Marvel Cinematic Universe News, Rumors, and Discussion

Oh I misread. I thought you meant three of the series.

I'm too lazy to get a link. Ant-Man finished filming (Payton Reed's Twitter). I hope we get a trailer next month.

Last edited:
Huge potential news:

Looks Like Marvel & Sony Might Have Struck A Deal To Save Spider-Man!

""If Spider-Man appears in Captain America Civil War, Sony will produce 25% of that film. This also means that Marvel will produce 25% of the next solo Spider-Man which is said to be released in July of 2017. This deal will also allow Sony to use only two of Marvel's roster in their films and continue the plot from Civil War to make the universe connect well. It appears that Spidey will join the rest of our beloved pals in Avengers: Infinity War Part 1in 2018, then another solo Spidey film in 2019.

Sony will still have some creative control over certain aspects, such as the suit, the actor (who must have at least a three movie deal), other castings, and the script (Only with parts involving Spidey). Avi Arad, Kevin Feige, and Matt Tolmach are said to produce anything involving Spidey and Drew Goddard has been chosen to be a possible director for the first solo film.

If any Marvel film that involves Spidey is some way misses their release date, Sony will have to pay $100,000,000 and the deal will be kaput. Sony now has three years and nine moths to begin pre-production on Civil War or the FULL rights go back to Marvel."
"

Huge potential news:

Looks Like Marvel & Sony Might Have Struck A Deal To Save Spider-Man!

""If Spider-Man appears in Captain America Civil War, Sony will produce 25% of that film. This also means that Marvel will produce 25% of the next solo Spider-Man which is said to be released in July of 2017. This deal will also allow Sony to use only two of Marvel's roster in their films and continue the plot from Civil War to make the universe connect well. It appears that Spidey will join the rest of our beloved pals in Avengers: Infinity War Part 1in 2018, then another solo Spidey film in 2019.

Sony will still have some creative control over certain aspects, such as the suit, the actor (who must have at least a three movie deal), other castings, and the script (Only with parts involving Spidey). Avi Arad, Kevin Feige, and Matt Tolmach are said to produce anything involving Spidey and Drew Goddard has been chosen to be a possible director for the first solo film.

If any Marvel film that involves Spidey is some way misses their release date, Sony will have to pay $100,000,000 and the deal will be kaput. Sony now has three years and nine moths to begin pre-production on Civil War or the FULL rights go back to Marvel."
"

Ohmanohmanohmanohman.

Sony will still have some creative control over certain aspects, such as the suit, the actor (who must have at least a three movie deal), other castings, and the script (Only with parts involving Spidey). Avi Arad to produce anything involving Spidey.

AWFUL news. Horrible, bad, no good, downright awful news. Get Avi Arad the **** away from Marvel and get Sony the **** away Spider-Man. I'm going to be ****ing livid if this piece of **** is true.

Last edited:
Huge potential news: Looks Like Marvel & Sony Might Have Struck A Deal To Save Spider-Man! "“If Spider-Man appears in Captain America Civil War, Sony will produce 25% of that film. This also means that Marvel will produce 25% of the next solo Spider-Man which is said to be released in July of 2017. This deal will also allow Sony to use only two of Marvel’s roster in their films and continue the plot from Civil War to make the universe connect well. It appears that Spidey will join the rest of our beloved pals in Avengers: Infinity War Part 1in 2018, then another solo Spidey film in 2019. Sony will still have some creative control over certain aspects, such as the suit, the actor (who must have at least a three movie deal), other castings, and the script (Only with parts involving Spidey). Avi Arad, Kevin Feige, and Matt Tolmach are said to produce anything involving Spidey and Drew Goddard has been chosen to be a possible director for the first solo film. If any Marvel film that involves Spidey is some way misses their release date, Sony will have to pay $100,000,000 and the deal will be kaput. Sony now has three years and nine moths to begin pre-production on Civil War or the FULL rights go back to Marvel.”"

That... can't be right, can it? CA-CW is already slotted for May, 2016... If Sony has 3 years and 9 months to start preproduction on CA-CW (presumably August, 2018), does that mean the release date has changed? Because preproduction started in August 2018 would mean the film wouldn't be out for at least another year and a half or more (likely a 2019 date as mentioned in the article, perhaps a late summer date so as not to step on Avengers - IW, Part 2 at all). Am I misunderstanding something? Perhaps instead of Civil War they meant the next solo Spider-a Man film (which would line up well with solo Spidey film mentioned for 2019).

AWFUL news. Horrible, bad, no good, downright awful news. Get Avi Arad the **** away from Marvel and get Sony the **** away Spider-Man. I'm going to be ****ing livid if this piece of **** is true.

Relax.

Avi Arad will likely be treated like a kid with head lice. None of his "creative input" will likely be taken seriously, let alone used. It's well known that Arad isn't liked by Feige and Marvel Comics editorial in general. I may be wrong but I think Arad may own a stake in Spidey's film rights. It may just be that he's such a high up and long time friend and business ally of Ike Perlmutter so his position is secure, though I think it largely morphing into a role as getting a producers credit without having much input. He gets a check, etc.

