Heroes Season 3 (Spoilers)

Vol. 4 is shaping up to be a BIG improvement over Vol. 3... Let's see if they can keep it up.

I didn't think it was even 100% clear they DO work differently.

I agree... Peter has always been retarded about his powers so it doesn't mean anything. Now should it be the case, his power was given to him by a synthesized formula, not nature, which could explain the change; but let them prove it's changed. (If they have changed they will beat us over the head with it... don't worry)

I didn't think it was even 100% clear they DO work differently.

They did have that one little bit, when Peter took Tracy/Mohiinders power. His hand touched theirs, and there was a sort of shimmer of energy as he took the power, which kind of implied that his power is now based on contact.

I hope that is the case and now he can only have one power at a time, and gets it on contact, not just by being near them. He was too powerful before, as many have always said. Although they can always just have him touch Sylar and take all the powers at once....

I have seen it!

Unfortunately.

I'm going to start by attacking the core concept of the show: Nathan Petrelli has seen, first hand, how a secret, covert organization that rounds up super-powered people is doomed to failure.

Twice.

And his big plan is to create a third company.

This is retarded and not at all how Nathan should do things. Nathan is a smart, charismatic person who wants to save the world, and has purposely sacrificed both his and his brother's life to save the people of Manhattan. He is not a killer nor a villain. His days dancing on that moral fence were quenched in season 1. It was quite clear this was how he felt in season 2 when he spent the entire season being a good guy. Season 3 has Nathan as a good guy who until the end, decides to be a baddie.

Now yes, one could argue that 'he's not a baddie, and it's two valid points of view' except that it isn't at all. Just like Mark Millar made the mistake in CIVIL WAR of having Iron Man go against Captain America to team up with mass-murdering supervillains and yet still think he'd seem 'equally good', so too, are the HEROES writers.

In JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED's fantastic Cadmus arc, there was a moment where the writers thought about having Batman leave the League and either join Cadmus or make his own team. They nixed the idea because while it was a good stunt, there was no way to do it without realising that Batman would look like a dick.

Nathan looks like a dick.

Here's what Nathan should've done: He gets Peter, he gets the Haitian, he gets Noah Bennet, and Mohinder Suresh. He tries to see if Hiro, with his vast fortune, can help. And he asks Matt Parkman too. Daphne will tag along as a result.

He then creates a specialized superhero team to take on super bad guys and fix problems in the world. He starts with a group of trusted associates who know this stuff. He makes a friendly company that recruits people. Think the X-School here. They get stuck in, covertly, in all manner of places. And as they do, people start to take notice. Some see them as a threat. As he accumulates more UN-backed sanctions, more people with power become more threatened.

The series flips itself over; instead of normal people being hunted by killers and secret organizations, we have extraodinary people create a benevolent secret organization who hunts normal killers and corrupt organizations.

And it would work: Mohinder says he's all for government control of powered people (then five seconds later runs away from them). If Nathan had got to him and talked, Mohinder would've been FINE with it. I'm going to come back to this in a minute.

The conflict stems from them actively trying to change the world. Not from douchebag "I'm right" arguments as they just repeat the same damn thing.

And that's my problem - repetition.

ANOTHER FUTURE PLOT?! Yet again, it starts with someone getting VISIONS FROM THE FUTURE to tell us how badly things will get if we don't stop the bad thing. Oh sure, Parkman hasn't had his vision yet, but he will. That's the whole point.

If the future-painter power was so important, why did they kill Isaac? Why did they kill the African? IF you want to show case the idea that the universe inherently must have someone who can paint the future (that all the powers are 'divinely necessary'), why did you DEPOWER Peter? Why depower Hiro?

THEY HAVE NOT THOUGHT THIS THROUGH.

So, this fourth volume?

There's a vision of the future that states a secret organization's seemingly-benevolent plan will actually destroy the future.

How original.

