRODUCERS musical is superb.

The Sopranos - I've actually only seen the first episode though I have the first season boxset lying around here somewhere. I'm thinking about getting that massive collection for my dad for his birthday so I too have an excuse to watch it.

It's a good show. The last season is rubbish. Season 5 is where it was meant to end, and that's where it should've ended.

The Wire - Bought Season 1 recently but have only watched the first two episodes. It's okay so far. I like McNulty. I'm up to the episode where Omar is introduced and he seems to be everyone's favourite character so I'm excited. I guess it gets exceptional in future seasons where it begins to explore more of the city?

It gets exceptional a few episodes in when you realise its 3am and you're quite happy to watch the next one. It's slow getting into the show, but once you're in - you are stuck in there.

Carnivale - I've watched most of the first season but I don't think I finished it. I do intend to one day though I'm sure it will piss me off. I hope there is a conclusion of this in some form (movie, comics, books, whatever). Clancy Brown is superb.

My sentiments exactly. I didn't finish the first season. It was both boring and intriguing so I was confused a lot of the time.

Extras - I don't really count this as HBO since it's more known as a BBC production but I'll put it here anyway. One of my favourite sitcoms and Ricky Gervais is my hero. Stephen Merchant as the agent in this is hilarious.

I prefer the original THE OFFICE, but EXTRAS had a great finale.

I've not seen this yet.

Great show. Epic.

Big Love - Yuck. I remember watching this when it first came out and it's just boring. TOG's story of delivering to the polygamy city or whatever are more entertaining.

I have no idea what this is.

I saw an ad for this. I want to see it. I love Paul Giamatti.

Addition: True Blood - The show's first scene is brilliant. And the intro sequence is superb. Then the show becomes a boring "woman loves vampire = women love 'bad boys' because they have a heart of goal" nonsense. I stopped part way through episode 3 or 4. I should probably try to get back into it as I've been told it's awesome, but I just felt it was BUFFY but without any of the good bits.

Addition: Deadwood - OH HELL YES. I do so like my filthy-mouthed cowboys!

I do have the first episode of True Blood but I'm not that interested to watch it. I'm sick of vampires.

And yes, I intend to watch Deadwood too.

I am perfectly willing to state that Deadwood is the best written show of all time. By the time you get to the third season, we're talking almost a Shakespearean level of complexity here. It's magnificent.

And John Adams is fantastic. It gets a little slow in the middle, but on the whole it completely deserves all of the praise it got. Paul Giammatti is great.

Addition: True Blood - The show's first scene is brilliant. And the intro sequence is superb. Then the show becomes a boring "woman loves vampire = women love 'bad boys' because they have a heart of goal" nonsense. I stopped part way through episode 3 or 4. I should probably try to get back into it as I've been told it's awesome, but I just felt it was BUFFY but without any of the good bits.
True Blood is absolutely awful.

Unless you're high...

Ranking HBO, the ones I've finished:

1. The Wire - In terms of technical brilliance, this show cannot be beat. This show makes every other cop show on the planet lame and meaningless. It does take a few episodes to wrap you in fully... I think the moment I was finally convinced was when the dealers were talking chess... Fifth season is a bit weak, but ends strong.

2. Six Feet Under - To be honest, this is tied for number one for me... Six Feet Under is an emotional show... Its about people, rather than concepts, and therefore I would consider it the best show emotionally. The finale to this show blew me away. Because I am more personally connected to this show, I think its more likely I'll watch this again and again. So ****ing amazing.

3. Deadwood - The closest thing to Shakespeareanism in our modern canon... The very style of the show is mimicked from those plays, just with more ****, sex, and cursing. So much of this is good. The best Western TV show ever. Period.

4. Rome - Rarely Falters. Both seasons are precisely what they needed to be. Top to bottom beautiful, interesting, and every character is brilliant. See it for Caesar, love it for Titus Pullo.

5. The Sopranos - The extra-long, extra-lame Sixth Season knocks this series down, but as much as I like it, I've never saw it as "The Best TV Show Ever". Still... It is a damn good series, does a whole lot more for its genre than any other Mob-related media to come out in the last decade. God, that last season is horrible... AJ's depression? Seriously?

6. The Flight of the Conchords - Excessively Strange in the best possible way. I am going to pretend that Proj doesn't get it, because these two men perfectly exemplify life in New Zealand, and there's nothing weird or exaggerated about it.

7. Entourage - Used to love it, then cautiously like it, now I can't even watch it. Its just terrible.

Want to see:
-Curb Your Enthusiasm
-Carnivale
-True Blood (everything I've heard is iffy, but Alan Ball is the creator of Six Feet Under, and I can't believe he's fallen as far as people are saying he has)
-Extras (To be fair, I've seen half of them, I just need to finish)

And if you guys are counting Miniseries like John Adams and Band of Brothers (both of which I need to see), "Angels in America" would be at the top of my list here.

I really, really like this show; there's really nothing like it on the air. Murray's hilarious, but Dave makes the show. And Jemaine as David Bowie is great. The second season doesn't seem quite as funny, but the production budget on the musical numbers is waaaaaaaay higher.

ProjectX2 said:

Eh, it's funny, but the kind of thing I'll only watch once in a blue moon. It's funny when I'm watching it, but as soon as it's over I forget about it completely. I'd rather just watch Seinfeld.

ProjectX2 said:

Good, but probably overrated. I watched, I think, the first couple of seasons, but never got further than that. The show just requires a huge commitment to stay up to date with.

ProjectX2 said:

All my friends tell me it's the best thing ever, but I've never seen it.

