Marvel: Your Universe Thread

Really? I am digging the heck out of it. He's got a great handle on the characters and while the crossover with All-New X-Men dragged it's been firing on full cylinders since Bradshaw joined.

----

Marvel has a big three? And they don't include Wolverine or Spider-Man? (It's kind of funny that they had to spell out who the big three are.)

I guess Cap, Iron Man, and Thor are the 'big three' in terms of being the heroes that the other heroes look to in the continuity of the Marvel Universe. But they aren't the three most popular or well known characters that Marvel puts out.

Anyway, I wonder what's going on with Wonder Woman… I mean Thor?

Re: Thor (Aaron/Dauterman) Spoilers

Thor, Cap, and Iron Man have always been their big three.

Thor, Cap, and Iron Man have always been their big three.

Spider-Man, Wolverine and a random third hot character have always been their big three. Cap and Iron Man were the core avengers, but they're always been tier two until the movies. Thor's still just Thor.

Spider-Man, Wolverine and a random third hot character have always been their big three. Cap and Iron Man were the core avengers, but they're always been tier two until the movies. Thor's still just Thor.

You don't think Thor has been a core Avenger? I'm not a long standing Avengers fan, but I would have thought he was one of the three.

Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man are really Marvel's big three. Wolverine and Spider-Man only seem like they would be actually part of it is just because of their popularity more so than anything else; but Cap, Thor, and Iron Man are it.

Last edited:

You don't think Thor has been a core Avenger? I'm not a long standing Avengers fan, but I would have thought he was one of the three.

Eh. Its not like if he's not there it doesn't feel like the Avengers.

And I stand by them not being a "Big 3" because they're just not that big. Their solo books have never been huge sellers and none of them can maintain more then one solo book a month. Its not about importance to the universe but how powerful the character is, both in resonance with the public and sales. Spider-Man and Wolverine both have massive slaes power and public resonance. I'd argue that Wonder Woman is only part of DCs Big 3 because of public resonance as her sales haven't been great for decades.

Spider-Man is one of their big three and it wasn't that long ago that he dominated all of their general advertising and marketing. But they don't hold his movie rights, and movies make a lot more money than comics, so they're going to push Avengers as being the main or most important characters.

It's baaaaaaaack.

10492072_625303407568127_4877211732070462723_n.jpg

Last edited:
Spider-Man is one of their big three and it wasn't that long ago that he dominated all of their general advertising and marketing. But they don't hold his movie rights, and movies make a lot more money than comics, so they're going to push Avengers as being the main or most important characters.

this.

If we're talking about Marvel's biggest sellers through the years, it's clearly not those three guys. From nearly the start, Spider-Man has been the face of the company, and for decades, Wolverine and the X-Men were their biggest faces. I don't think it's any coincidence that those are the characters who consistently had staying power on TV for decades, and who launched the superhero movie boom.

But in terms of the Avengers as a franchise, I don't think there's any doubt that Thor/Iron Man/Cap are the three guys who represent the team, and they always have been. Considering Loki was the villain of the first story, it's a bit ludicrous to say Thor's not part of that trifecta. They're the three Avengers who are consistently on the team and who consistently have their own ongoing books. Regardless of sales on their ongoing books (and let's be honest, sales haven't been that bad, given these guys have been almost constantly in publication for decades), that's the mythology that Marvel has pushed for, and it strikes me as a relatively smart move.

Not only do they match up to a similar dynamic that DC has with their triumvirate (street level, futurist, mythic hero), but their personalities contrast pretty exceptionally.

Last edited:
All-New Avengers!

avengers-now_1000x791.jpg

hashtag: get hyped

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back