Heroes seasons 1 & 2 series discussion [spoilers]

Re: Heroes *Spoilers*

Apparently there's a Heroes book about what happened with Hiro and Charlie. I hope it makes sense of the worst storyline of season 1, but it's based on a Jeph Loeb story and written by some hack who's name is nowhere on the cover of the book.

I found a way to make all my annoyance with Claire's stupidity go away. It's weird and childish, but all I have to do is think of her as "stupid white girl".

Stupid white girl ran out into traffic again. Oh, great, now she has a stupid white boyfriend. Stupid white girl got her car stolen because she didn't lock it. Stupid white girl got caught sneaking around by her dad. Stupid white girl stuck her hand in boiling water. Stupid white girl cut her toe off. Way to go, stupid white girl.

I found a way to make all my annoyance with Claire's stupidity go away. It's weird and childish, but all I have to do is think of her as "stupid white girl".

Stupid white girl ran out into traffic again. Oh, great, now she has a stupid white boyfriend. Stupid white girl got her car stolen because she didn't lock it. Stupid white girl got caught sneaking around by her dad. Stupid white girl stuck her hand in boiling water. Stupid white girl cut her toe off. Way to go, stupid white girl.
They should officially change her title for "The Cheerleader" to "Stupid White Girl"

Apparently there's a Heroes book about what happened with Hiro and Charlie. I hope it makes sense of the worst storyline of season 1, but it's based on a Jeph Loeb story and written by some hack who's name is nowhere on the cover of the book.

Yeah, I'd heard about that. "Saving Charlie". Whats the point? Just adapting and expanding a pre-existing episode?

So I caught up on the rest of Series (sorry - volume) 2 today. I'd watched the first 5/6 eps previously and gave up trying to keep up. The last ep I watched was 'fight or flight' which someone earlier mentioned should've been called 'stand still and wait'. The series is much better from that point onward, with actual cliffhangers making me want to actually watch the next episode. Really good reveals that I didn't see coming.

Anyway I've skimmed through the thread, good points- here's my ramble:

And I'm glad to see there's a a lot of twin hating in this thread, they added nothing to the series at all - they should've been cut completely. Every episode was we're on the run - oh no we're gonna get killed - girl does her thing and makes distressful crys - they move on. It was only the penultimate episodes where sylar kills the brother and they reach Mohinder where anything happens, and even then, it was mostly just moving on the plot for Volume 3 (sylar getting powers back).

Hellsbuttmonkey made a point about how this has introduced more arch-enemies. like Peter had Sylar, and now Hiro had Adam/Kensei. Also Claire and Elle are like opposite numbers, Bob and Noah, and there's also Parkman and his dad.

I really like monicas power, i think in taskmaster he calls it photo-reflexivitiy or some such - if anyone hasn't read that mini I'd recommend it, just cuz after I read it I was thinking for ages about all the cool things you could do with that power. - and yeah I hate how underused monicas character is, still the st. joan thing was cool.

I agree with all points made in the thread and what Tim Kring says about the series - It felt a little too much like a rerun of the first series (trying to stop a disaster), they improved a few things but it all felt a bit flat and repeated. I don't mind the future+past episodes, I think they're quite nice - but more the plots that were so similar - someone's killing superpowers, someones killing the company founders - I'm developing a new power - there's a guy at school I like - we've got to keep our powers secret etc.

I like the travelling to the future to see what it's like then coming back to fix it, and the Paintings add a lovely visual element to that I think they should keep as part of the hook/gimmick of the show. As long as they don't make mistakes...seriously what the hell happened to caitlin? Is she still stuck in an alternate timeline?

Overall this was a good series (2nd half way better than 1st), I wish I'd stuck with it so I could partake more in this thread (a bit each week rather than trying to comment on the whole thing at the end). I loved all the twists and the scene with Noah and Elle (in the chair with the bucket of water). Think the big kensei reveal was my fave moment, I saw him and went 'huh? - didn't he die?' and then had one of those 'oh yeah!' moments that I love so much - (think Vanilla Sky when you work out what's going on).

