Marvel Cinematic Universe News, Rumors, and Discussion

Marvel doesn't have the rights back to Spider-Man, they just made a deal where Sony lets them use him. Sony still is in full ownership of the character's film rights and still have final say. That's not to say you're wrong, but just if anyone will make the decision (with of course Marvel's input), it'll be Sony.

I know, but I'm just thinking that given Marvels track record vs Sony's, that Sony would be smart enough to just do what Marvel tells them to do.

Told you.

empire_fox_zpsryyyon4e.jpg

Or not. Sigh.

A couple of really great articles on the Marvel/Sony Spider-Man deal, examining the specifics (especially how much creative control Feige/Marvel will have... it's more than we think), and the fact that Tom Rothman likely won't screw up the plans due to Sony desperately needing this deal to work out (put simply, if Rothman tries his micro managing approach and ruins the next Spidey solo film as a result, and likely the deal with Marvel Studios as an extension of that, the stockholders and board at Sony will likely be calling for his job):

The first one is a long read but very informative and also does a good job of analyzing the facts and making sense of many peoples' knee-jerk reactions (doom and gloom) likely not being accurate:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SauronsBANE1/news/?a=115820

Second one just reiterates a lot of the first article:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=115816

Either way, it amounts to very encouraging news, assuming it's all valid (which it likely is). After all, Feige is no dummy, and I very much doubt he'd sign any deal linking the MCU (a film series he's worked very hard on over the past 10 years) to Sony's Spider-Man if he wouldn't have a great degree of control to ensure the future Spidey films are done right.

So basically, we can all relax... at least until the film comes out in a couple years.

I'm going with this. It will all be okay.

Adding to the Spider-Man rumor train: it's being said that Drew Goddard will write and direct the Spider-Man solo film and that Sony will be scrapping the Sinister Six film.

ScreenRant are saying the movie will be called Spectacular Spider-Man, Goddard will direct,, Iron Man might make an appearance, possibly to (try to) recruit Spidey for Avengers, and the main story will be Sinister Six.

ScreenRant are saying the movie will be called Spectacular Spider-Man, Goddard will direct,, Iron Man might make an appearance, possibly to (try to) recruit Spidey for Avengers, and the main story will be Sinister Six.

I hope all of this is false. It sounds horrible. Sinister Six right off the bat? Ugh.

I hope all of this is false. It sounds horrible. Sinister Six right off the bat? Ugh.

Done right, it could be fine. I always thought a sinister six movie would best be done as a bunch of thugs given upgrades by an organized crime boss (King Pin, Tombstone, etc). They could be throwaway characters that provide for great action without having a lot of compelling story behind them. Meanwhile the crime boss is behind the scenes manipulating everything.

I basically just want the Spectacular Spider-Man tv show to be made into a movie.

Done right, it could be fine. I always thought a sinister six movie would best be done as a bunch of thugs given upgrades by an organized crime boss (King Pin, Tombstone, etc). They could be throwaway characters that provide for great action without having a lot of compelling story behind them. Meanwhile the crime boss is behind the scenes manipulating everything.

I basically just want the Spectacular Spider-Man tv show to be made into a movie.

There's zero buildup though. I always wanted Sinister Six in Spider-Man 7. Introduce everyone one by one then have them teamup.

I need to rewatch that because I thought it was alright when it aired but my rewatch made me hate it. To be fair it was also right after TASM came out and I was very anti-Sony so it probably tainted it. Same thing happened with Young Justice Season One, GLTAS, and Beware the Batman due to the DC reboot. I rewatched all of those last month though and enjoyed them a lot. I find my opinion of the maker influences my opinion of the product.

Last edited:
There's zero buildup though. I always wanted Sinister Six in Spider-Man 7. Introduce everyone one by one then have them teamup.
To be fair, this IS kind of Spider-Man 6. They could just have Electro, Rhino, Lizard, Doc Ock, Venom, and Sandman ;)

(I don't actually want that).

