Lost *spoilers*

Re: Lost

Right. Jack and Sayid definitely had a purpose but it was never actually fleshed out... I thought to myself for a minute, "are they still trying to fix the computer?" since they were talking about where the wires lead or whatever, but then when I saw them crawl into the dank "basement" of the hatch, I knew otherwise. This probably happened because of all of the misdirection going on... Does anyone think there are too many characters now that the other side of the plane has shown up?

I don't think it's because of the number of characters they have. I think the problem is coming from the writers trying to tell too much of a story in a small timeframe. Could it be from the cast bickering about not having enough or equal screen time?

Goodwill said:
Ok, let me come out and say it... I don't find Hurley interesting. I had a difficult time following his motives not only with this episode but the episode that followed him last time, too. He functions oddly, probably unnaturally, and that, to me, is a weak character. I know that most people like him because he's the funny one and, don't get me wrong, for that reason I think he's cool, too, but he can't support an episode by himself.

For that reason I think this episode was the one the tried for the hour it was on for purpose. There was no direction as the last three have had which I did not like... Characters walked along aimlessly and all of these things happened but nothing significant. Last week's episode is a hard act to follow, but seriously...

I do sound a little too critical, don't I? I admit, anything with Lost in the title will now entertain me for the time between each episode so I'm not saying Lost is bad. There was enough in the episode last night to keep me involved (the Tail Ends, as I'd like to call those in Anna's group with Michael, Jin, and Sawyer).

And another thing... Just what were Jack and Sayid trying to do?

In terms of Hurley's motivations, don't forget he spent some time in an institution, meaning he's not exactly of the soundest mind. Trying to apply logical reasoning to someone like that is just as illogical as their flawed reasoning. He's slightly nutty, leave it at that. Matter of fact, most of the characters on the show have their own level of nuttyness.

DIrishB said:
In terms of Hurley's motivations, don't forget he spent some time in an institution, meaning he's not exactly of the soundest mind. Trying to apply logical reasoning to someone like that is just as illogical as their flawed reasoning. He's slightly nutty, leave it at that. Matter of fact, most of the characters on the show have their own level of nuttyness.

Hurley: May contain traces of nuts.

ProjectX2 said:
Ew.

And anyone who doesn't like Hurley is a blasphemer and a baby-eating Satanist.

FACT.

Here's some cool stuff, guys:

If you love LOST, and you want to surf the web on Thursday (besides lounging around UC, of course), I highly reccomend these three sites below. They all give great blog/summary types of things (w/ humor!) about Wednesday's LOST.

www.ew.com (Under the section called TVWatch)

www.tvguide.com (Under the section called Watercooler, which is great if you watch a lot of television shows)

www.tvgasm.com (I just found out about this one, so I don't know EXACTLY where you'd find it, but I'd guess it's under Television: Lost :wink: )

Enjoy!

ProjectX2 said:

Hurley does not show signs of hysteria at all, though. He's a regular guy who won the lottery. Seriously, his character should not be put in a meaningful position on the show.

Hey, rumor has it Shannon's the next off. How boring would that be? There'd be no point of killing her off.

Goodwill said:
Hurley does not show signs of hysteria at all, though. He's a regular guy who won the lottery. Seriously, his character should not be put in a meaningful position on the show.

Besides his stay in the mental instituion? That may not be due to hysteria per se, but some form of mental problem.

Hey, rumor has it Shannon's the next off. How boring would that be? There'd be no point of killing her off.

Well, since she's boring, maybe the producers/writers realize that and decided to kill her off as opposed to keeping her character around just to bore people. Going off that logic anyway.

DIrishB said:
Besides his stay in the mental instituion? That may not be due to hysteria per se, but some form of mental problem.

Well, since she's boring, maybe the producers/writers realize that and decided to kill her off as opposed to keeping her character around just to bore people. Going off that logic anyway.

Well, a lot of the reason I don't buy this phsyco stuff about Hurley probably because I think his problems with the numbers don't make him insane.

Goodwill said:
Well, a lot of the reason I don't buy this phsyco stuff about Hurley probably because I think his problems with the numbers don't make him insane.
How he acts about it is. :wink:

Goodwill said:

Thats true, but wasn't he in the instituion before he ever learned of the numbers? Remember, he first heard them from the fellow patient who continually muttered them while he was in the nut-house. Therefore, he has mental issues pre-dating the numbers and lotto stuff.

icemastertron said:
How he acts about it is.

That too.

Oh well. ABC has just decided to have tomorrow's ep be the last new one for a while, cuz they now are going to show "Adrift" next Wednesday (Mike/Sawyer/Shark ep) and "Orientation" the Wednesday after that (The one where Locke says "Were gonna hafta watch that again"). :x

I see this as a positive thing, though, for my mom, who is watching Season 1 on DVD, has a few episodes left, which means that she will be able to watch almost all of Season 2 instead of having to read summaries of the first 5 episodes.

That sucks. I get season two sent over.

I hope that tonight's episode gives me something to think about.

The 6 different research projects on the island as explained to us last episode filled in too many gaps for my liking.

Edit: Or rather, that was episode 3, and 4 did little to pick up my excitement. Sadly.

Either everything is going a bit crap or I'm just seeing things as that lately.

Last edited:

I think things will pick up once we start getting more into the season. Right now, we've been given what we think are answers, however, as most of us can guess, there's more to it. This is Lost, for God's sake. It's just a shame that they are going to start showing repeats so soon... I am really getting used to having new episodes on. This summer, I was a wreck.

ultimatedjf said:
Oh well. ABC has just decided to have tomorrow's ep be the last new one for a while, cuz they now are going to show "Adrift" next Wednesday (Mike/Sawyer/Shark ep) and "Orientation" the Wednesday after that (The one where Locke says "Were gonna hafta watch that again"). :x
Wow. That is good news for us in Sweden. We are three weeks behind in episodes :wink:

Ultimate Warrior said:
Wow. That is good news for us in Sweden. We are three weeks behind in episodes :wink:

6 months.

icemastertron said:
How do you know that you wont also get re-runs?
It didn't happen the first time US showed a re-run, and in Swedish TV it is almost a policy that re-runs isn't showed until the season has ended or on a different time than when it was showed first (Summer-season is an exception to this policy :wink: ). They could however put in a different program for some weeks but that almost only happens when there is sport or some charity thing that has to be showed.
I can't be 100% sure of course but the odds speaks to my advantage.

Latest posts

Back