Jay Leno blows

Actually, they could just have Conan on after Colbert. His concern about time slot is only because the Tonight Show has always been at 11:30 for like 30 years and he feels to suddenly change a prestige program like to accommodate for a crappy show. It doesn't have anything to do with himself wanting to be on at a certain time. So he would actually be perfect there, comedy central doesn't give a **** and will let him basically do whatever he wants. It's a perfect fit, specially after their fight during the writer strike.

Last edited:
Seth Myers explains the situation on Weekend Update:

This week, you didn't need Cinemax to see someone get screwed on TV.

So how did NBC let it come to this? Well, I think I can explain it. Let's say you're married, and it's the number one marriage in the country. But then, you meet someone else who just sweeps you off your feet. So you say to her, "I wanna marry you. In five years." And she says, "Yes, I will wait five years to marry you." So then you go home and you tell your current wife, "Honey, in five years, we're getting a divorce." Now, you might think your current wife would be super-cool with that, and say thank you for being honest, but it turns out, she's actually super mad! And as the five years, pass, she gets in really good shape. So when the time comes for the divorce, she's looking better than ever. She looks so good, that you see other people looking at her, and you get jealous. So you come up with an awesome plan: you'll still marry the second person, but you'll stay married to the first. So you tell the new wife, "Good news, we're totally married, but every night when I get home, I'm gonna spend a half hour with my first wife first, but then I'm all yours." Before you can even see how she feels about it, you hold a big press conference, and tell people that you've changed the future of marriage. Now if you think the new wife is cool with this plan, she's not; she's super-mad. And the first wife is also acting weird, because, y'know, YOU HAVE TWO WIVES. But then, just when you think you're stuck, you come up with the perfect plan to solve all your problems. You kill your second wife.

The question now is, "Will NBC be ok?" That all depends on one thing: Chuck. Lot of pressure on Chuck right now. Also, I feel bad for the writers of Law & Order. They're going to be responsible for ten hours of programming a day. They say their stories are ripped from the headlines, but a newspaper only has so many headlines to rip. The last episode I saw was about a broken air conditioner at a PTA meeting. Next week, two detectives are gonna try and solve a Sudoku. Look, obviously, I'm invested in this because it affects me. If Jay can take his job back from Conan, that means Conan can take it back from Jimmy, and that means Jimmy might come here, and I cannot go back to being in a sketch once every three weeks.
:lol::lol:

tumblr_kwopumytrh1qarcmpo1_500.jpg

This.

So, a couple of quotes that, despite being from Cracked, are right on the money.

Then, Cracked Editor-in-Pants Jack O'Brien (we call him that because he's the only one who wears them), reminded me that The Tonight Show is sort of pointless, these days. I recognize and respect what it once stood for but, as far as an enjoyable program, it falls short and it's been falling short for years. I've only really enjoyed it these last two weeks, when you stopped giving a ****, and that's hardly standard of a Tonight Show performance, right? Normally it's all "Teri Hatcher's going to talk about some bull**** followed by a performance by Everclear, everybody, what do you think of that?"

Who would want to watch that?

As is often the case, Louis CK probably said it best when he said "I don't know why Conan would want to… host 'The Tonight Show,' [which] is just this old, ****ty thing. Let Jay have it." He's right, Conan. The Tonight Show isn't to young comedians today what it was to you when you were growing up. It's just some awful Jay Leno show. It's changed. TV has changed, you can be doing so much better. I'm actually thrilled that you won't be hosting the Tonight Show anymore. It means you will no longer be chained to the desk, and you're free to work on anything. The past was "Conan doing The Tonight Show. The future is "Conan doing whatever he wants."

It's true, we do. We can't argue with his ratings: People loved him as host of The Tonight Show. We can argue with his jokes, though. They suck. (See? Told you we could argue with them.) Leno represents the middle-of-the-road, lowest common denominator type of comedy that we've come to loathe in our many years of dicking around on the Internet ... My point is, your ratings were low because the kind of people who like your comedy are the kind of people who don't watch late night talk shows. Or if they do, they watch The Daily Show and Colbert.

Last edited:
So, a couple of quotes that, despite being from Cracked, are right on the money.

Well my feeling there was that Conan is the one guy who can bring the Tonight Show back to it's former glory, if it weren't for the NBC execs screwing it up

Conan's farewell speech:

"Before we end this rodeo, a few things need to be said. There has been a lot of speculation in the press about what I legally can and can't say about NBC. To set the record straight, tonight I am allowed to say anything I want. And what I want to say is this: between my time at Saturday Night Live, the Late Night show, and my brief run here on The Tonight Show, I have worked with NBC for over 20 years. Yes, we have our differences right now and yes, we're going to go our separate ways. But this company has been my home for most of my adult life. I am enormously proud of the work we have done together, and I want to thank NBC for making it all possible.
Walking away from The Tonight Show is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Making this choice has been enormously difficult. This is the best job in the world, I absolutely love doing it, and I have the best staff and crew in the history of the medium. But despite this sense of loss, I really feel this should be a happy moment. Every comedian dreams of hosting The Tonight Show and, for seven months, I got to. I did it my way, with people I love, and I do not regret a second. I've had more good fortune than anyone I know and if our next gig is doing a show in a 7-Eleven parking lot, we'll find a way to make it fun.

And finally, I have to say something to our fans. The massive outpouring of support and passion from so many people has been overwhelming. The rallies, the signs, all the goofy, outrageous creativity on the Internet, and the fact that people have traveled long distances and camped out all night in the pouring rain to be in our audience, made a sad situation joyous and inspirational.

To all the people watching, I can never thank you enough for your kindness to me and I'll think about it for the rest of my life. All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism — it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen. As proof, let's make an amazing thing happen right now."

Well my feeling there was that Conan is the one guy who can bring the Tonight Show back to it's former glory, if it weren't for the NBC execs screwing it up

Hm... That's a good point, but....

I just don't think the audience is or ever will be there for that kind of show. Sad as it is, I think the ship has sailed for network late night talk shows. The audience and the interest just isn't there, and that venue of entertainment, which was great in its time, is just kind of obsolete now. We're so overloaded with celebrity information and celebrity gossip that these interviews just don't have an impact anymore. Even if Johnny Carson were alive today, I don't think even he could resuscitate the late night talk show.

Last edited:
Hm... That's a good point, but....

I just don't think the audience is or ever will be there for that kind of comedy. Sad as it is, I think the ship has sailed for network late night talk shows. The audience and the interest just isn't there, and that venue of entertainment, which was great in its time, is just kind of obsolete now. We're so overloaded with celebrity information and celebrity gossip that these interviews just don't have an impact anymore. Even if Johnny Carson were alive today, I don't think even he could resuscitate the late night talk show.

See this whole thing wasn't cause by a dying audience. Late night shows do get really good ratings, in fact I believe they get the best ratings during that time slot. This whole mess up was because NBC has become a cluster-**** of a company. Which isn't a recent thing, they've been falling due to crappy decisions like this for a few years now. They don't need to "resuscitate the late night talk show" NBC just has to get their **** together. They backed the wrong horse and their gonna feel it.

In fact Conan pointed their fall last time he hosted the emmy awards

[video=youtube;xjw9XhjqG14]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjw9XhjqG14[/video]

Should have seen it coming.

Latest posts

Back