Marvel Cinematic Universe News, Rumors, and Discussion

Really hoping they get Cumby as Doctor Strange to cameo in Defenders, or even have a substantial role if they can talk him into it. But if not, a simple cameo, much like Fury's in the first Iron Man. He appears at the end of the Defenders series and recruits the four heroes.

A Defenders feature film comes later, maybe in 2019 or afterward.

Definitely. And if there is a Defenders film, Hulk needs to be in it.
I'm sure GotG2, Captain Marvel, Inhumans, will all have some elements tying them together besides just the cosmic angle. I have a feeling they'll all serve, to varying degrees, as a prelude of the Infinity War films.

Seriously, knowing they're splitting Infinity War into two films leaves a lot of room to include... well, everybody.

And also, bookending Captain Marvel and the Inhumans with Avengers 3.1 and 3.2 is a really smart move. It makes those two movies more "important" to the story and will probably boost the box office. I wonder how they're going to tie into the story of the two Avengers movies.

The new Avengers team (Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Wanda and Pietro) form in the aftermath of Age of Ultron and the likelihood the team splits and some members perhaps even die. The events of Civil War will undoubtedly impact the new team in some form.

By the time Thanos shows up with the fully loaded Infinity Gauntlet on Earth at the beginning of Avengers - Infinity War, Part 1, the new team will likely be completely outmatched. Hell, the old team would've been. Part 2 will hopefully have the original team (Cap, Tony, Thor--assuming he survives Ragnarok, Hulk, Rhodey, Widow, and Hawkeye), the new team (Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Wanda and Pietro), the Guardians (Starlord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket, and Groot), Inhumans (whichever characters appear in the Inhumans films, well, they'll go here) and a host of other allies (Kree, Inhumans, Asgardians... assuming there are any left after Ragnarok, maybe the Defenders), etc. Then it's a battle royale of superhuman proportions. That is a war I'm looking forward to seeing onscreen.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Tony doesn't give up being Iron Man and Rhodey takes over, like in the comics. And Cap's got to die and let Bucky take up the mantle. Then with Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ant-Man (or maybe Giant-Man?), Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch, we've got ourselves a whole new team.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Tony doesn't give up being Iron Man and Rhodey takes over, like in the comics. And Cap's got to die and let Bucky take up the mantle. Then with Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ant-Man (or maybe Giant-Man?), Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch, we've got ourselves a whole new team.

Yeah, I think there will be a changing of the guard at some point in these films. Not sure at what point. I'm pretty sure they'll have Steven Rogers and Tony Stark in the Infinity Wars films, at the very least. I think Marvel's biggest challenge is going to be if they can keep the interest of the general movie going public (non-comic book fans) after whatever point in which the original actors start to leave. I kind of have my doubts that Avengers movies featuring Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panter and/or Captain Marvel would be able to bring in the numbers that the ones featuring the more A-list characters have. Who knows though.

I've never seen them say a female comic lead movie wouldn't do well or anything. Link? Source?

Wasn't it DC/Warner Bros. that said that? Fairly recently?

Yeah, I think there will be a changing of the guard at some point in these films. Not sure at what point. I'm pretty sure they'll have Steven Rogers and Tony Stark in the Infinity Wars films, at the very least. I think Marvel's biggest challenge is going to be if they can keep the interest of the general movie going public (non-comic book fans) after whatever point in which the original actors start to leave. I kind of have my doubts that Avengers movies featuring Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panter and/or Captain Marvel would be able to bring in the numbers that the ones featuring the more A-list characters have. Who knows though.

I was thinking that too, but then I remembered that 6 years ago, the general public had very little knowledge, if any of who Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America were. They were B-listers as far as popularity goes. Admittedly, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, and Vision are C-listers, but the Guardians were D-listers and now they're killing it in the box-office.

I was thinking that too, but then I remembered that 6 years ago, the general public had very little knowledge, if any of who Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America were. They were B-listers as far as popularity goes. Admittedly, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, and Vision are C-listers, but the Guardians were D-listers and now they're killing it in the box-office.

And while Spider-Man may be a more popular character (or at least was at the time those movies were released), Avengers and Guardians offer incredible storytelling opportunities that Marvel wouldn't have had with Spider-Man and probably never would have been willing or able to take advantage of if they hadn't sold the movie rights.

Which "list" a given character is on doesn't mean much if they take the time and make the effort to make a good story. Look at how good the Avengers, Captain America, or Guardians of the Galaxy movies were compared to basically any of the Spider-Man movies.