I need to rewatch that because I thought it was alright when it aired but my rewatch made me hate it. To be fair it was also right after TASM came out and I was very anti-Sony so it probably tainted it. Same thing happened with Young Justice Season One, GLTAS, and Beware the Batman due to the DC reboot. I rewatched all of those last month though and enjoyed them a lot. I find my opinion of the maker influences my opinion of the product.
I remember getting into a big argument with you about The Amazing Spider-Man. I still think it was a pretty good movie, but TASM2 just ruined it for me. In my opinion, TASM was well done but needed a really strong sequel to make it really work. But that's not what happened and TASM ends up just looking like a lame attempt as a result.

But yeah, Spectacular Spider-Man is probably my favourite Spider-Man cartoon (it's hard to beat the nostalgia of the 90s Fox Spider-Man cartoon, though). The only thing that was bad about it was the theme song.

To be fair, this IS kind of Spider-Man 6. They could just have Electro, Rhino, Lizard, Doc Ock, Venom, and Sandman ;)

(I don't actually want that).

I remember getting into a big argument with you about The Amazing Spider-Man. I still think it was a pretty good movie, but TASM2 just ruined it for me. In my opinion, TASM was well done but needed a really strong sequel to make it really work. But that's not what happened and TASM ends up just looking like a lame attempt as a result.

But yeah, Spectacular Spider-Man is probably my favourite Spider-Man cartoon (it's hard to beat the nostalgia of the 90s Fox Spider-Man cartoon, though). The only thing that was bad about it was the theme song.

That's not what I meant and you know it! :p

I agree that TASM2 retroactively made it worse just as the new deal retroactively made TASM2 worse because now all that buildup goes nowhere.

Uh excuse you? That theme song was the best part! So catchy

Kraven by himself would be my top choice. But if they wanted to do Sinister Six, I wouldn't have strong opinions against that. I really don't think that everything has to have a ton of buildup, and with the public seeming (a bit) tired of Spider-man, Sinister Six might be a good big way to bring back interest.

Last edited:
Idk if it's because I was drunk or overhyped due to other Prelude but that Scott Lang story was pretty underwhelming. I think it would have worked wonders as a one-shot but it just didn't flow right for me as a comic. Lang driving the car into the pool was pretty dang funny though.

Also I'm kind of warming up to Sinister Six but that's only because it means Marvel Studios can be like "here's how we would have done Spider-Man's main bad guys". Despite the Thor films and Iron Man 2 they do have a pretty good track record.

Last edited:
The big Spider-Man rumor seems to be that he cameos in Civil War.

The big Avengers rumor seems to be that it ends with Cap forming a new Avengers team in the wake of Tony's mistakes.

If those rumors play out, I guess Spidey's appearance would pivot on the Ultimate Universe subplot where Pete (or Miles) is seen by SHIELD as a draft pick, willing or otherwise. I'd expect to see him play a small but vital role in the ideological conflict.

I'm fine with the Sinister Six announcement too. Goddard was signed on for the SS solo project just months ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel Studios was impressed enough by the script or pitch to suggest adapting it as the Spidey reboot.

Last edited:
The first one isn't a rumor. It was already said it would happen.

The second one isn't official, but it's more like unofficially official.

The first one isn't a rumor. It was already said it would happen.

Well technically they confirmed Spidey would appear in a Marvel Studios movie before the solo movie, they didn't specify which movie. Obviously Civil War is the safe bet, but it's not official.

Not much of a story, but though I'd share since it's about a Finnish director.

Jalmari Helander, the Finnish director of Rare Exports and the upcoming Big Game says in an interview with a Finnish tabloid that he's gotten a lot of offers from Hollywood, including several from Disney and Marvel. But he says it's a big risk going to a new environment and directing someone else's script (he's written himself everything he's ever directed), and that he'd have to be absolutely sure that him and the movie would suit each other well.

Sounds like it's not going to happen (at least any time soon), but it's still fun for me to speculate that a director from my home country could some day direct a Marvel movie.

Latest posts

Back