Heroes seasons 1 & 2 series discussion [spoilers]

Re: Heroes *Spoilers*

2) Does that small tattoo on her back have to do with anything? Is it only there when she's evil?

that symbol actually resembles an RNA moleucle. That kinda ties in with the genetics/ evolution theme. tho it is only speculated that evolution gave them these powers. sounds almost too much like x-men for me....:?

Yeah, there's some more bad science for the general public to digest. Evolution can't account for the spontaneous development of telepathy, flight, etc. Evolution works in small steps. Mutation would have to be the mechanic. They tied everything into that solar eclipse, but I don't see why that would be a mutative event especially when we're talking about people who are walking around as opposed to infants in utero.

It's bad enough that 90% of the general public doesn't understand what evolution is yet that same 90% THINKS they understand it. But then if everyone understood it, the creationist whackos wouldn't have their straw man to attack.

It IS disappointing how much psuedo-science, bad science, and just plain "nonsense" becomes commonly accepted. And I say that as a 100% layman with NO significant scientific education beyond some college physics and chemistry and an ongoing curiosity re things scientific. A certain amount of "suspension of disbelief" is almost required in most fantasy, comic book material, and even "science fiction", but it can raise the blood pressure when some of the "bad science" cliches are trotted out....

That being said, I am very much enjoying the show, purely as (IMHO) well-done, comic book-tinged entertainment. I am not as immersed in it as some here, so I will doubtless get much of this wrong, but...

Didn't the "Mimic" guy do some kind of very simple stick figure drawing after/during the meeting with Isaac (the foresight-powered artist?). I have to admit, when the "drawing " business was discussed last night, I drew a total blank (no pun intended); I couldn't recall the mimic drawing anything... but then the stick figure thing came to mind. Or am I way off?

And I have seen some complaints about Hiro failing to stop time before that thug KO'd him... I think, in some ways, Hiro's powers are SO "useful" that the writers are almost boxed in. If he can stop time with little or no cost to himself (it doesn't seem to tire him out, doesn't seem to have any downside) you would think he would use his power even MORE often, anytime any situation seemed marginally threatening or troubling. Of course, if he did THAT, it wouldn't be much of a show, in many ways... hard to really get him in much credible trouble outside of an outright ambush of some kind (since he appears to be able to move around when time is stopped, he doesn't even really need to "teleport" - he can simply stop time and walk away, which would LOOK a lot like teleporting... that wouldn't appear to cover his trip to NYC, of course!).

Shadow

It IS disappointing how much psuedo-science, bad science, and just plain "nonsense" becomes commonly accepted. A certain amount of "suspension of disbelief" is almost required in most fantasy, comic book material, and even "science fiction", but it can raise the blood pressure when some of the "bad science" cliches are trotted out....

Agreed. It's just entertainment, so I'm not that worked up about it, but I KNOW plenty of people are sucking up some of the pseudo-science as real.

Didn't the "Mimic" guy do some kind of very simple stick figure drawing after/during the meeting with Isaac (the foresight-powered artist?).

Yes, he did, but I don't think that counts. For one thing, it seems more like rnadom doodling. For another, he was in the hospital then so he wouldn't be copying Isaac any more.

And I have seen some complaints about Hiro failing to stop time before that thug KO'd him... Shadow

Anyone making that complaint is being ridiculous. Hiro has always had to concentrate and get all constipated so, ironically, he wouldn't have had time.

Thanks to last night's episode, I officially love this show.

This may be a stupid theory, but could that creepy black guy be Syler? It would be a great twist if Syler was working for the big, scary government people.

I'm willing to bet that they lost half their audience when Hiro showed up at the end, but I absolutely loved it. It was neat to get a look at what the characters might look like when they get all superhero.

How do you think the show will be structured? If it really manages to last five years, how will the story play out? I can imagine them solving this New York business before the end of this season or next season, with more save-the-world plotlines to come.

I'm willing to bet that they lost half their audience when Hiro showed up at the end, but I absolutely loved it.

No way. If anything I think that made more people like it. It's such a great hook.

How do you think the show will be structured? If it really manages to last five years, how will the story play out? I can imagine them solving this New York business before the end of this season or next season, with more save-the-world plotlines to come.

Well so far each episode has taken place immeadiately after the previous one(as in, starting the minute the last one ended) and has covered the events of a day or two each. New York goes boom in 5 weeks....at this rate I think it would be good to wrap up this arc for the end of the season and have a new one begin next year. Like a series of Graphic Novels.;)

I'm betting that the first season is geared toward saving NYC from the nuke. and what did they say at the end, save the cheerleader, save the world? huh, confrontation with her evil foster dad seems to be in the works. about sylar, i bet we will only see him a few times, kinda hampering the Heroes. they could kill him off in a anti-climatic way, but that would probably be a huge ratings-dropper. I bet they deal with sylar in season 2.

Well, ok, I see what you mean by the mimic thing, but when some poster said he mimiced Hiro's ability on the train. That was just dumb, because obviously Hiro can control it and he wanted to tell Peter something.

I wonder how long it will take to see a super-strength person on the show....or super-speed for that matter.