Right, back to Mohinder actually wanting to help Nathan of his own volition: this would've worked doubly so. On the one hand, it would work because it's what Mohinder wants to do, and it would work also because Mohinder and Nathan are working together in the future. That future we saw in season 1. They are working together. This would set that up. Along with Nathan's rise to power. Peter can't regenerate, so he can get a scar. But Hiro has no time travel powers. In other words, moving towards that future is exciting because it's not lining up correctly. They should be playing with that uncertainty, instead of just disregarding it. What was the point in developing the futurescape if it's never relevant in any meaningful fashion?

If Sylar had died (in season 1 or 3), Nathan could be Sylar right now and we wouldn't know. Remember how terrifying that was when Sylar turned out to be Nathan? If Sylar had died, we'd ALL be going "I think Nathan is Sylar" and we'd be ****ting our pants. Instead, Sylar is boring.

That's right. I'm ****ing bored of Sylar. When Claire said Sylar is alive, Mama Petrelli fobbed her off. If only she'd looked down. She'd've seen Quinto's credits flash across the screen.

Sylar now has a super-pappy. Did we not already do this? Sylar is dull and boring and yes he kicked some nameless guards collective *** and potentially ate a brain, but he's a poor kid who misses his dad, awwww. Sylar was scary when he was this psychotic nightmare of a man who was a predator of superpeople, devouring their brains and powers and getting stronger all the time. He died awesomely. Then he's been lame ever since.

RETIRE THE CHARACTER. Just so he has some damned impact.

IF you need a good villain, bring back Kensei.

Speaking of Kensei - Hiro and Ando are still awesome. This show needs to be cancelled and replaced with the HIRO AND ANDO SUPERPOWER HOUR.

Anyhow - onto Claire. I, like Drunken Pickle, thought she'd jump into the engines and get diced up. It's a stupid idea, but the fun of it is she'd properly die forever and that'd be fine.

As for Claire... when did she become a ninja? Those guards were AMAZINGLY oblivious. I can only assume that the entire scene was a homage to tutorial level of Metal Gear Solid.

But, let's get onto Peter.

It seems Peter can't copy powers anymore. This is a good thing. But... it doesn't make much sense. He flew Nathan to safety in season 3, therefore, he 'copied' his powers. It seems he didn't. His natural power is both Nathan's and his father's (maybe he has his mother's too). It's confusing as the ENTIRE point of Peter taking the formula at the end of season 3 was because he'd copy Nathan's power and save him (though it would've made sense if Nathan was unconscious at the time). Nathan can still fly so he didn't leech his power. So... I don't know what's going on with Peter. NOR, how he KNEW he could leech Mohinder's powers. (And hey, if he can fly, why can't he fly in the cabin? Maybe the new power over writes the old one. Probably should've cleared this up, guys.) So this doesn't make much sense.

But here's the kicker:

Nathan doesn't know Peter can't copy powers. He knows he can fly. That's all. He assumes he's defaulted back to just that one power but can STILL COPY POWERS.

So why does Nathan put him in a plane FULL OF SUPERPOWERED PEOPLE? Isn't that the most retarded idea?

*sigh*

This show is stupid. The episode was fine. It was better than season 3 (except Sylar and Claire are dull as hell), but then that's not hard to do. Especially in the first episodes where they use the future to act like some awesome thing will happen, even though only season 1 paid off the future in any meaningful way.

It's dull, and stupid.

Still, #17 is where this is supposed to 'get back on track' as it were. So, I'm hoping that they're gonna get their act together, but I don't expect it to.

Well, it's all kicked off in the Heroesverse!

Oh and this episode confirmed that Peter can only use one power at a time, as soon as he takes one it overwrites the last.

Best moment is either Sylar torturing agent guy and the mother, or Parkman getting pissed and taking control of all the soldiers' minds and having them turn on each other.

Last edited:
Definently Parkman taking over the agent.

My friend and I thought that new hero kid with the microwave powers was emtting crap when he shot at Sylar first.

