Let the battle cry be heard in the land, a shout of great destruction...

Newsarama said:
1) First off – and asked multiple times – this image was clearly based on the promotional image generated for The Sopranos. Why? What was it about those characters, or the coming drama that mapped out to the DCU?

Dan Didio: Actually there were several inspirations for the piece and each character was chosen because of their importance to upcoming storylines in the DC Universe. This is not about one book or one story but about the major events that will unfold throughout the year.

2) What's the device near Max Lord's body? If not "what" how about it's place of origin?

DD: Not really sure of its origin but it looks like it was built by the King himself. All I know is that it can light the road to hell or salvation depending on your point of view.

3) Why isn't Superboy (Conner) among the dead bodies? You do know he's not Supernova, right?

DD: Superboy isn't Supernova??!!? Damn, I've been waiting for the collected edition of 52 to read it and now you just ruined it for me! If I was to guess, we were probably going through all our major deaths alphabetically and just ran out of space after Q.

4) Assuming these are the major heroic players of what's being teased, who would be featured if this image were showing the major villainous players of what's to come?

DD: Wouldn't it be great if we did another piece that featured just as many mysteries around our greatest villains?

5) Is that the ever-lovin' Blue Eyed Barry Allen as the Flash?

DD: If that was Barry, shouldn't he be lying on the ground with the dead instead of standing with the heroes?

6) Does the positioning of the characters have meaning? Can you give an example?

DD: Physical separation can also represent emotional separation or distance. It also can represent separate storylines. Where you stand and how you stand can determine your ultimate future. There are no accidents in positioning, body or gaze. Light and shadow also play a role.

7) When will we know definitely what this pic is about?

DD: Events reflected in this picture will play throughout the year and hopefully things will make sense enough so that you can connect the dots as they occur.

8) Are all the assembled characters from the same Earth?

DD: Yes, they are all from the same Earth. But let me say, as the sighs of relief and the gasps of disapproval die down, some of these images are literal and some are symbolic, I leave it to you to figure out which is which.

9) Why the tagline "Let the battle cry be heard in the land, a shout of great destruction..."? With this great destruction and moving on to Act III will we see a third Crisis to go along with Identity & Infinite?

DD: Funny thing, I was told that the quote came from the Book of Jeremiah; I thought it was from the book of Genesis.

10) Are all pieces of this larger image meant to be taken literally?

DD: As I mentioned above, there is a literal and symbolic reason for the positioning and clothing of our heroes.

11) When will Superman stop being all emo and crying at bad turns of events? He was raised by Midwesterners – folks not known for showing emotion among their menfolk… John Wayne came from Iowa, Gary Cooper came from Montana, Henry Fonda came from Nebraska…not a weepy Willy among the bunch. Can we at least see another hero look at Superman crying and say, "girl"?

DD: You Guys Got Me On This One. Crisis On Infinite Earths #7, Wonder Woman #175 (I think?) and Identity Crisis #1. Twice Superman cried on a cover, once inside, that's three times that I know of over twenty years. Unless I am missing a whole lot of times, this statement seems a bit extreme. I am sure there or a bunch of guys ready to correct me if I am wrong but be that as it may, if Superman cries, there has to be a real good reason for it.

13) Why is Donna in her Wonder Girl uniform?

DD: The color is important key to her future and her allegiance.

14) Is that Ray Palmer's arm?

DD: It's the Atom's arm alright, the question is, is he climbing out or sinking in.

15) Why is Mary Marvel in the picture, isn't she suppose to be depowered in the Trials of Shazam series?

DD: These pictures reflect events yet to come, so it sounds to me like there is a story with Mary that is about to be told.

16) What is up with Batman in that picture and why does he have a sword? Is that Bruce Wayne from the same Earth that Batman and Detective are set on?

DD: The image is symbolic in natural and it is indeed the Batman you are reading now. As for the sword, it's not the first time he used one.

17) Why are so many of the characters in the image looking up?

DD: Something coming down from the skies perhaps?

18) Whose flight ring is on the ground?

DD: A Legionnaire's, of course.

19) Why are all the dead characters melting/phasing into the ground?

DD: Symbolic in nature, the ground gave up the bodies but not completely as to confuse anyone that these characters might return.

20) Is there anything about this picture we were supposed to notice, but haven't yet? How much of the secret(s) of this picture could we determine just from it and what we've already seen? Is something coming up soon that might give us clues relevant to the picture?

DD: Like I said at the start, with all the keen eyes analyzing this piece nearly all the mysteries, from the ground they stand on to the distant skyline, have been recognized. We have some great stories heading your way, and I think it would be a disaster if we gave them away now. I'm counting down to when we can finally talk about this, but until then, keep the ideas and speculation coming, after all getting there is half the fun.

This is clearly and definitely preview art for what may or may not be called "Countdown," which will begin with Week 51 after Week 52 is released and count down to Week Zero and the start what I'm sure is going to be Crisis on Infinite Earths 2, hopefully this time with a good solid 12 issues that will prove a satisfactory ending for the saga that began with Identity Crisis.

We're about to enter the Third Act

Act I: Identity Crisis, Countdown to Infinite Crisis, OMAC Project (w/ Sacrifice), Rann-Thanagar War, Villains United, and Day of Vengeance
Act II: Infinite Crisis, 52, OYL
Act III: Countdown, Amazons Attack (probably a few more minis), and The Last Crisis

And if these aren't alternate earth characters, I hope Red Robin is Jason Todd.

Last edited:
Oh. . . this is exciting, I guess, sure, but. . .

Man, I really loved the Wildstorm Universe. It was self-contained, had a lot of history, all the continuity lined up. . . and now it's been rebooted and integrated into the DCU. Meh.

Oh. . . this is exciting, I guess, sure, but. . .

Man, I really loved the Wildstorm Universe. It was self-contained, had a lot of history, all the continuity lined up. . . and now it's been rebooted and integrated into the DCU. Meh.

I always thought it was before with the Batman/Planetary crossover, Mr. Majestic showing up in the Superman titles, and Captain Atom romp though and destruction of the Wildstorm universe.

Last edited:
I always thought it was before with the Batman/Planetary crossover, Mr. Majestic showing up in the Superman titles, and Captain Atom romp though and destruction of the Wildstorm universe.

Well, I didn't read Batman/Planetary, so I don't know how that worked, but the Majestic stuff was kind of strange and the Captain Atom mini is really where this whole thing started. I wouldn't mind just the Majestic thing if it was contained to only what he did in the DCU and he came right back, but now it seems like a full-on integration.

Well, I didn't read Batman/Planetary, so I don't know how that worked, but the Majestic stuff was kind of strange and the Captain Atom mini is really where this whole thing started. I wouldn't mind just the Majestic thing if it was contained to only what he did in the DCU and he came right back, but now it seems like a full-on integration.

Actually, it's not full on integration, DCU and WSU are still divided by the Bleed. It's just with Cap Atom's return, the DCU is now more aware of it. I'm hoping that the return of the multiverse is just integrating the snowflake into the DCU.

Latest posts

Back