Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Just saw the new Thor. It doesn't look like there's a thread for it, so I'll post what I thought here. Overall, I liked it quite a bit. The film benefits from being set primarily on Asgard/off Earth. A couple of complaints though: 1) the villains are a bit underdeveloped, and their motivation isn't clear. 2) after some of the more emotional scenes they had odd jokes and bits of levity. It feels strange and takes away from the power of those emotional beats. There's some other small things that bothered me, but overall I like it quite a bit better than the first one. If I had to rank my favorite Marvel Studios films so far it would be: 1) Avengers, 2) Captain America, 3) Iron Man, 4) Thor 2, 5) Iron Man 2, 6) Thor, 7) Iron Man 3, and 8) The Incredible Hulk.

Oh ehm gee. That ranking order is SO wrong.

I don't know. Diversifying their brands seems like a smart move.

In most cases I'd agree, but given the approach to the rest of the universe and the fact it's now a Disney brand, we won't be seeing a House of Cards level of maturity to it. Just being realistic.

Drew Goddard Writing Netflix/Marvel's Daredevil! It's slowly becoming Joss Whedon's House of Ideas

At least he's familiar with the character and a fan. Plus Cabin in the Woods was excellent.

It's not like rankings are based on personal preference or anything.

Yeah, that's true, but IM2 definitely belongs at the bottom of any list, preferences or not. ;)

Yeah yeah. But IM3 was clearly the best solo flick of the bunch.

Or the worst… well, maybe 2nd worst. Iron Man 2 wasn't great either.

I'd rank them:

Avengers
Iron Man
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Incredible Hulk
Thor
Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2

Last edited:
The Incredible Hulk is the worst because it's not even relevant anymore.

I thought it was pretty bad as an Iron Man movie. It was entertaining, but I didn't care for a lot of the decisions they made. I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, so perhaps I'd enjoy to more after a 2nd viewing. I kind of doubt it though. Captain America's still my favorite.

Melissa Rosenberg Still Attached To Jessica Jones SUPER nervous about this. I don't know if she can actually write because all I've seen of hers is the entire Twilight Saga and that had horrendous source material.

Wait...you actually watched Twilight? And not only one...but all of them? Was this part of a frat hazing or something?

Eh, I still like the first IM the most. And while I definitely prefer IM3 over IM2, and enjoyed the Mandarin twist, there is an undeniable Shane Black flavor to it that I'm a bit worn out on.

Or the worst… well, maybe 2nd worst. Iron Man 2 wasn't great either. I'd rank them:

Avengers
Iron Man
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Incredible Hulk
Thor
Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2

I agree with your ranking except I'd place the first Thor just after Thor TDW.

The Incredible Hulk is the worst because it's not even relevant anymore.

Not at all. And why isn't it relevant? Because the Bruce Banner role was recast? It's certainly still relevant in terms of introducing the MCU version of the Hulk, as well as truly being the first movie to expand the MCU as a cohesive story through the Stark cameo at the end and the Stark-tech being used against Hulk in the university fight scene.

Not at all. And why isn't it relevant? Because the Bruce Banner role was recast? It's certainly still relevant in terms of introducing the MCU version of the Hulk, as well as truly being the first movie to expand the MCU as a cohesive story through the Stark cameo at the end and the Stark-tech being used against Hulk in the university fight scene.

Because Bruce Banner was recast, because none of the other characters have shown up and because the Samuel Sterns/Leader set-up was completely ignored/forgotten about.

Iron Man 2 at least has Sam Rockwell.

Y'all's opinions are so wrong. ;)

It goes like this.

Avengers
Iron Man 3
Iron Man
Captain America
Incredible Hulk
Thor
Iron Man 2

Melissa Rosenberg Still Attached To Jessica Jones

SUPER nervous about this. I don't know if she can actually write because all I've seen of hers is the entire Twilight Saga and that had horrendous source material.

Here's the way I look at it: I haven't seen and have no interest in seeing any of the Twilight movies. Whether they are well-written or not is irrelevant because I don't care about sparkly vampire stories. So the fact that she wrote or had anything to do with Twilight is irrelevant because the quality of those movies as far as how well they were written or directed is irrelevant.

That's probably the way most people upset or annoyed or apprehensive about this feel, because even if they have seen Twilight the concept is so dumb they wouldn't be able to objectively grade it anyway. And don't forget that these are adaptations of a book; the story was already written.

Because Bruce Banner was recast, because none of the other characters have shown up and because the Samuel Sterns/Leader set-up was completely ignored/forgotten about.

Fair point, but the Sterns plot was touched on in the spin off comic (think it was Fury's Big Week), so I'd assume they have plans to touch on that at some point...eventually.

Iron Man 2 at least has Sam Rockwell.

That's like saying Gigli wasn't a bad movie because Affleck was in it. Course IM2 wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either.

Eh, I doubt that. I'm sure they'll be set in present day.

Am I the only one who preferred The Incredible Hulk to the rest of the films? Sure it's the black sheep of the franchise now, but it's excellent.

Am I the only one who preferred The Incredible Hulk to the rest of the films? Sure it's the black sheep of the franchise now, but it's excellent.

It's not my favourite, but I definitely don't get the hate. That said, Avengers hulk was much better than TIH Hulk.

Last edited:
I've decided that I want Justin Hartley to play Iron Fist. Yay or nay?

Latest posts

Back