Claire, I found was just an annoyance throughout the episode. As for her unknown messanger, I have a feeling it might either be West from season 2 or Micah. Micah cause he can have technology talk to him so he could have found the files on the huntings and Claire's status. And for West, he just knows her and has probably already been assulted by the hunters.

Then there's Nathan... Seriously every hero that encountered him was yelling in his face with all these people around him saying "You're one of us!!!" None of the hunters think to question and/or detain him as well? Seriously.

I think Tracy deserves whatever she gets coming to her. If she's killed off that means we only have one more Ali Larter triplet left.

Just something that has popped into my head. We have a former friend of the heroes, Nathan, trying to control and police the super people, because they can be dangerous. He has offered certain supers freedom if they sign up with him. The heroes against this have been forced underground and are being hunted down. We just need Nathan in a robotic suit and we have Heroes: Civil War on our hands.

Nobody is talking about Kid Sylar?

Seriously, you want to introduce Sidekick style characters to Heroes and you choose SYLAR? That was such a good scene until the Sylar started sympathizing with somebody. Lame.

Last edited:
I really hope the next episode of this is better because I have been thoroughly unimpressed with the last two episodes; however, like a movie, I can't keep myself from watching it.

"I'm going to torture them... in front of you."

Best scene we've had a in a while. (After that line, the scene returned to stupid bull****. But up until this point, everything was going well.)

Aaaaaaanyhow: show is still stupid. It's doing what season 3 did. It's doing a donut in a dirt-track. Lots of mud, lots of sound and fury, but little substance. Hurm.

One more good thing though: Peter's power has regressed to more or less where it was at the beginning of season 1. I hope it stays where it is as it's now a good, dramatic power.

Past that, this show is still operating on the whole, "If we keep having people talk and shock twists, hopefully the audience won't notice the gaping absurdity behind our premise." There's all kinds of bizarre things going on.

The phone call with Nathan... what was the point? He's talking to his mum. So what? There was no point to it except 'hype'. All he did was say things like, "Everything got so bad" and what he meant was, "Daphne got shot." Meh. It served no purpose, and I was a little confused (alright, bored) when it cut to the phone as the chronology was murky.

And while we're on the subject of Nathan: all this would make sense if Nathan was Sylar in disguise. He's not rounding up 'dangers'... he's rounding up FOOD.

Back to the episode: The head army dude is so pissed off about his men dying that... he SHOOTS ONE OF THEM, then takes the person he blames for all the deaths (Claire, and rightly so), directly into the MAIN tent and proceeds to threaten her with a gun in front of BOTH her fathers.

Why did the army dude not just let his man shoot her, walk up to her, and then shoot Claire in the back of the head? And then hide the body (or otherwise dispose of it should it be too obvious the bullet in the head was done on purpose) and tell Bennet and Nathan, "Unfortunate"?

No. Claire is STILL around despite being a rubbish character so she can get 'mystery texts' from someone. Maybe it's that wi-fi chick from season 1 who's never been heard of since.

And speaking of those characters - wouldn't Nathan really want to get a hold of Molly Walker? Her whole power is, "Find people". Surely this would be a good power for him to use. But then, Molly has completely disappeared. She USED to be Parkman's frikkin' DAUGHTER. But she's just MIA. Where the hell is she? I forget what happened to her. And Micah would be useful in that whole, "talks to phones" thing. He'd be able to find them in no time. And freeze their accounts. And all manner of things. (And then there's the Haitian.) *sigh*

Back to the show: so the army dude is pissed off that half his men are dead. Well, he ****ING SHOULD BE. But here's the thing: Nathan and Bennet both know that Claire's blood can HEAL THE DEAD. So why the **** aren't they using her blood to DO THAT ****? Why didn't CLAIRE heal DAPHNE? She was being shot. All she had to do was lie down on top of her and have her blood pour into Daphne's wounds. And then Daphne heals and runs them the **** away.

