Iron Man discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Iron Man?

• Total voters
Saw this in the cinema today. It was pretty solid some bits fell a bit flat but overall I loved it. The hand that kept fire extinguishing him was funny as hell. Not as good as Batman begins , The spider-man movies or the X-men ones but still pretty damn cool

I give it 7.5/10 (3 stars on the poll but only because it's 3.5 and I rounded down)

LitG:

This is a poster from the Iron Man Movie Bag, by Adi Granov, available at all good UK newsagents now. And some bad ones too, no doubt.

ironmanmoviebag.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so the movie was totally awesome.

But it was also the most effective product placement I can ever remember seeing, because as soon as I saw him eating that cheeseburger I knew I needed to get to Burger King. Of course, I was starving at the time, but still.

Okay, so the movie was totally awesome.

But it was also the most effective product placement I can ever remember seeing, because as soon as I saw him eating that cheeseburger I knew I needed to get to Burger King. Of course, I was starving at the time, but still.
I went to Wendy's.

Since the movie did really a sequel is a sure thing.

The problem is Iron man's rogues gallery is kinda weak.

Mandarin seems to be the best choice, but he has a few problems:

He is pretty outlandish, it might be tricky for people to buy a kung fu master with magic rings he got from a downed UFO. Its not like there is a more realistic Ultimatemandarin to balance it out.

He is pretty dated, he presented Chinese communism, which isn't as relevant today.

Mandarin isn't exactly PC and some might he clam he is a just a yellow pearl villain, brining up memories of Christopher Lee in yellow face as Fu Manchu. Silver age mandarin was pretty offensive.

However he seems like the only other IM villain who can carry a movie.

As for IM himself, I guess adapting "Demon in a bottle" would make for some good character development.

He is pretty dated, he presented Chinese communism, which isn't as relevant today.

:O

Have you've been watching the news?

Communism may have been dated with the fall of Russia, but Chinese rule is hardly outdated, and even worse today than ever.

They still inhibit several people's rights, they rich and the poor have a huge, HUGE difference between them. And don't forget about the people of Tibet who were conquered by China, and China refuses to give them their independence back.

It could still work in today's times easily enough.

:O

Have you've been watching the news?

Communism may have been dated with the fall of Russia, but Chinese rule is hardly outdated, and even worse today than ever.

They still inhibit several people's rights, they rich and the poor have a huge, HUGE difference between them. And don't forget about the people of Tibet who were conquered by China, and China refuses to give them their independence back.

It could still work in today's times easily enough.

Yeah, but remember all that Japan bashing in the 80s because their economy did better ours. In hindsight that stuff came off as kinda racist.

That's a bigger problem, is can Mandarin came off as anything expect a yellow pearl villain in a movie? You have to be real careful with him, in terms of making his outlandish origin fit in the Iron Man movie universe and making sure he doesn't come off as a racial sterotype.

China isn't really our enemy anymore, more of a rival than anything esle.

Mandarin is my least favorite Marvel character of all time.

He pretty well sucks.

But how many other Iron Man villains can carry a movie? It would be hard to base a whole movie around Blizzard.It seems like Mandrain is is our only option.

Last edited:
But how many other Iron Man villains can carry a movie? It would be hard to base a whole movie around Blizzard.It seems like Mandrain is is our only option.

Crimson Dynamo could, as a guy sent out by a Chinese business rival to take out Stark. . . or something.

They could use a villain from some other Marvel book, or they could create a new villain.

Yeah, but remember all that Japan bashing in the 80s because their economy did better ours. In hindsight that stuff came off as kinda racist.

That's a bigger problem, is can Mandarin came off as anything expect a yellow pearl villain in a movie? You have to be real careful with him, in terms of making his outlandish origin fit in the Iron Man movie universe and making sure he doesn't come off as a racial sterotype.

China isn't really our enemy anymore, more of a rival than anything esle.

You're references to Chinese communism are dated. A backdrop into chinese communism now could work perfect given the right situation. Maybe something to do with leftover Stark weapons cache the Chinese bought in bulk from Stane before he was "killed" or something. China right now actually owns the US with all the money we borrowed from them. If they wanted, the chinese government could bankrupt the whole US economy the second they decide they want the US to pay their debt owed.

Latest posts

Back