ProjectX2 said:

I devoured this show. start to finish. I can understand how people would find it boring, but the slow builds have amazingly satisfactory payoff towards the end of the season. Some things happen that cause the status quo around a number of characters to change, and the slow pacing of the lead-in means that the characters are really established in a way that it really affects you. The tarring and feathering scene still sticks out in my mind. I just hope we get a comic like they said they're trying to do. Seriously.

ProjectX2 said:

I love the fake clips from movies. This show is brilliant.

ProjectX2 said:

Never seen it. I'm so sick or WWII stuff.

ProjectX2 said:

Seen the first couple of episodes. I took a pretty extensive course covering the history of Rome back in college, so this kind of thing appeals to me. There wasn't really enough to keep me hooked though. I'll probably go back and revisit it later.

ProjectX2 said:

Yes. Agree.

ProjectX2 said:

Paul Giamatti is perfect. The guys playing Franklin and Jefferson are perfect. I didn't finish it, but it's the kind of thing that's just soaked through with historical information, yet still vivid enough to keep you intrigued.

Six Feet Under is another I intend to watch.

Dr.Strangefate said:
6. The Flight of the Conchords - Excessively Strange in the best possible way. I am going to pretend that Proj doesn't get it, because these two men perfectly exemplify life in New Zealand, and there's nothing weird or exaggerated about it.

I don't know what this means.

True Blood is absolutely awful.

Unless you're high...

I just realised I meant to right "heart of gold" not "goal". Odd. But I'm glad you think it sucks... I thought it was just me.

Ranking HBO, the ones I've finished:

1. The Wire - In terms of technical brilliance, this show cannot be beat. This show makes every other cop show on the planet lame and meaningless. It does take a few episodes to wrap you in fully... I think the moment I was finally convinced was when the dealers were talking chess... Fifth season is a bit weak, but ends strong.

Fifth season was awesome. I loved Gus and McNulty's plan. I will hear no dissension!

Also, the only cop show that is STILL awesome next to THE WIRE is of course... COLUMBO.

2. Six Feet Under - To be honest, this is tied for number one for me... Six Feet Under is an emotional show... Its about people, rather than concepts, and therefore I would consider it the best show emotionally. The finale to this show blew me away. Because I am more personally connected to this show, I think its more likely I'll watch this again and again. So ****ing amazing.

Never even remotely found this interesting. In that, I've not seen an episode of it. I'm just not interested. I should probably give it a go. It's supposed to be good. But then, I've not really had a chance to see it, except halfway through the season on TV which is never good.

3. Deadwood - The closest thing to Shakespeareanism in our modern canon... The very style of the show is mimicked from those plays, just with more ****, sex, and cursing. So much of this is good. The best Western TV show ever. Period.

:rockon:

4. Rome - Rarely Falters. Both seasons are precisely what they needed to be. Top to bottom beautiful, interesting, and every character is brilliant. See it for Caesar, love it for Titus Pullo.

And Marc Antony. And Lucius Vorenus. And Cicero. The scale of this show is incredible. Compare it to LOST or HEROES or BATTLESTAR GALACTICA or any of those shows that claim they have an overarching plot and look at this show. In 22 episodes it goes further than any of these shows ever will. Even a show that does epic scale well, BABYLON 5, seems pale, slow, and labouring in comparison.

5. The Sopranos - The extra-long, extra-lame Sixth Season knocks this series down, but as much as I like it, I've never saw it as "The Best TV Show Ever". Still... It is a damn good series, does a whole lot more for its genre than any other Mob-related media to come out in the last decade. God, that last season is horrible... AJ's depression? Seriously?

I personally had a huge distaste for the whole, "How do we end an original mafia show? Oh, that's right: Treat it like a whack-a-mole game and just copy THE GODFATHER verbatim." Bull****. Total and utter bull****.

Eh, it's funny, but the kind of thing I'll only watch once in a blue moon. It's funny when I'm watching it, but as soon as it's over I forget about it completely.

This is exactly my feelings about it. I do enjoy it, but it doesn't stay in my brain once it's done.

Addition! GENERATION KILL - By the creators of THE WIRE, this seven-episode mini chronicles the 21-day invason of Iraq. It's not FULL METAL JACKET, which is what you expect. It's very good. It has a HUGE cast and somehow, juggles it effortlessly in just seven episodes.

Addition! GENERATION KILL - By the creators of THE WIRE, this seven-episode mini chronicles the 21-day invason of Iraq. It's not FULL METAL JACKET, which is what you expect. It's very good. It has a HUGE cast and somehow, juggles it effortlessly in just seven episodes.

I definitely intend to see that...

As for Six Feet Under. Give the first episode a go, if you like it, the quality never wavers... It's probably one of the most consistently good-great shows i've seen.

And Marc Antony. And Lucius Vorenus. And Cicero. The scale of this show is incredible. Compare it to LOST or HEROES or BATTLESTAR GALACTICA or any of those shows that claim they have an overarching plot and look at this show. In 22 episodes it goes further than any of these shows ever will. Even a show that does epic scale well, BABYLON 5, seems pale, slow, and labouring in comparison.

:rockon:

I'm a big fan of Lost and BSG, but you are so right it's not even funny. They invented the word EPIC so we could accurately describe ROME.

And you should give Six Feet Under a go, Bass. Do you like American Beauty? Well this was created/written by the same guy, and it's actually very similar (especially in that "quirky but profound" way AB is), so if you like AB, you'd probably like Six Feet Under.

Of course, Alan Ball also wrote True Blood, which I've heard (even here) is crap; I've yet to see it, but I'll probably Netflix it when it comes out on DVD.

Latest posts

Back