Marvel Zombies series discussion (spoilers)

If there was no plot, I don't think it would bother me.

UltimateE said:
If there was no plot, I don't think it would bother me.

Has there ever been a project involving zombies which was heavy on plot? I'm gonna have to say no. Even the classic NoTLD wasn't much in terms of plot. Symbolism and message, absolutely, but plot...no. Matter of fact, Kirkman's "The Walking Dead" probably has the most plot I've ever seen in a zombie story, hence me liking it so much whereas I have really no interest in other zombie books/movies/etc.

Anyway, I still haven't made it to my shop to pick up this issue, but I do look forward to it (but not as much as getting my hands on U2 #9).

DIrishB said:
Has there ever been a project involving zombies which was heavy on plot? I'm gonna have to say no. Even the classic NoTLD wasn't much in terms of plot. Symbolism and message, absolutely, but plot...no. Matter of fact, Kirkman's "The Walking Dead" probably has the most plot I've ever seen in a zombie story, hence me liking it so much whereas I have really no interest in other zombie books/movies/etc.

Anyway, I still haven't made it to my shop to pick up this issue, but I do look forward to it (but not as much as getting my hands on U2 #9).

By the time you get there, Ultimates 2 #10 will be out.

I love how we tell the time by the lateness of the Ultimates.

compound said:
28 Days Later!
What he said.

And if you ask me there's tons of Zombie movies overly heavy on plot. Sometimes all a zombie movie is people stuck somewhere dealing with interacting and symbolism and then at the end the Zombies break through. So yeah there's plenty of plot sometimes too much for a story that's supposed to deal with Hell on Earth and chaos.

compound said:
28 Days Later!

TheManWithoutFear said:
What he said.

And if you ask me there's tons of Zombie movies overly heavy on plot. Sometimes all a zombie movie is people stuck somewhere dealing with interacting and symbolism and then at the end the Zombies break through. So yeah there's plenty of plot sometimes too much for a story that's supposed to deal with Hell on Earth and chaos.

While it probably had much more in terms of plot than most zombie movies, it still wasn't heavy on it.

DIrishB said:
My money is on the Power Cosmic Zombies.

I read before that Kirkman says that it would be possible that there will be a follow-up to this mini-series, although it will still be self-contained. The zombies will probably win in the end. You can't have Marvel Zombies 2 without a zombified Earth.

cmdrjanjalani said:
I read before that Kirkman says that it would be possible that there will be a follow-up to this mini-series, although it will still be self-contained. The zombies will probably win in the end. You can't have Marvel Zombies 2 without a zombified Earth.
Not necessarily. They could loose, but one zombie is missed, and survives for the sequel.

icemastertron said:
Not necessarily. They could loose, but one zombie is missed, and survives for the sequel.

Yeah, so I just said probably. Anyway, the cover for #4 is awesome. Absolutely creepy, especially the two halves of Marvel Girl. I've never seen the covers for 2 and 3, does anyone have links to them?

zombie movies shouldn't have plots. they're about the primal need to survive, to give it a plot would be to say the gazelle's life needs a plot. it just runs away from cheetahs!

that being said, that art doesn't mean zombie gambit bites it. he's a friggin zombie!

Since we're talking zombies...anyone here seen "Shaun of the Dead"? I love the dry British humor and that movie is just hilarious!

Okay, back to this book. If I'm looking for an entertaining read but one that could keep me interested in what's going on...would this be it? Or should I go all out and get "The Walking Dead" tpbs instead?
I've decided to get a lot more indie and I was thinking of starting with: The Walking Dead, Invincible, Ex Machina and Y: The Last Man.

Is it a good idea to get Marvel Zombies first so I can test out Kirkman's penchant for zombie characterization...or should I just jump straight into The Walking Dead books?

Nas-T! said:
Since we're talking zombies...anyone here seen "Shaun of the Dead"? I love the dry British humor and that movie is just hilarious!

Okay, back to this book. If I'm looking for an entertaining read but one that could keep me interested in what's going on...would this be it? Or should I go all out and get "The Walking Dead" tpbs instead?
I've decided to get a lot more indie and I was thinking of starting with: The Walking Dead, Invincible, Ex Machina and Y: The Last Man.

Is it a good idea to get Marvel Zombies first so I can test out Kirkman's penchant for zombie characterization...or should I just jump straight into The Walking Dead books?

I love Shaun of the Dead.

You should get all of those books. I like them all, thought Y The Last Man is probably my favourite of them. Start collecting them in trades.

Well there are some ppl left in the asteroid M so, even if all zombies died, they could do a story about them. Maybe a zombie got in the asteroid or something...

Nas-T! said:

I finally rented it last week. I really enjoyed it, especially Shaun's stoner roommate and best friend (who's name I can't recall for the life of me...Will? Wanker? Something like that...maybe it was Ted). Good stuff for sure.

I'd say The Walking Dead if you're looking for something with a bit more substance, this if you're merely reading it for what it is and willing to have a good time only. Thats really all it is and all it claims to be, a bit of fun with existing Marvel characters.

I'd say get The Walking Dead first, as its the more classic take on zombies. Its not what Kirkman does with the zombies in The Walking Dead that makes it interesting, as its really just your classic shambling, groaning, brainless zombie type fare. Its what he does with the survivors and their reactions to the situation which makes it interesting. I'd get Marvel Zombies second because these are a really different take on zombies: Super-heroes turned zombies who can still talk and interact with each other, and still retain at least a modicum of the personalities they had as humans (er, super-powered beings that is...or mutants).

So I need to ask someone a huge favor here on the site. I finally made it to my local shop this week after forgetting to pick up Marvel Zombies #1 last week and the week before, and they were all out of them. I was wondering if it would be possible for a member here on the site to pick up a copy for me, and mail it to me. I only ask because I don't want to have to pay some stranger through Ebay (and get raped on shipping charges) to do something I'd rather pay someone I sort of know (through the site at least) and actually like (well, most of you ;) ). If not its cool, I can resort to Ebay, but wanted to check here first. I'll send you the money to cover the book, the postage, and your time, gas, effort, etc, you just name the price and I'll either Paypal or mail a money order to you. PM me if you're cool and willing to do this, hehe. I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back