How many superheroes should the DCU have?

When I was in first grade I didn't do a homework assignment and I had to sit in the principal's office and finish it while everyone else was in an assembly watching a magician.

That is all I have to add.

What a bastard.

It ruined me on magic for life. I couldn't even watch Shari Lewis (or her furry friends) teach me card tricks anymore.

101.jpg

Last edited:
"Illusion" is for douchebags. Seriously:

david_copperfield.jpg

db.jpg

crissangel.jpg

gob-dazzles-the-crowd-with-his-unique-brand-of-magic_468x312.jpg

Need I say more?

The problem I think is that you can have a small amount of superheroes, but eventually you will run out of good ideas... and we don't want to either wait for more good ideas to come, or for people to just use bad ideas. This is where more superheroes pop up, as there is a need for more stories involving more characters.

I have no idea why I just wrote this. I think I was trying to answer the title question, which is that there is no answer... if there is a need for more superheroes, then there will be. Simple as that.

I'm a big fan of the Paul Dini/Alex Ross stuff, and I love the Silver Age nostalgic universe of Justice, and how simple it is without all of the multiple Robins and Kryptonians and whathaveyou.

I don't think I can post in this thread anymore, because the answer to this question is impossible, whether it's opinion or fact, and I just ramble on.

For a more complete, 900-page definition of what magic really is, leap wildly out of your chair and run as quickly as possible to get all five volumes of Promethea by Alan Moore and JH Williams III.

See, the thing with Promethea is that even though I so, horribly, desperately want to read it, even though it's probably very relevant to my life and feelings, even though I know I'll probably learn so much more from it about so many things that are so very important and useful to me, I can't, and I won't be able to for a while, because the government(that already steals 5 hours of my day 5 days a week) demands that I waste even more of my precious leisure time reading crap like Oedipus Rex and The Stone Angel.

Seriously, read the synopsis of the The Stone Angel and honestly tell me you can think of a book that sounds less appealing to you. You can? Well maybe I should tell you that the 90-year-old main character also happens to be dying of TERMINAL BOWEL CANCER.

And why is this being forced upon me instead of Promethea? Because Promethea is fantasy, and uses pictures, and therefore couldn't possibly have any sort of intellectual relevance in preparing us for the soulless, serious world that we're being forced to "grow up" in.

F*** you, curriculum, I'll decide what makes me smarter.

*throws The Stone Angel out the window and runs to the bookstore*

- Superman
- Batman(and the world would consider him an urban legend of a big monster, not a superhero at all)
- Wonder Woman
- One Flash(either Barry or Wally, but no switching and no sidekicks)
- Hal Jordan
- Martian Manhunter
- Aquaman
- Plastic Man
- Green Arrow(known as a high-tech vigilante without powers)
- The Question
- The Atom
While I think the number of heroes in the DCU should be a lot larger I thik you just described the perfect line-up for a Justice League Movie. In a perfect DCU the Justice Society would be from the fifties and people would have heard rumors about heroes since then. Then all of a sudden Superman comes onto the scene and it's a race to see who can be the world's greatest hero. Then those twelve as the best would be the one's all of the other heroes strive to be and therefore emulate. I hope I'm not writing something completely confusing here.

Oh and Batman is not a superhero he is a detective , Vigilantly , Hero sure. Superhero Implies he has powers which he does not. He is as much as Superhero as James Bond or the punisher
While this isn't on topic I just have to say I completely disagree with you on that. I can see where you're getting at but it's kind of off. Just because a person doesn't have powers doesn't have powers doesn't mean they can't qualify as a superhero. If you are using that logic then Captain America isn't a superhero, he's just an enhanced hero. And because Nightwing's an acrobat but he's still a superhero because he leads one of the greatest teams of heroes on the Earth and fights threats larger than a police officer or fireman could handle. Any other hero like Iron Man or Booster Gold could then fit in because they wear a suit and don't have any regular powers. I can't remember which comic it was said in but it involved Superman and it said, "It isn't the super that makes him a hero, it's the man, it's is compassion for others," or something like that. So Batman is defenetly a superhero. Not because he doesn't have powers but because he fights threats larger than any regular "hero" could handle.
OK back on topic now, I just hate it when people don't consider Batman a superhero.

