Iron Man discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Iron Man?

• Total voters

Random

Didn't **** any of those *****es
I just saw the movie and decided to return for one post in the middle of my self imposed exile to say what I thought. And I might as well start the spoiler filled thread

It was un-freaking-believable! One of the best Super hero movies ever. The action was top notch, the humor was great and the action was incredible. Downey was perfect as Stark and could not have done better. there were plenty of instances where he stumbles all over his excuses and stunk at lying, which in other comic movies REALLY pissed me off, Robert did it perfectly. The very end was awesome. Instead of doing the classic movie thing and keep the superhero status quo he just out right said "I am Iron Man" just a great moment.

Oh and after the credits I almost pissed my pants (mainly because I really had to go). I don't like Sam Jackson as Fury, but still to here "The Avengers Initiative" is just astounding. One of a geeks great fantasies will come true, I really hope Hulk does something like this.

I want to go back and watch this again. Here's to a new future of Marvel movies.

And with that I return to my exile. Doom, MaxwellSmart send me an e-mail [/cryptic message]

Iron Man Movie Discussion (SPOILERS!)

Quite possibly the best Marvel movie so far. Seriously. RDJ was the perfect Tony Stark, he looked the part, played the part and was the part. The nod to War Machine when Rhodes looked at the Mk2 suit and just said "Next time baby.." was cool.
The Strategic Homeland Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate were present throughout the whole film, which I liked because it made the film feel like it was part of the Marvel universe, something the other films haven't yet done, and the final moment with the agent when Pepper was saying the whole name, and he just turned, smiled and said "Just call us SHIELD." was fantastic. Plenty of hints that the Mandarin was working behind the scenes as well without directly referencing him.
The final moment before the credits hit was great as well. Stark is holding a press conference, SHIELD had crafted an alibi for him to distance himself from Iron Man, all he has to do is read from card given to him, and he decided screw it. Looked at the assembled press
"I am Iron Man."
Film ends with the Black Sabbath track. Awesome.

Then comes the post credits moment. The moment I have been praying to happen ever since the first issue of The Ultimates.
Nick Fury is standing in Starks living room. Every bit of dialogue in that scene again helped cement the fact that this is the first Marvel film to be a part of the Marvel universe.
"Do you really think you're the only superhero out there? You've just entered a whole new universe.."

"Who the hell are you?"

"Nick Fury, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. I want to talk to you about something called The Avengers Initiative."

Sam Jackson. Nick Fury. Awesome.

This movie rocked. Its rocked so hard it fell over, got back up and started rocking again.

Last edited:
The movie was astounding. Truly. Major, major props to Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark. He pretty much made the movie. Also, the performances of Jeff Bridges, Terrance Howard, and Gweneth Paltrow were great as well. The only misgiving I had was the Monger fight, which I felt should have been a bit longer, but, in the end, it was a minor grievance. The final scene where Stark says "The truth is. . .I'm Iron Man" was chilling.

Oh, and the scene after the credits. . .HOLY ****ING ****. Sam Jackson. Nick Fury. The Avengers Initiative. I literally jumped up and cheered.

If this is the kind of quality we're going to see from Marvel Studios, I can't wait to see what else they have in store for us. Honestly, this movie made me even more excited to see The Incredible Hulk. And the possibility of an Avengers movie with Sam Jackson running it. . .that's just. . .WOW.

Also, what was the foreshadowing for the Mandarin? I know the sequel is supposed to tackle him, but I honestly didn't catch that at all.

Last edited:
The main foreshadowing was the mention of the terrorist group name: The Ten Rings...

The movie was incredible. End of story. Go see it if you haven't.

Last edited:
The movie WAS indeed amazing!

And it was the little things that made me geek out while watching it. Like when Tony won that award---and the fanfare/music that played was the intro to the original Iron Man cartoon. Jarvis being an interactive security system that catered to Stark's command instead of an actual live butler. The Ten Rings nod to Mandarin. It's small things like that that REALLY made the movie.

But Downey as Stark was 100% accurate. He captured the persona of Stark so perfectly that I actually forgot I was watching Downey onscreen. And who told Paltrow that if she wore stillettos and dyed her hair that color she'd be considered attractive? Because they were right. And Terrence Howard as War Machine is so ****ing awesome that I can't wait for the sequel.

This is the first Marvel film in a long time that's actually been worth a damn. It completely makes up for the string of ****ty adaptations they've put out over the past few years (I'm looking at you SM3, FF, FF2, GR, Elektra).

10/5

That good.

My only 2 worries are that Downey wouldn't want to commit to an action franchise like this.....and when Fury said Avengers Initiative I got goosebumps. But not the good kind. The horrible shuddering kind that you get when you think about the ****bomb that is Marvel's Ultimate Avengers.

Last edited:
To be fair, if this is the quality of film we can expect from Marvel Studios in the future, we are looking at some hella good Marvel movies.

That is until they make House of M - The Movie, Ultimates 3 - The Movie or Civil War - The Movie..

To be fair, if this is the quality of film we can expect from Marvel Studios in the future, we are looking at some hella good Marvel movies.

That is until they make House of M - The Movie, Ultimates 3 - The Movie or Civil War - The Movie..

Civil War would be cool.

*minutes later Venom became victimi of Ultimatecentral's first Linching*

Really, a crossover flick would be cool,hell a movie sentered around the villains Banding together would rock too.

