Mass Effect 2

team trophies?

yeah, there's a series of Ally achievements (Asari, Krogan, Soldier, Sentinel, Quarian, and Turian), they need you to play the majority of the game with a certain character in your party. The DLC adds more time for you to do said "quality time".

One last trailer, just to get you excited.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/launch-trailer-mass-effect/61042

Ugh, what a terrible way for Shepard to go...

Nice music.

I gotta say, some of these trailers give me goosebumps.

Last edited:
I gotta say, some of these trailers give me goosebumps.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

I have got to play the first game. I watched the cutscenes for the story, (which was quite good,) but now I want to get in on the action. It looks so much fun!

Ok, I know I told myself that I would stop posting stuff here, but Mordin is just to much win.

[video=youtube;mAP92rvm1hQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAP92rvm1hQ[/video]

[video=youtube;J-HgVM6JSIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-HgVM6JSIY&feature=related[/video]

To clarify what Mordin's talking about in the first video...the seven new characters availible for romance are Jacob, Thane, Garrus, Miranda, Subject Zero, Kelly Chambers (a NPC), and Tali. Sorry, Skotti, I don't know which ones are gay or bi.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

I have got to play the first game. I watched the cutscenes for the story, (which was quite good,) but now I want to get in on the action. It looks so much fun!

Man, Mass Effect was fun but this looks soooo much prettier.

Ok, I know I told myself that I would stop posting stuff here, but Mordin is just to much win.

[video=youtube;mAP92rvm1hQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAP92rvm1hQ[/video]

[video=youtube;J-HgVM6JSIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-HgVM6JSIY&feature=related[/video]

To clarify what Mordin's talking about in the first video...the seven new characters availible for romance are Jacob, Thane, Garrus, Miranda, Subject Zero, Kelly Chambers (a NPC), and Tali. Sorry, Skotti, I don't know which ones are gay or bi.

The weird thing, when reading some stuff with the BioWare guys, it almost sounds like everyone is set to neutral when it comes to sexual orientation, so anyone can be brought into any relationships. They also said there's "A lot more" than one sex scene in ME2.

Sooooo..

I beat it. 27 hours.

Really disappointed with relationship options for fem!Shep;

Liara is too busy hunting the Shadow Broker
Morilith will kill Shepard
Kelly Chambers would cause me to create a very negative result for ME3 as I'd be cheating on Liara

Sadly, I lost
Thane
and
Jack
in the final battle.

Last edited:
Ugh.... Trying to avoid spoilers.... I originally quoted your spoiler-heavy message and then just barely dodged reading it when I realized the "Spoiler" part of it shows up in the reply box. I'm an idiot. Let me guess, though. You wanted to help breed the krogan back to life? Rargh!

Once you finish the recruiting missions, how much mission gameplay is left, Skotti?

Last edited:
Ugh.... Trying to avoid spoilers.... I originally quoted your spoiler-heavy message and then just barely dodged reading it when I realized the "Spoiler" part of it shows up in the reply box. I'm an idiot. Let me guess, though. You wanted to help breed the krogan back to life? Rargh!

Once you finish the recruiting missions, how much mission gameplay is left, Skotti?

Quite a friggen bit, you can discover new missions when you're probing planets.

(There's an Easter Egg if you scan Uranus in the Local Cluster)

So, I beat the game last night. It's very satisfying, but a lot of that enjoyment came from the consequences of the first game, so I'd be curious to see how someone new to the franchise felt about it. I think they handled the characters from the first game expertly. The planet scanning is kind of stupid, but most everything else was a well-polished improvement on the first game. I was a little disappointed by how some of the end game choices were handled, primarily the fact that
Who survives seems to be dependent on just buying the right equipment before the final battle.
The final fight was a letdown too. The design of the boss was cool, but it was over too soon. Something like that should have involved more phases, and at that point in the game, all my crew were able to easily rip through the spawning enemies while I made quick work of the boss.

All my crew survived except Chambers.

Sooooo..

I beat it. 27 hours.

