Iron Man discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Iron Man?

• Total voters
Crimson Dynamo could, as a guy sent out by a Chinese business rival to take out Stark. . . or something.

They could use a villain from some other Marvel book, or they could create a new villain.

But Dynamo will seem redundant with Iron monger as the villain in this film.

Also which villain could IM borrow? The rights to Spidey, X-Men, the FF and many other heroes belong to different studios, so those villains are out.

As for a new villain, that never works, remember nuclear man? fans are never happy with new movie villans and they always suck.

You're references to Chinese communism are dated. A backdrop into chinese communism now could work perfect given the right situation. Maybe something to do with leftover Stark weapons cache the Chinese bought in bulk from Stane before he was "killed" or something. China right now actually owns the US with all the money we borrowed from them. If they wanted, the chinese government could bankrupt the whole US economy the second they decide they want the US to pay their debt owed.

No, I made 3 points, not just one. Mandrain may not be dated, but he still seems like a racial sterotype and somewhat outlandish.

See if make the villains Chinese bsiness, it ay seem similar to the Japan bashing from the 80s, which was kinda racist in hindsight.

Mandarin has to come across as villain who happens to asian, rather than just an asian villain. You have to get some good writing to make him something more than a yellow peril villain.

Last edited:
Seeing as the 10 Rings is a multinational terrorist organization, I don't think we have to worry about him being a "yellow peril" villain. He'll be a terrorist. As for him being Asian, well, that's a given. He'll probably say he's a direct descendant of Genghis Khan and that the title of "The Mandarin" was first created by Khan.

As for the ring themselves. . .my guess is they are just highly advanced technology. Perhaps mini-ARC reactors each meant to power a different function. I doubt they'll go the alien route.

As for other villains. . .Crimson Dynamo could work like he did in the Ultimate Universe. Instead of a single threat (As you said, it'd be kind of redundant with Iron Monger already used), he controls an army of Crimson Dynamos.

Or they could use Fin Fang Foom. :D

EDIT: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Scoop-Iron-Man-2-Plot-And-Villain-Details-8736.html

Or, they could use The Mandarin AND Fin Fang Foom. But, Thor needs to stay a cameo. He's getting his own movie and will team up with Tony in The Avengers. He doesn't need anything besides a cameo in Iron Man 2. I like the possibility of Fury playing a bigger role, though. More Sam Jackson is a good thing.

Last edited:
Seeing as the 10 Rings is a multinational terrorist organization, I don't think we have to worry about him being a "yellow peril" villain. He'll be a terrorist. As for him being Asian, well, that's a given. He'll probably say he's a direct descendant of Genghis Khan and that the title of "The Mandarin" was first created by Khan.

Still considering the character's somewhat, questionable, past they would really have to write him well to avoid that label.

I mean you could say 60s Fu Manchu rip off Mandarin was terrorist, but he was also an offensive sterotype.

However I heard he has gotten better in his latest appearance, so maybe that's sopmething to draw on.

As for the ring themselves. . .my guess is they are just highly advanced technology. Perhaps mini-ARC reactors each meant to power a different function. I doubt they'll go the alien route..

Still stane said that he has superior tech to the terrroists, so they will have to explain where they got the tech for the rings from. The terrorists were living in a cave, not a lot of high tech stuff there.

As for other villains. . .Crimson Dynamo could work like he did in the Ultimate Universe. Instead of a single threat (As you said, it'd be kind of redundant with Iron Monger already used), he controls an army of Crimson Dynamos. ..

Both Ultimate and 616 dynamo are nothing more than throw away characters and glorified minions rather than being mover and shakers in their own right. at best CD seems like cannon fodder.

I think it isn't all that difficult to remake Mandarin as a villain while STILL retaining his Asian ethnicity. Have they Ultimatized him yet, cause I recall saying I have clear Ultimatized ideas for the character, though I may have withheld it for purposes of Dreamcasting.

Last edited:
I think it isn't all that difficult to remake Mandarin as a villain while STILL retaining his Asian ethnicity. Have they Ultimatized him yet, cause I recall saying I have clear Ultimatized ideas for the character, though I may have withheld it for purposes of Dreamcasting.

You wanted him to be the media mogul right?

Thats closer to what I suggested HERE than anything I've seen Ourchair suggest.

I really like my idea from there...

Oh, and the movie was excellent. Better than Batman Begins (The microwave bit at the end ruins it for me) but I expect The Dark Knight to beat it out.

promotional image handed out at the big ticket premieres, I guess it was in a sort of goodie bag

ironmanmoviebag.jpg

Oh man, this movie was ridiculously good! I couldn't help but think to myself that this is really the first Marvel movie that anyone could watch with no knowledge of the comics and enjoy, the perfect mix of action, sci-fi and character building that puts asses in theater seats. The film itself had major personality.

I never though Robert Downey Jr. was a bad choice for this role, even though I thought Rob Lowe might be better for it, but now I'm convinced... Robert Downey, Jr. IS Tony Stark. His eccentricities were perfect, his delivery dead-on. I doubt this movie will get any Oscar nods, but RDJ gave an Oscar-worthy performance.

Of course, that teaser after the credits just made it that much better. I can't wait to see the continuation of the buildup to an Avengers movie.

Yes.

I waver between making him the CEO of Mandarin Telecommunications, a kind of evil Asian version of Rupert Murdoch, an idea I'll admit came from compound, but I want him to have a more eschatological bent.

Baxter said:
Thats closer to what I suggested HERE than anything I've seen Ourchair suggest.
I believe I shot it off as a fairly unexplained one-line idea in one of those threads about Ultimate villains that Overlord started.

Probably the same one in which I said that Kristoff should be the child of Reed & Doom, and that Alicia and Philip Masters are 3D model designers.

There hasn't been an ultimate mandarin, no one has bothered trying to update him in UU.

I don't think him being a media mogul would work in the movie universe, considering he is being set up to be a terrorist.

I heard Mandarin's latest arc in the iron man comic has made some good strides in moving him past his Fu Manchu origins, so maybe they could work with that.

Great movie.

RDJ IS Stark!! its "uncanny".

Best bit: First test of his repulsors.
"i'm gonna start with 10 percent" THOOOMM into the wall....... delay ...... sprayed with fire retardant. I laughed so much I missed the next 2 minutes of the movie. Then after a moments pause missed the next 2 minutes due to more laughing.

Worst bit: ........... uummmm Stane's upside down head!!??!!

The end credit scene was even better than the one in Daredevil. And I love that scene. " uurrrmmmm bullseye"

Needless to say I left the hall gagging for more superhero action!!

No gang signs!! nah i'm kidding throw 'em up.

5/5

According to the tracking numbers on Speed Racer, it's starting to look like Iron Man is going to hold onto the number one spot in the box office.

According to the tracking numbers on Speed Racer, it's starting to look like Iron Man is going to hold onto the number one spot in the box office.

I think it will keep a number 1 spot till Indiana Jones comes out and no offence to anyone but wipes Iron man's numbers away. I honestly predict the two films that will do best at cinema this year = Indiana Jones and Star wars clone wars just for the sheer size of the fan bases.

Latest posts

Back