Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Just got back from the IMAX screening. Didn't catch any good timeline clues, but one character says "you must be one of those Inhumans I've read about". I forget when Inhumans started making the news, but it's gotta take place at least a few months after AOS season 2.

I think it's right after the Inhuman outbreak in the AoS season two finale, since I've read a summary online that in the IMAX-screened episodes Black Bolt receives word of the outbreak.

I think it's right after the Inhuman outbreak in the AoS season two finale, since I've read a summary online that in the IMAX-screened episodes Black Bolt receives word of the outbreak.

Yeah, not exactly. Blackbolt has Triton recruiting Nuhumans as an undercover operation. When everyone finds out, then the terrigen spill is brought up. But whether it's been weeks, months, or a couple years was definitely left vague.

Last edited:
Just got back from the IMAX screening. Didn't catch any good timeline clues, but one character says "you must be one of those Inhumans I've read about". I forget when Inhumans started making the news, but it's gotta take place at least a few months after AOS season 2.

Yeah, not exactly. Blackbolt has Triton recruiting Nuhumans as an undercover operation. When everyone finds out, then the terrigen spill is brought up. But whether it's been weeks, months, or a couple years was definitely left vague.

Very cool, thanks for sharing that info! I'll make any necessary adjustments when it airs on ABC with the new scenes in few weeks.

Having not seen the IMAX version (just waiting for the extended versions that'll air on ABC), I can't comment, but I'd wager it's meant to occur in or around the present day. We'll have to wait and see if the other episodes shed any additional light on the matter.

In regards to placement, Buck mentions the Inhumans are aware of Quake/Daisy.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/09/04/marvels-inhumans-spoilers-agents-shield-connections/#4

In case you're wondering, Buck also confirms that the Royal Family will be aware of the very public Inhuman hero/sometimes outlaw, Quake.

Presumably that would mean Inhumans has to occur at least after Quake/Daisy goes public with her abilities (can't remember off top of my head when that was in AoS... Season 3? Season 4 with the interview with Mace?).

Last edited:
She gained notoriety during the 6 month gap at the end of season 3. So definitely sometime around season 4.

Yes, it was his first Avenger's uniform. Since it was heavily damaged during The Battle Of NY, it's really hard to place these PSAs.

According to this article, Thor - Ragnarok occurs around same time as Civil War and Homecoming. Since those occur a few months apart presumably they don't mean the exact same time, just around then:

It's also been confirmed that the movie takes place at the same time as Captain America: Civil War and Spider-Man: Homecoming!

Given Doctor Strange crossing over with Thor - Ragnarok, and the large span of time the Doctor Strange film itself covers (around a year), its impossible for Thor - Ragnarok to occur around same time as Civil War and Homecoming.

Last edited:
Very minor heads-up for consistency: I noticed that the Meachum Special Report comes before the NBA Finals Spots on the Timeline, but after them on the simplified viewing order.

The placement on the simplified order of Defenders/Slingshot/AoS4 looks a bit off as well.

Last edited:
Very minor heads-up for consistency: I noticed that the Meachum Special Report comes before the NBA Finals Spots on the Timeline, but after them on the simplified viewing order.

Thanks. Sometimes I forget to update the simplified version when updating the detailed one.

The placement on the simplified order of Defenders/Slingshot/AoS4 looks a bit off as well.

How so? Keep in mind, the Slingshot webisodes are mostly a flashback with bookend portion. The bookend portion/modern day setting is where I placed the entire web series since its best watched in entirety then. Is that what you meant? If not, let me know. Thanks for catching the other stuff.

Oh see, I was initially thinking Slingshot would belong where the bulk of it takes place. But I agree with you now on placing it by its bookend portions.

The rest of the placement issues actually fall into place given that so never mind on that.

Oh see, I was initially thinking Slingshot would belong where the bulk of it takes place. But I agree with you now on placing it by its bookend portions.

The rest of the placement issues actually fall into place given that so never mind on that.

Yep. Granted this is the complete opposite approach taken with Captain America - The First Avenger on the simplified viewing/reading order, but thats only to provide context for the Agent Carter TV series and One Shot (those are best viewed after events of CA-TFA).

Yep. Granted this is the complete opposite approach taken with Captain America - The First Avenger on the simplified viewing/reading order, but thats only to provide context for the Agent Carter TV series and One Shot (those are best viewed after events of CA-TFA).

I actually try to be as chronologically objective as possible when placing things in a simplified order. Meaning I believe TFA should be watched right before The Avengers by placing it where it's book-ends are. Just my opinion of course, since film is subjective.

I actually try to be as chronologically objective as possible when placing things in a simplified order. Meaning I believe TFA should be watched right before The Avengers by placing it where it's book-ends are. Just my opinion of course, since film is subjective.

Except that deprives the Agent Carter TV series and One Shot of a lot of their context and character motivation/development. But to each their own. I prefer placing TFA first for those reasons.

By my reckoning the first two episodes of Inhumans would bring the MCU up to a full week of material you could sit down and watch (not counting Spiderman Homecoming because it isn't available to watch at home yet)

Latest posts

Back