Really disappointed with relationship options for fem!Shep;

Liara is too busy hunting the Shadow Broker
Morilith will kill Shepard
Kelly Chambers would cause me to create a very negative result for ME3 as I'd be cheating on Liara

Sadly, I lost
Thane
and
Jack
in the final battle.

Eh? This sounds like more of a problem with the relationship system in general. Whoever you match with
it wil be cheating on Liara
right? I don't get how
Chambers
would be worse than anyone else in that respect. No
Jack or Talia
pairing opportunities? That surprises me.

Last edited:
I'm playing through this now, but before going through the Omega 4 relay to take on the collectors, I want to make sure I have upgraded my stuff as much as possible, to preserve my crew as much as possible through the final mission. In terms of the upgrades, what is required? All the weapons/armor/ship upgrades/prototypes, or just certain ones, etc? I've gotten the vast majority, but I know there are at least some I missed. I'll probably spend the next few days scanning planets for additional missions, equipment, etc, but any tips on where I should look?

I'm playing through this now, but before going through the Omega 4 relay to take on the collectors, I want to make sure I have upgraded my stuff as much as possible, to preserve my crew as much as possible through the final mission. In terms of the upgrades, what is required? All the weapons/armor/ship upgrades/prototypes, or just certain ones, etc? I've gotten the vast majority, but I know there are at least some I missed. I'll probably spend the next few days scanning planets for additional missions, equipment, etc, but any tips on where I should look?

Side missions shouldn't be necessary. I think you need all the ship upgrades except the ore increase and the fuel boost. So that should be boosted shields, armor, and cannon. Once you finish the last mission, as long as you survive, you can go back and finish up any side missions you haven't completed.

Also, if you waste time between the time your crew gets captured and leaving for the Omega-4 relay, that has consequences on the missing crew.

Also, if you want to save everyone, I reccomend putting off the
Derelect reaper
mission for as long as possible. It gives you times to get upgrades and loyalties, and ffter that, you should have enough time for
Legion's
loyalty mission before your crew gets captured.

Also,
Mordin
has this weird habit of dying randomly, no matter what you do. Be very careful with him.

Last edited:
Side missions shouldn't be necessary. I think you need all the ship upgrades except the ore increase and the fuel boost. So that should be boosted shields, armor, and cannon. Once you finish the last mission, as long as you survive, you can go back and finish up any side missions you haven't completed.

Also, if you waste time between the time your crew gets captured and leaving for the Omega-4 relay, that has consequences on the missing crew.

Also, if you want to save everyone, I reccomend putting off the
Derelect reaper
mission for as long as possible. It gives you times to get upgrades and loyalties, and ffter that, you should have enough time for
Legion's
loyalty mission before your crew gets captured.

Also,
Mordin
has this weird habit of dying randomly, no matter what you do. Be very careful with him.

Yeah, I beat it last night. My ship was fully upgraded so everyone made it through to the final fight at the end, but Mordin did end up dying for no apparent reason. Everyone else survived. I had upgraded all necessary upgrades, and completed all Loyalty missions, so I guess Mordin's survival is either tied to something we're unaware of, or its just totally random. I also made the mistake of doing an extra mission before entering the Omega 4 relay, so was only able to save half the crew. Luckily, I saved a different file right before the IFF tag mission, so hopefully I can play it again and get the best ending. I also preserved the Geth and the Collector station, the idea being that in ME3 I'll need all the help I can get versus the reapers, including re-written Geth and Reaper-derived tech.

Definitely preferred ME2 to the first, but I loved both games. Absolutely going to play through ME1 and ME2 again, ideally to get the best possible outcome for ME3.

Yeah, I beat it last night. My ship was fully upgraded so everyone made it through to the final fight at the end, but Mordin did end up dying for no apparent reason. Everyone else survived. I had upgraded all necessary upgrades, and completed all Loyalty missions, so I guess Mordin's survival is either tied to something we're unaware of, or its just totally random. I also made the mistake of doing an extra mission before entering the Omega 4 relay, so was only able to save half the crew. Luckily, I saved a different file right before the IFF tag mission, so hopefully I can play it again and get the best ending. I also preserved the Geth and the Collector station, the idea being that in ME3 I'll need all the help I can get versus the reapers, including re-written Geth and Reaper-derived tech.