Arad has had a producing role for literally almost every Marvel television show and film released in the past 20 years, including the X-Men trilogy, the original Spider-Man trilogy, Iron Man and Incredible Hulk for Marvel Studios, the Blade trilogy, the Punisher films, the Daredevil and Elektra films, the even worse Ghost Rider films, etc. He's got his finger in a lot of pies, but hopefully he doesn't have any real creative control anymore.

I just wonder if this means a new, rebooted Spidey as part of the MCU, or are they going to integrate Andrew Garfield's Spidey into the MCU (which would bring up a host of continuity issues, but nothing completely insurmountable)?

EDIT:

Sony asked for approval over the costume, script (but only the parts specifically involving Spider-Man), and casting, with said actor required to sign a three-picture deal or more. The way this part of the document is worded makes it sound very much like a collaboration rather than one studio having more control than the other. They do however point out that Kevin Feige must serve as a producer, and if for some reason he leaves Marvel, they would be allowed to select his replacement. They also want Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach to be given executive producer credits, and state that it would be pre-agreed that Drew Goddard both writes and directs the first movie.

That does seem to imply a reboot/restart for the character, unless they sign Garfield for another three pictures. Not sure if after the disappointing (but expected) response to ASM2 may have made Sony wary of moving forward with Garfield.

Last edited:
Movie news sites have had a field day combing through the leaked Sony e-mails, and according to them, Sony was thinking about recasting Spider-Man regardless of the talks with Marvel. It seems Garfield is hard to work with and cocky (at least according to Sony). He also publicly implied that Sony's meddling was to blame for the failure of ASM2: http://screenrant.com/sony-spider-man-andrew-garfield-fired/

Another thing, according to that Mike Colter link, the Jessica Jones series is called AKA Jessica Jones. Was this already known?

EDIT: Oh, and Steven S. DeKnight (showrunner for Daredevil) says that none of the other Netflix series will premiere in 2015: http://screenrant.com/daredevil-tv-show-easter-eggs-season-2-frank-miller/

Last edited:
That... can't be right, can it? CA-CW is already slotted for May, 2016... If Sony has 3 years and 9 months to start preproduction on CA-CW (presumably August, 2018), does that mean the release date has changed? Because preproduction started in August 2018 would mean the film wouldn't be out for at least another year and a half or more (likely a 2019 date as mentioned in the article, perhaps a late summer date so as not to step on Avengers - IW, Part 2 at all). Am I misunderstanding something? Perhaps instead of Civil War they meant the next solo Spider-a Man film (which would line up well with solo Spidey film mentioned for 2019).

This may sound weird, but I swear I read this article on a site and then a couple days later Comicbookmovie posted it as an exclusive. From there Moviepilot picked it up and then other sites followed. I swear this was an older failed plan.

Sorry, I'm still very dreading what could be an endless stream of crap Sony Spider-Man films.

Another thing, according to that Mike Colter link, the Jessica Jones series is called AKA Jessica Jones. Was this already known?

Sort of. Back when ABC was going to make the show it was called AKA Jessica Jones with Melissa Rosenberg as the head writer. This is the same show.

EDIT: Oh, and Steven S. DeKnight (showrunner for Daredevil) says that none of the other Netflix series will premiere in 2015: http://screenrant.com/daredevil-tv-show-easter-eggs-season-2-frank-miller/

That's an older report. AKA Jessica Jones is now also coming out 2015.

Marvel and Netflix are proud to announce that Mike Colter will star as Luke Cage in "Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones," an all-new 13-episode series premiering on Netflix in 2015 following "Marvel's Daredevil."

Last edited:
The premiere date of the Daredevil series is May 1. Same day as Avengers - Age of Ultron.

Source please? I keep seeing a screen shot from Netflix but when I go on Netflix is says something different.

That screenshot is what I'm talking about. What is it saying on Netflix itself that's different?

The date isn't there at all. Just coming 2015. I literally don't know where that screenshot came from and in the age of photoshop...

The date isn't there at all. Just coming 2015. I literally don't know where that screenshot came from and in the age of photoshop...

Yeah but Stephen DeKnight (one of the showrunners) said in an interview it would premiere in May, 2015. Granted the May 1 date may be just a placeholder or made up by a fan using Photoshop as you said, however there is a certain logic to it.

Think about it. Fans go see Avengers - Age of Ultron on opening day of opening weekend, then come home and decide to check out Daredevil by getting a Netflix subscription. Profit synergy. ;)

I wouldn't put it past Marvel to capitalize on the success of A-AoU to interest fans in checking DD out.

Yeah but Stephen DeKnight (one of the showrunners) said in an interview it would premiere in May, 2015. Granted the May 1 date may be just a placeholder or made up by a fan using Photoshop as you said, however there is a certain logic to it.

Think about it. Fans go see Avengers - Age of Ultron on opening day of opening weekend, then come home and decide to check out Daredevil by getting a Netflix subscription. Profit synergy. ;)

I wouldn't put it past Marvel to capitalize on the success of A-AoU to interest fans in checking DD out.

Oh don't think I have been drooling over the thought. They did release Agents of SHIELD and The Winter Soldier the same day too and, as you said, we've known May 2015 for quite a while. As much as I want I need better proof is all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back