But no. And now Parkman can go all bat**** and mindmaster people into killing one another. I dunno. Parkman ruthlessly shot at Sylar in the season 1 finale. But if he has mindmastering powers, wouldn't he just put them all to sleep?

I'm guessing the reason we've had no healy-heal is because the writer's forgot.

And I think they forgot Sylar can ALREADY MELT STUFF. Remember? He has that melty power that he's never used even though it is awesome.

So we have Microwave-Lad. Which was contrived as hell. I was hoping that wouldn't happen. Sylar and Microwave-Lad were already bonding. He didn't need to have powers. Everything still plays without the powers which is just a bizarre contrivance and makes Microwave-Lad less interesting.

Speaking of which - I wanted the army guy to ACTUALLY get Sylar. Sylar isn't going to get captured. But I think him being captured is a LOT more interesting.

Sylar can FIND other heroes. Nathan might have to USE Sylar to find the others. At which point he irreversibly becomes a dick. So, instead, Nathan says "no" to Sylar but the government use him anyway. And Nathan realises he's been a dick... huh. That's right. There's no way to make Nathan be anything other than a dick. The central premise is so bloody stupid.

Back to Sylar: Is it me, or was Sylar was a lot more interesting in season 1, before Kring got a man-crush and decided to give him a 'background'? He was definately a bucket load scarier. Now, he's become such a regular threat he's dull and predictable.

Oh, and every time Parkman draws something I want to stab the writer's in the eyes. Not only is this show horribly dependent on having a precognitive - they need one desperately because the show is built on so many crappy coincidental contrivances that without a portrait of the future, nothing has any damned meaning since it's so goddam arbitrary - but they have SO many. They had Isaac (dead), Sylar (did they forget?), Peter (lost the power), Arthur Petrelli (dead), the African (dead), Hiro (lost his powers), Angela Petrelli (probably forgot she can do this), and Kaito Nakamura (LOL! kidding! We still don't know his ****ing power).

That's SEVEN. Seven characters can tell the future. And the show is SO dependent on this power, that they created an EIGHTH. Why kill these character's off if you need them so badly? Dammit. Look at that list. You need a precog because your script is horribly contrived in order to make it have meaning. Look at that list. Why not use Angela Petrelli? Why not use SYLAR?

Imagine if Sylar was the one who was telling the future and on the plane and coordinating the 'resistance'. SYLAR. He's being REALLY helpful. And we find out why; before all this kicked off, Sylar painted a picture of himself standing over all the other heroes' dead bodies and none of them have brains anymore. This would be AWESOME. Only Sylar knows what's going to happen, and he's actively trying to do it. This is a great twist on the Heroes formula.

But no. New precog. Reads the future. Bad stuff will happen. Must stop it. *sigh*

Two episodes until the Loeb is gone. We shall see.

I doubt the Fuller addition can save Nathan from being a dick. Which is a shame. I think Pasdar was one of the best things in the show. Now, he's been forced to play a total dick and he was once captivating. But then, the same's true for Bennet and Sylar. It seems only Hiro, Ando, and Parkman have managed to keep the stink off them. Strangely, Mohinder, out of the blue, is pretty cool. I'm digging the Suresh at the moment.

Just something that has popped into my head. We have a former friend of the heroes, Nathan, trying to control and police the super people, because they can be dangerous. He has offered certain supers freedom if they sign up with him. The heroes against this have been forced underground and are being hunted down. We just need Nathan in a robotic suit and we have Heroes: Civil War on our hands.

I mentioned this earlier. It is a total rip-off. But then, it's sticking to pattern: season 1 was a rip-off of WATCHMEN, after all.

I've read this entire thread and it only convinces me not to bother with Heroes... AT ALL.

Season 1 is still worth watching. Season 2 is okay. You can skip the rest.

So, I watched it. Really boring. Claire rebels against father again. Sylar attacking soldiers again. Nathan trying to make a point on why heroes should be detained again.

The only part I enjoyed was the last couple of minutes.

Latest posts

Back