(Not to beat a dead horse or get too far off topic, it's just that at the time the Raimi Spider-Man movies cam out would you have ever thought a GotG movie would be bigger and better than those?)

Wasn't it DC/Warner Bros. that said that? Fairly recently?

I already posted the Marvel link. DC said they were open to Wonder woman thats why she was been put in Batman/superman first

I already posted the Marvel link.
Except that it's never stated anywhere that a female lead movie wouldn't work or do well. And in fact, what he says there is really just to throw people off because if he said anything else or in any other way, they'd figure out they had other plans they were working on and weren't ready to talk about.

And while Spider-Man may be a more popular character (or at least was at the time those movies were released), Avengers and Guardians offer incredible storytelling opportunities that Marvel wouldn't have had with Spider-Man and probably never would have been willing or able to take advantage of if they hadn't sold the movie rights.

Which "list" a given character is on doesn't mean much if they take the time and make the effort to make a good story. Look at how good the Avengers, Captain America, or Guardians of the Galaxy movies were compared to basically any of the Spider-Man movies.

(Not to beat a dead horse or get too far off topic, it's just that at the time the Raimi Spider-Man movies cam out would you have ever thought a GotG movie would be bigger and better than those?)

are you disagreeing with me or expanding on what I said? Because I agree with you.

[FANBOYRANT]What frustrates me is that Spider-Man DOES have incredible story-telling opportunities, but they're being wasted by a company that just wants to cash in on the superhero gravy train (to mix my metaphors). Spidey's stories aren't going to ever be as world-shaking or galaxy-spanning as the Avengers or Guardians, and they shouldn't be either of those things. But they can still be amazing stories with fun action. Instead we've gotten some okay stories and some really crappy ones.[/ENDRANT]

Denny's posted this

tumblr_ne8fr5A8D41s46p8ao1_500.jpg

are you disagreeing with me or expanding on what I said? Because I agree with you.

I was more or less going off on a tangent somewhat related to a conversation that took place a few weeks ago about the popularity of the Avengers and Spider-Man.

But it was in agreement with what you said.

I was more or less going off on a tangent somewhat related to a conversation that took place a few weeks ago about the popularity of the Avengers and Spider-Man.

But it was in agreement with what you said.

okay, fair enough.

In other news, this picture needs to be in this thread.

avengers-infinity-war.jpg

So the general consensus is that we've seen everything but the time and soul gems, yeah? In what movies do we think the other gems will be introduced?

I feel like the soul gem should either be introduced in Dr Strange, or maybe in Guardians 2 if and only if Adam Warlock is going to be in it. I would think the time gem would be introduced in Inhumans or Captain Marvel, but both of them take place after the first part of the Infinity War movie. Maybe Thor 3 or Black Panther? I suppose it could just be introduced at the beginning of Infinity War Part 1. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
We know about the Avengers adaptations, but here is some confirmation about upcoming Ant-Man MCU comics.

(From the last question at the bottom of the page):
We'll end the week with macroblaster1999, who has a timely question: "With the Marvel Cinematic Universe getting a big game plan formed in the coming years, are there plans to establish ongoing series set in that universe? Perhaps something that's not a one-shot?"

Alonso: We'll always be working on books set in the Cinematic Universe during the window of the movies. The collected editions of those comics end up being some of the best sellers of the year in the book market. So, we've already got plans for "Avengers" and "Ant-Man" next year.

We know about the Avengers adaptations, but here is some confirmation about upcoming Ant-Man MCU comics. (From the last question at the bottom of the page): We'll end the week with macroblaster1999, who has a timely question: "With the Marvel Cinematic Universe getting a big game plan formed in the coming years, are there plans to establish ongoing series set in that universe? Perhaps something that's not a one-shot?" Alonso: We'll always be working on books set in the Cinematic Universe during the window of the movies. The collected editions of those comics end up being some of the best sellers of the year in the book market. So, we've already got plans for "Avengers" and "Ant-Man" next year.

Cool! Not surprising, but still it's good to know they're working on even Ant-Man MCU spin off comics.

;) You think Warlock's cocoon survived the explosion? I mean, I'm assuming it did, but that's be pretty nuts to get Adam Warlock in the MCU.

Warlock may the the ace in the hole in the final battle with Thanos. I'd guess he may show up in a post credit scene in GotG2.

I think it's amazing that five years ago we would have never even dreamed of having this conversation. Adam Warlock is a movie? We would have never thought that would ever happen. Now we have his cocoon in two and all of Guardians of the Galaxy. This is so damn cool.

Latest posts

Back