Definitely preferred ME2 to the first, but I loved both games. Absolutely going to play through ME1 and ME2 again, ideally to get the best possible outcome for ME3.

That's my plan. I had a half-finished file from ME1 before I bought the second. The character I played ME1 with the first time was a maverick loose cannon who's kind of a dick but is loyal to his crew and has a soft spot for aliens. The game I haven't finished I'm doing a xenophobic infiltrator who's a total dick. And if I don't get bored before ME3 comes out, I'll probably eventually play a female good guy. But going back and playing ME after playing the sequel, all the flaws in the gameplay are that more obvious.

I did think, with ME2, the fact that you pretty much just buy your way to a happy ending is kind of a cheap way to do things.

I did think, with ME2, the fact that you pretty much just buy your way to a happy ending is kind of a cheap way to do things.

I disagree, mainly because thats only a part of it. You still need to do the Loyalty missions for your crew members to help them survive, you still have to find the power-ups throughout the game levels (those that aren't available in stores, which most aren't), and you have to do the final mission immediately to save the entire crew. So the whole money/buying upgrades thing I didn't have a problem with, considering those other factors weigh just as heavily.

Also, on my save file from right before the IFF Tag mission, I went back and started exploring all the systems I hadn't scanned yet, completing most of the side/scan missions--with the exception of the downloadable content stuff, which I plan on getting in the next week or so--to see if that will affect Mordin's surviving the final mission or not. Also want to complete it immediately after the IFF mission to save 100% of the crew.

I disagree, mainly because thats only a part of it. You still need to do the Loyalty missions for your crew members to help them survive, you still have to find the power-ups throughout the game levels (those that aren't available in stores, which most aren't), and you have to do the final mission immediately to save the entire crew. So the whole money/buying upgrades thing I didn't have a problem with, considering those other factors weigh just as heavily.

Do the loyalty missions play into who survives? Hm... That makes sense.

I guess my point is this. One of the main appeals, to me, of Mass Effect is that you have to make hard choices to determine the outcome of the game. And determining who survives the final mission seems to have less to do with making moral choices rather than filling out a checklist. Buy the ship upgrades, finish the loyalty missions, pick the right characters for the final sub-missions. That said, I've just kind of assumed that finishing the loyalty missions automatically gives your characters loyalty. But it's possible that's not the case. I did everything to appease my characters in their loyalty missions. For Zaeed in particular, that meant making a very reprehensible choice. Once I get a chance to replay the game, I'll make some different choices and see if that's still the case. But if it just comes down to ticking off check boxes, then that will be a little underwhelming.

The other thing that kind of disappointed me was the system for acquiring new weapons. There wasn't a whole lot of range for weapons upgrades (by which, I mean different weapons rather than the +20% damage researches and such) and the ones that were there were clearly and obviously better than the weapons that preceded them. I would have liked to have seen, for instance, a wider variety of machine pistols where different models have advantages and disadvantages rather than just getting a new gun and never using the older one again. That said, it's a far cry better from the equipment system of ME1.

All in all, they're relatively minor gripes. I was impressed that even as deep as the
Legion
loyalty mission there were huge decisions that will have major repercussions in ME3. I just wish they'd had a bigger impact on the ME2 end game. I am rather excited for ME 3. :D I look forward to recruiting all the various races to finally destroy the Reapers, and it looks like we're finally going to get to visit
Earth

DIrishB said:
Also, on my save file from right before the IFF Tag mission, I went back and started exploring all the systems I hadn't scanned yet, completing most of the side/scan missions--with the exception of the downloadable content stuff, which I plan on getting in the next week or so--to see if that will affect Mordin's surviving the final mission or not. Also want to complete it immediately after the IFF mission to save 100% of the crew.

;) I already went back and saved Chambers after getting her killed the first time. But now my 360 is broken and I'm going to have to dismantle the whole thing to fix it.... Again....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back