The way I see it is this...

The whole purpose of Marvel Studios is to move the 'project development' stage closer to the company's chest, so instead of having Avi Arad and his Pals keep pitching and pitching and pitching over and over to studios, it's a matter of them pitching and pitching and pitching to the talents instead.

This doesn't necessarily mean the movies are automatically better, but there's less of an intermediary step in the development phase, where the executive producers, the directors and Marvel Comics try to be on the same page, rather than let Fox or Universal muddle the negotiation process.

After all, this is the industry that just couldn't "get" Hellboy for over five years, vacillating between insisting that Hellboy be a soul-sold soldier from Hell like Spawn or a guy who turns into a demon when he gets angry like the Hulk.

My only 2 worries are that Downey wouldn't want to commit to an action franchise like this.....and when Fury said Avengers Initiative I got goosebumps. But not the good kind. The horrible shuddering kind that you get when you think about the ****bomb that is Marvel's Ultimate Avengers.

All the actors and Favreau committed to a trilogy. Downey actually set up his office right next to Favreau so he could be more involved in the screenwriting process.

As for the Avengers. . .I can only hope. I absolutely love Ultimate Nick Fury, so Sam Jackson at the end was just amazing. Plus, I'm pretty sure Favreau said he wanted to direct the Avengers and he wanted both Downey and Ed Norton in the movie returning to their roles.

The way I see it is this...

The whole purpose of Marvel Studios is to move the 'project development' stage closer to the company's chest, so instead of having Avi Arad and his Pals keep pitching and pitching and pitching over and over to studios, it's a matter of them pitching and pitching and pitching to the talents instead.

This doesn't necessarily mean the movies are automatically better, but there's less of an intermediary step in the development phase, where the executive producers, the directors and Marvel Comics try to be on the same page, rather than let Fox or Universal muddle the negotiation process.

After all, this is the industry that just couldn't "get" Hellboy for over five years, vacillating between insisting that Hellboy be a soul-sold soldier from Hell like Spawn or a guy who turns into a demon when he gets angry like the Hulk.

Exactly, and it just takes directors like Mark Johnson to set Marvel movies back to suckness.

Exactly, and it just takes directors like Mark Johnson to set Marvel movies back to suckness.
I agree.

Remember that for all the flaws and problems with films like Ghost Rider and Daredevil, Johnson is NO Uwe Boll. He obviously 'gets' the characters, and is clearly eloquent about discussing their essence and appeal. That doesn't make him any better as a director, but by the same measure it doesn't mean that being in tune with the property makes a great film a foregone conclusion.

How is it compared to Batman Betgins or Spider-man 3? I'm seeing it tonight...can't wait.
Batman Begins is ultimately cooler, while Iron Man is ultimately more likable. If that makes any sense.

I probably like Iron Man more, but that's not the same as saying it's a better film.

Just got back from seeing it with the family. This was extra-special because it was my dad's birthday and he's a lifelong fan(X2 also came out on his b-day, SM1 the day after.... sweetness).

Anyway, hfajknhj4e4rejf58i6y....

Whoops, I starting thinking about the movie again and lapsed into an epileptic seizure of awesome.

My sister instinctively said we should stay after the credits, thank god. Truly a "comics come to life" moment.

I still think a couple of the superhero movies top it, but it's certainly right up there with the best of them.

Also, although this was pretty much expected, Robert Downey Jr is officially a contender for second-most-perfect superhero casting ever(Christopher Reeve is still #1 of course, and personally I'd put Tobey Maguire following him, but RDj might be tying for that spot now).

I think RDjr beats out Reeves for perfection. Reeves never had the actiony side of Superman down, in my oppinion.

That said, holy **** ****. This was pretty much the best Iron Man movie that they could have made. This is just as good as Batman Begins, probably not quite as good, but its very very close. *******. I'm just reeling from this movie. It is everything I hoped for.

And all the little things it set up, SHIELD, the Ten Rings (was the unnamed leader guy of the group wearing one of the ten rings of power? If its Mandarin, why doesn't he have more? and if not, why would Mandarin share his power? But still, they did a great job to set him up as villain in the next movie), the relationship between Tony and Pepper... And the end... I still don't think they should have gone with the SL Jackson Fury, but i'll be damned if i didn't cheer with everyone else who sat through the credits.

This bodes extremely well for the future of Marvel Studios. I can't wait to see what they pull off next. Hopefully Incredible Hulk won't suck... I know it won't be as good as this, but if they can pull it off to some degree, they'll have more incentive to continue this.

Captain America should be their highest priority. And whoever is writing it should get a stack of the Brubaker issues.

Batman Begins is ultimately cooler, while Iron Man is ultimately more likable. If that makes any sense.

I probably like Iron Man more, but that's not the same as saying it's a better film.

I agree with this completely.

Last edited:
And all the little things it set up, SHIELD, the Ten Rings (was the unnamed leader guy of the group wearing one of the ten rings of power? If its Mandarin, why doesn't he have more? and if not, why would Mandarin share his power? But still, they did a great job to set him up as villain in the next movie),.

I was thinking about that as well, then I was thinking, the whole thing could be that this particular Mandarin kills his 9 contemporaries and becomes a HUGE global threat.

Just got back and loved it. It made the night seem extra special seeing the New Dark Knight and New Incredible Hulk trailers, just before the start of the movie.

Latest posts

Back