This may be a stupid theory, but could that creepy black guy be Syler? It would be a great twist if Syler was working for the big, scary government people.

I think that unlikely. Sylar has some sever mental problems as evidenced by his private room and his bizarre murders. The mystery man has HIS act together.

I'm willing to bet that they lost half their audience when Hiro showed up at the end, but I absolutely loved it.

I have to ask. WHY would you bet that? I totally don't see that in the least bit. If anything, there'll be MORE fans now.

Well, ok, I see what you mean by the mimic thing, but when some poster said he mimiced Hiro's ability on the train. That was just dumb, because obviously Hiro can control it and he wanted to tell Peter something.

Huh? I wouldn't say it was dumb at all. If Peter suddenly mimicked a power he didn't know how to control very well then is it implausible that he'd stop an entire train and not know how to get it restarted again? No problem there.

I doubt there will be too much focus on powers like that. I like how they're using more original powers like with Hiro, Nikki, and Isaac.

Original? Maybe I'm just too old and jaded, but I've seen it all before. There's nothing really new happening here. The only thing new about it is that it's made it to television. Of all of the powers shown so far, I'm most surprised that they're using Hiro's. That stop motion photography has to cost some money to pull off. The other powers don't cost anything. That's why powers like super-strength and such are unlikely. Filming a guy lifting a truck is going to cost some SFX bucks if you don't want it to look totally cheesy.

Oh please, what's up with the science behind it?
I mean, every super-hero comes from a world of strange science or he would not be a superhero. You are complaining about the 10% brain thing?
What about radioactive spiders? Absorving yellow sun energy? Gamma rays?

This series is awesome. An even though the powers per se are not original, the way they that most are portraited are original and cool.

Also, Hiro is awesome.

as long as no one has laser eye powers i'm happy. i don't want to see another x-men copy-off. a cool power though was if they could control water. think of the awesomeness there. walking on water, parting water, having it come through windows in 30-story buildings....

as long as no one has laser eye powers i'm happy. i don't want to see another x-men copy-off. a cool power though was if they could control water. think of the awesomeness there. walking on water, parting water, having it come through windows in 30-story buildings....

Yeah, I remember that girl in the Wild Cards series who thought her ability to control water was pretty lame. Then she got put in a life or death situation and took a guy out by removing all of the water from his body...

did anyone else see the preview with the politician flying? i thought that was some great SFX.

Man, I'm definitely getting more and more excited about this show with each episode. I really hope they don't drop the ball come the end of the season.

Anyone been reading the online "graphic novels" (as NBC is calling them, though honestly a bit short for that title, lol) at NBC.com? They add a nice bit of depth to each episode.

Last edited:

Anyone been reading the online "graphic novels" (as NBC is calling them, though honestly a bit short for that title, lol) at NBC.com? They add a nice bit of depth to each episode.

I downloaded/read 'em yesterday. Not bad...but really needed either. It looks like each one just generalizes a specific character for each episode. Although the politician's comic added some depth to him.

I have to ask. WHY would you bet that? I totally don't see that in the least bit. If anything, there'll be MORE fans now.
The normal television watching audience can only take so much science-fiction. When someone shows up from the future with a grave, apocalyptic warning, that's too much sci-fi for a lot of people. And yeah, we already know all about Hiro's powers, but him showing up from far in the future is sort of "Terminator"-ish.
darkspider16 said:
a cool power though was if they could control water. think of the awesomeness there. walking on water, parting water, having it come through windows in 30-story buildings....
Control over water would be the scariest ability ever.

"Hmmm, I don't think I like that whole East Coast area..."

Last edited:

The normal television watching audience can only take so much science-fiction. When someone shows up from the future with a grave, apocalyptic warning, that's too much sci-fi for a lot of people. And yeah, we already know all about Hiro's powers, but him showing up from far in the future is sort of "Terminator"-ish.

I dunno, I think it might be sort of "Bill and Ted"-ish. Kind of like when they totally went into the future to learn how to shred most excellently on guitar and procreate with the righteous princess babes, then came back to the San Dimas High School talent show and won, thereby saving the future.

'Cause GOD GAVE ROCK AND ROLL TO YOU... GAVE ROCK AND ROLL TO YOU... GAVE ROCK AND ROLL TO EVERYONE...

See what I mean? Hiro went into the future, learned how to speak perfect English, got a *****in' samurai sword, then came back to warn Peter, thereby saving the future.

I dunno, I think it might be sort of "Bill and Ted"-ish. Kind of like when they totally went into the future to learn how to shred most excellently on guitar and procreate with the righteous princess babes, then came back to the San Dimas High School talent show and won, thereby saving the future.

'Cause GOD GAVE ROCK AND ROLL TO YOU... GAVE ROCK AND ROLL TO YOU... GAVE ROCK AND ROLL TO EVERYONE...

See what I mean? Hiro went into the future, learned how to speak perfect English, got a *****in' samurai sword, then came back to warn Peter, thereby saving the future.

WYLD STALLYNS!!!

...Wait, what were we talking about?

Latest posts

Back