While this isn't on topic I just have to say I completely disagree with you on that. I can see where you're getting at but it's kind of off. Just because a person doesn't have powers doesn't have powers doesn't mean they can't qualify as a superhero. If you are using that logic then Captain America isn't a superhero, he's just an enhanced hero. And because Nightwing's an acrobat but he's still a superhero because he leads one of the greatest teams of heroes on the Earth and fights threats larger than a police officer or fireman could handle. Any other hero like Iron Man or Booster Gold could then fit in because they wear a suit and don't have any regular powers. I can't remember which comic it was said in but it involved Superman and it said, "It isn't the super that makes him a hero, it's the man, it's is compassion for others," or something like that. So Batman is defenetly a superhero. Not because he doesn't have powers but because he fights threats larger than any regular "hero" could handle.
I agree.

It's very simple, really. 'Super' is a prefix of an empowering nature all its own.

They call them 'superpowers' because they are powers that are super. I may have the power to bend my thumbs backwards, but that's not a power that is particularly SUPER. If I can leap tall buildings in a single bound, that's a POWER that is most definitely SUPER.

Furthermore, a 'superhero' is a hero who is super, and not necessarily a hero with superpowers. It is the HERO that he is who is more than a HERO. He is SUPER in his HERO-ness.

Batman, therefore is a SUPERHERO because he is a HERO who is pretty damn SUPER when he is going around HEROing the hell around Gotham.

Got that?

42 actually. the answer is always forty two.

I didn't want to go there.

And 39 is just such an odd number. I mean, who thinks of 39 for anything? No one, that's who!

"I got in a fierce debate at a roulette table over just what I considered an odd number." - Steven Wright

Last edited:
I love that, because everyone thinks that's the meaning of life.

It's only the meaning of life for Arthur, for a few books later, when he is geniunely happy, he sees the number forty two and comes upon the realization that he is geniunely happy

Furthermore, a 'superhero' is a hero who is super, and not necessarily a hero with superpowers. It is the HERO that he is who is more than a HERO. He is SUPER in his HERO-ness.

Batman, therefore is a SUPERHERO because he is a HERO who is pretty damn SUPER when he is going around HEROing the hell around Gotham.

Got that?

I still disagree, because that's all relative. You could say a firefighter or rescue worked who's saved a certain number of lives a superhero too. There's no way to decide.

The only fair call, IMO, is to call the one's with superhuman abilities superheroes and the ones without costumed crimefighters.

I still disagree, because that's all relative. You could say a firefighter or rescue worked who's saved a certain number of lives a superhero too. There's no way to decide.

The only fair call, IMO, is to call the one's with superhuman abilities superheroes and the ones without costumed crimefighters.

I always thought of the ones without metagenes or superpowers as "costumed vigilantes" (most of whom focused on street crime)...but yeah. I still agree.

Wow, the superhero arguement is like arguing whether I'm white or caucasian.

As my grampa says "6 of one, half dozen of another"

Costumed Vigilante also works for powered people like the X-Men, Teen Titans, etc.
So, it works both ways, if someone wants to call Batman a superhero, or a costumed vigilante, he's still Batman.

It seriously smacks of the whole what <insert foreign area>-American, title shall we name a particular minority.

And lastly...yes, Firefighters, Cops, Soldiers...they're friggen superheroes too.

Wow, the superhero arguement is like arguing whether I'm white or caucasian.

As my grampa says "6 of one, half dozen of another"

Costumed Vigilante also works for powered people like the X-Men, Teen Titans, etc.
So, it works both ways, if someone wants to call Batman a superhero, or a costumed vigilante, he's still Batman.

It seriously smacks of the whole what <insert foreign area>-American, title shall we name a particular minority.

And lastly...yes, Firefighters, Cops, Soldiers...they're friggen superheroes too.

Are not.

So,your saying their not heroes that the criminals the capture or de fire's the put out dont matter?(retoricle question btw im not acusing you or anything)

Sir, the fact that they risk their life to protec ours is pretty damn super.

So,your saying their not heroes that the criminals the capture or de fire's the put out dont matter?(retoricle question btw im not acusing you or anything)

Sir, the fact that they risk their life to protec ours is pretty damn super.

They're heroes. But they are not superheroes as they are not vigilantes who take the law into their own hands. And they don't have colorful costumes.

Latest posts

Back