There's definitely a lot of avenues to explore in later episodes - Who kensei/adam was for the last 4 years (I've got a slight worry that they're gonna make him jack the ripper just cuz that always happens). - Presumably Claire will also live forever, could Hiro, Peter or whoever travel into the far future, see her there and bring back some cool techno gadgets? - Parkman was starting to manipulate people, he's a really nice guy but I can see him slipping a bit, or if someone kidnapped molly he could open a whole can of bennet on their ***.

ok that's enough - can somone bring me up to speed on news for the future? are they still going to do origins or is that completely scrapped?

Micah is sorely underused. Just because he's a kid doesn't mean he can't have a complex character and internal conflicts. I mean, he seems like a real sweetheart, and he basically is... but he also hacked a ****ing congressional election and has yet to show the slightest regret and we've no indication that he ever told anyone.

When I started watching Heroes, I didn't like Nikki. She had brief moments of badass later on and I liked DL and I liked how she acted when she was with DL, but I think that for at least the first half of season 1, she was season 1's South American twins.

I have a suggestion as to how to remedy both of these, although it is tragically too late to implement the plan.

In season 1, introduce Nikki and Jessica through Micah's eyes.

Micah is a gifted little boy with an eerie skill with machinery. He's naturally a kind, outgoing person, but his behavior is very subdued and strange.

Despite living in poverty, his mother clearly loves him very much and will go to any lengths to provide him with the best possible life. She's enraged with DL and his betrayal of her trust. He's not the man she thought he was. Micah doesn't know the details of why DL was sent to jail and doesn't understand why his mother doesn't love his dad anymore. He doesn't believe that DL could murder anyone.

At first, Jessica coming out would just seem like Nikki cheering up, and he'd be happy. But then she'd start to act really strange, snapping at him or making a smug comment about DL's imprisonment, and then not remembering it later, or something like that. You know all those times she stared at the mirror while Jessica looked back? All Micah would see was his mom going catatonic and staring at herself with a creepy expression. Imagine how horrible it would be to be him. Just a nice little kid with a great relationship with his parents, and one day everybody's talking **** about his dad who's gone forever and his mom is acting creepy and not herself and he can't figure out why.

All this would be encapsulated in the first episode and elaborated on a bit in the flashback. At the end of the first or second episode, we'd get this scene:

Micah is standing in front of a window, looking out in horror at a scene illuminated faintly by a streetlight. It's Jessica taking the corpses of the mob goons out to the trunk of the car, using superstrength and carrying two men at once, one over each shoulder. She slams the trunk shut and notices him. He gasps and recoils. She smiles at him, puts her fingers to her lips like "ssh", and winks as she walks around to the front of the car and drives off.

Awesome, right? Elaboration onto Micah's character, exploration of the mystery behind Jessica, Nikki, and DL, all with a tense atmosphere. Also, Micah is frankly way more sympathetic than Nikki.

Micah is sorely underused. Just because he's a kid doesn't mean he can't have a complex character and internal conflicts...

That's true - your story certainly makes it more intriguing but since the first series was already clouded with mystery, it was nice to have that situation illuminated from the start - original superpowered take on split personality (well it was used before in doom patrol and rising stars but whatever).

I liked the short bit with DL as a fireman, I thought that could've lead to more. Look at all the things Parkman does as a cop. I guess I really want some of the heroes just to get together and stop some small time crimes - bank robberies etc. Looks like Micah and Monica are up for that, maybe that's something that will be explored in the future. It could in anycase make both their stories more exciting. And thanks for the reminder about Micah fixing the election, there's def a guilt story that might come out when he's a few years older.

Sounds interesting...

The webisodes seem interesting, too. Is that guy going to be on the show? The Banshee rip off?

picked up seasons 1 + 2 on dvd today :D I missed season 2 so this should be great for me

Season 2 of Heroes is out? I thought it didn't come out until the 26th.

Latest posts

Back