House of M series discussion (spoilers)

Doc Comic said:
So it took eight issues plus countless miniseries to get to this final conclusion? That thousands of mutants would lose their powers? Wow. Good going, Bendis.

yourock.jpg
Post of the Day.

Um, from yesterday.

Re: House of M - The Aftermath: Who Was Changed... (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Not being an X-Man fan, I just don't understand the bulwark basis for HOM, which was to cut down on mutants. How is somebody with powers because of a genetic mutation different from a guy or girl who gets bitten by a spider, exposed to gamma rays, drinks a formula, builds invincable armor, learns lethal ninja secrets, etc. etc. etc.? It's like having an editorial meeting and saying "We need to reduce the number of characters who have superhuman strength. And who can fly. And run really fast." Joe Quack is a gas bag.

John Q. Public said:
Joe Quack is a gas bag.

And, you know... an Artist.

Not someone who should have any editorial say...

John Q. Public said:
Not being an X-Man fan, I just don't understand the bulwark basis for HOM, which was to cut down on mutants. How is somebody with powers because of a genetic mutation different from a guy or girl who gets bitten by a spider, exposed to gamma rays, drinks a formula, builds invincable armor, learns lethal ninja secrets, etc. etc. etc.? It's like having an editorial meeting and saying "We need to reduce the number of characters who have superhuman strength. And who can fly. And run really fast." Joe Quack is a gas bag.
Saying this before, HOM was NOT the intention to bring down the mutant numbers when Bendis pitched it. Joe Quesada had that go into the idea, changing things around however Bendis had planned it before.

Now, the difference, not much beyond origins. But are you really gonna have Spider-Man, Hulk, Iron Man, loose their powers or whatever? If you do, you dont have much of anything to put out their series. Its a whole different ball game for them than it is for mutants.

Well I enjoyed the last 2 issues. The series was breathtaking or anything. But it had it's moments. The magneto scene was the best part of the series. I like that they left it opened. "So no more Iceman" was really cool. That sucked but was pretty cool. The only thing I'm pissed is they didn't explain anything about the whole Magneto-Xorn thing like they said they will.

I have a theory on the tie-ins to HOM like Spider-Man and F4. They shown what would of happened to them if the House Of M kept going unchanged. That's the only way I could see it.

thee great one said:
... The only thing I'm pissed is they didn't explain anything about the whole Magneto-Xorn thing like they said they will.

They gave the Magneto/Xorn an entire one whole speculative sentence in HoM #7! It's all solved now! Get with the new Marvel open-ended universe.

Mo
(who likes actual explanations when they are called for, not just tossed-off one-liners....)

Bass said:
What was the line?
Dr. Strange to Scarlet Witch: "Did you create your father as well? I'd heard rumors of his death last year, and his somewhat puzzling rebirth before all this became...what it became. I wonder, was that you as well? How long have you been playing with the world?"

icemastertron said:
Saying this before, HOM was NOT the intention to bring down the mutant numbers when Bendis pitched it. Joe Quesada had that go into the idea, changing things around however Bendis had planned it before.

Now, the difference, not much beyond origins. But are you really gonna have Spider-Man, Hulk, Iron Man, loose their powers or whatever? If you do, you dont have much of anything to put out their series. Its a whole different ball game for them than it is for mutants.

My question is/was, why would mutates get singled out of a population of super-powered people? Human Torch shoots fire. Iceman, ice. One is a hero in the Marvel U, the other the member of a despised minority. Why? It just doesn't compute for me.

John Q. Public said:
My question is/was, why would mutates get singled out of a population of super-powered people? Human Torch shoots fire. Iceman, ice. One is a hero in the Marvel U, the other the member of a despised minority. Why? It just doesn't compute for me.
Race.

Guijllons said:

Can't race. Ah, I pulled a hamstring. I can barely limp. Is that seriously the thing? The mutants are a racial minority, which separates them from the She-Hulks and other superfolks?

John Q. Public said:
Can't race. Ah, I pulled a hamstring. I can barely limp. Is that seriously the thing? The mutants are a racial minority, which separates them from the She-Hulks and other superfolks?

Yup, just like Brunettes are a different race than blondes

So I reread this last night (the core story not the awful tie-ins). I don't know why I decided to do it.....I just did.

Anyways....I'm gonna be honest here. Take away the hype and promises of "changing the Marvel universe".....and it's damn good mini.

Yeah. There I said it. I liked House of M. Largely in part due to the art. Me likey. Come to think of it.....I recently re-read Civil War too. I liked HoM better.

That is all.

TOG and Proj ain't the only dead thread bumpers. :p

Last edited:
So I reread this last night (the core story not the awful tie-ins). I don't know why I decided to do it.....I just did.

Anyways....I'm gonna be honest here. Take away the hype and promises of "changing the Marvel universe".....and it's damn good mini.

Neither House of M nor Civil War are bad stories, but neither lived up to the ridiculous hype.

House of M took a few very bold steps which I thought was cool...but many were wasted. Particularly - Iceman losing his powers, Wolverine remembering everything (the subsequent stories should have been way better than they were), and the remaining mutants...way too many.

Latest posts

Back