Marvel Cinematic Universe News, Rumors, and Discussion

I was referring to horror films where the antagonists didn't speak as reference on making Man-Thing scary and sympathetic (you do start to somewhat pity Michael Myers and Jason the further the series goes). Okay, lemme break it down for you. Man-Thing WOULD be a main character, he'd be fighting some Marvel villain, and the movie would also have human main characters (Stephanie Szostak could return so we could see how she got those scars). HOWEVER Man-Thing would be more like how Godzilla is a main character in his movies. We'd get scenes of him alone interacting with animals and nature to make him sympathetic but from the humans' side he's a monster (people fear what they don't understand). The bad guy's goal could be destroying the swamp or something like that (I'm not getting paid to write this so I'm going the cliche route). The movie would show the humans how they were wrong about Man-Thing and by the end he'd be the hero in their eyes. I threw in some Nolan Batman references to make it easier for you to read :p More realistically though he'd probably be in Agents of SHIELD. ESPECIALLY with Mockingbird joining the cast.

And again, the comparisons to Michael Myers, Jason, and Leatherface make no sense in that comparison. You're essentially just describing a mute Swamp Thing, which is fine. But horror movie icons as references don't work in that context.

Please, I beg you, think about what I'm saying. I'm not saying adapt the stories. I'm saying adapt the concepts and tone. Gerber's run is best known for taking the whole talking Disney animal character idea and making it a sarcastic, mean, and kind of cynical character, teaming up with serious characters to go on wacky adventures, parodying movies and comics, and being fun. How can you NOT make a movie of this? This could be Marvel Studios' Deadpool movie and they wouldn't even have to use Deadpool.

And that's fine. But you're then abandoning the social commentary aspect of Gerber's run in favor of more modern day references and social commentary which pertains to modern day, which is fine.

And again, the comparisons to Michael Myers, Jason, and Leatherface make no sense in that comparison. You're essentially just describing a mute Swamp Thing, which is fine. But horror movie icons as references don't work in that context.

I wouldn't know. I've never read Swamp Thing in my life.

And that's fine. But you're then abandoning the social commentary aspect of Gerber's run in favor of more modern day references and social commentary which pertains to modern day, which is fine.

Which is part of the whole modernizing. It'd still be faithful to Gerber's stuff though.

I wouldn't know. I've never read Swamp Thing in my life.

If you've read a Man-Thing comic, it's basically that with talking.

Which is part of the whole modernizing. It'd still be faithful to Gerber's stuff though.

But it wouldn't be, really. You can't modernize the social commentary which pertained to Gerber's run on the series to modern day problems and have it be the same. I suppose certain elements would be able to be adapted and stay true to the original comics, but not much other than the character's actions and the tone.

If you've read a Man-Thing comic, it's basically that with talking.

I've read the omnibus and the miniseries that Steve Gerber wrote but wasn't released. I just figured it'd be easier to make a movie without him talking. Maybe have him finally talk at the end for an emotional beat or a badass moment sort of like that moment from The Incredible Hulk.

But it wouldn't be, really. You can't modernize the social commentary which pertained to Gerber's run on the series to modern day problems and have it be the same. I suppose certain elements would be able to be adapted and stay true to the original comics, but not much other than the character's actions and the tone.

I'd say GOTG adapted DnA's run even though that story never happened wouldn't you? I suppose I should use quotes when I say "adapt".

I've read the omnibus and the miniseries that Steve Gerber wrote but wasn't released. I just figured it'd be easier to make a movie without him talking. Maybe have him finally talk at the end for an emotional beat or a badass moment sort of like that moment from The Incredible Hulk. I'd say GOTG adapted DnA's run even though that story never happened wouldn't you? I suppose I should use quotes when I say "adapt".

GotG also isn't mainly known for it's social commentary like Howard the Duck is, so again, not really an apt comparison. However, I'm not opposed to a Howard the Duck film, I just don't see a need at the time when there are far more compelling characters for Marvel to bring to life onscreen. When, and if, they reach a point where they feel it's time for a Howard the Duck remake (hopefully without guitar solos), I'm sure they'll do an original story that still draws from the original comics and stays true to the character. I just don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

I finally watched the panels. As disappointing as the lack of news was Marvel still won as far as I'm considered. Especially the Avengers one which was so much fun. Also in a video on IGN (I don't have a link since I downloaded it around SDCC to watch later) Jeph Loeb confirmed that Deathlok's look will be evolving in season two of Agents of SHIELD.

20140410-115157.jpg

I forgot that Agent Carter airs in January so there is DEFINITELY going to be crossover with Age of Ultron and, unfortunately, weeks with no new episodes. Hopefully the second half will be all in one run.

I forgot that Agent Carter airs in January so there is DEFINITELY going to be crossover with Age of Ultron and, unfortunately, weeks with no new episodes. Hopefully the second half will be all in one run.

Yeah, dude, I said exactly that awhile back in one of the threads... though for the life of me I can't find that post. I need to post less so I can find that stuff easier.

So who do you guys hope will be in the Netflix shows? Personally I want Purple Man, Moon Knight, Blade, and Ghost Rider. The backstory for Jessica Jones is just begging to be put into a series and Moon Knight, Blade, and Ghost Rider would be a great setup for them to get their own series since they're all street level heroes as well. I'd also like Bullseye and Owl.

Yeah, dude, I said exactly that awhile back in one of the threads... though for the life of me I can't find that post. I need to post less so I can find that stuff easier.

You were more assuming, I'm confirming :p

So who do you guys hope will be in the Netflix shows? Personally I want Purple Man, Moon Knight, Blade, and Ghost Rider. The backstory for Jessica Jones is just begging to be put into a series and Moon Knight, Blade, and Ghost Rider would be a great setup for them to get their own series since they're all street level heroes as well. I'd also like Bullseye and Owl.

I doubt they'll have enough of a budget to do Ghost Rider's flaming skull effect properly.

You were more assuming, I'm confirming :p

It was obvious based on the fact Agent Carter is acting as a mid season bridge.

I don't know man, $200 million for 60 episodes is a lot of money.

Last edited:
I don't know man, $200 million for 60 episodes is a lot of money.

Not when you break it down.

According to Wikipedia:

In the United States, the average broadcast network drama costs $3 million an episode to produce, while cable dramas cost $2 million on average.

And if we evenly break it down, $200 million evenly spread across 60 episodes (obviously some will cost more, some less, but just to keep things simple) equals just above $3.3 million per episode. Now, the average network drama costs about $3 million, without the extra cost of superhero costumes, more extensive make up for fake injuries, more cost for action (explosions/pyrotechnics, wire work, fight choreography, etc).

Trust me, that $200 million budget for Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and The Defenders likely doesn't have much wiggle room to CGI Ghost Rider's flaming skull look into the series.

It may be a possibility down the road for his own series assuming the Netflix shows do well, which in all probability they will. It's possible GR may get another movie, rebooted in the MCU, but I could see a TV series on Netflix, along with Blade, Man-Thing (maybe), Moon Knight, etc as a sort of Phase 2 of the Netflix shows, leading maybe to a Midnight Sons crossover series.

Latest posts

Back