Miller/Hitch on Superman

Friday

So in this months Wizard theres an interview with Miller and Hitch where they say that they want to do Superman. Now I know that Miller was involved in the "Superman 2000" project from a few years ago, and from the sounds of it he wants to try that again, a near complete reboot with the basic elements of the characters history retained. What do you guys think of this?

And please, no "Superman sucks/DC sucks/why do you read this?" posts. This is an intellegent discussion on the matter.

I'll chime in on my thoughts in a bit.

Baxter said:
So in this months Wizard theres an interview with Miller and Hitch where they say that they want to do Superman. Now I know that Miller was involved in the "Superman 2000" project from a few years ago, and from the sounds of it he wants to try that again, a near complete reboot with the basic elements of the characters history retained. What do you guys think of this?

And please, no "Superman sucks/DC sucks/why do you read this?" posts. This is an intellegent discussion on the matter.

I'll chime in on my thoughts in a bit.
I know it sucks that I'm going to be the first to contribute a senseless reply, but I'm still formulating my thoughts on the subject:

Let me just say, John Byrne is going to be pissed.

ourchair said:
I know it sucks that I'm going to be the first to contribute a senseless reply, but I'm still formulating my thoughts on the subject:

Let me just say, John Byrne is going to be pissed.
You know,I hadn't even thought of that. All the more reason to do it :D

Nurhachi said:
Millar and Hitch are leaving The Ultimates for THIS????

:cry:
Well, first off they're not leaving The Ultimtes. They talk about how they set up several possible mini-series in Ultiamtes 2 that they'd rather pursue than doing an Ultimates 3. Second, them doing Superman is a dream on thier part. As far as I know DC hasn't done anything to bring them on. They just say that they want to have done it before the decade is out.

Nurhachi said:
Millar and Hitch are leaving The Ultimates for THIS????

:cry:
That's what I'm thinking too: Ultimates is too stupendous to be left for Superman, but again non gustibus non disputandem --- Millar has always been on the record for being a big Superman fan so it's unsurprising that he'd jump on that book on any given chance.

Okay. Once again. This is not happening. Miller and Hitch are not jumping ship to DC to write and draw Superman. They are not abandoning the Ultimate Universe. They just made some comments in the latest wizard about how its a project that both have wanted to do for quite some time now, and I was hoping we could discuss what kind of impact that could have. What a Miller/Hitch superman title could bring to comics in general, and what it would idealy have.

Whats that your saying Superman?

Yeah i know your universe sucks.

What? No, sorry i dont think you can move to Marvel, your just not good enough.

Yes, I know they have the Spot, whats your point?

Why are you glaring at me like that?

Are your eyes glowing?

Sorry Bax, I'll stop now :p

Nurhachi said:
Whats that your saying Superman?

Yeah i know your universe sucks.

What? No, sorry i dont think you can move to Marvel, your just not good enough.

Yes, I know they have the Spot, whats your point?

Why are you glaring at me like that?

Are your eyes glowing?

Sorry Bax, I'll stop now :p

.... I think I'm just going to leave now. Maybe there will be something productive in here later.

Baxter said:
Okay. Once again. This is not happening. Miller and Hitch are not jumping ship to DC to write and draw Superman. They are not abandoning the Ultimate Universe. They just made some comments in the latest wizard about how its a project that both have wanted to do for quite some time now, and I was hoping we could discuss what kind of impact that could have. What a Miller/Hitch superman title could bring to comics in general, and what it would idealy have.
Oh, I didn't mean to say that Millar "jumped ship" for DC at all. I said that he "jumped" for Superman at the first given opportunity is unsurprising/

And since I don't really pay attention to DC or whatever scheduled commitments comic talent have with them, I assumed that since Millar has probably written most of Ultimates 2 by now, with touch ups being his only monthly responsibilities for that title, working on Superman and his other work with Marvel (as well as his plans for other comics) will preclude any future planning for a possible third season for The Ultimates.

I think it'd be a great idea.If DC plays its cards right,they just got Morrison and Quitely's successor handed to them on a plate.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut-as much as i'd love to see this,does Millar not have a problem with DC dating back to The Authority?

I don't care anything for Superman. His not as iconic to me as he is to others. I read the Death of Superman all the way through, and liked even though I hated that he came back. I do not collect Superman books or read them.

BUT...

I read comments made a awhile ago by Millar and the passion he has for "correcting" Superman alone would cause me to pick up anything he did. He said he has been planning a Superman run since he was 12 that would make Superman what he SHOULD be, and that no one has written him correctly for many years, and even though I don't completely understand what that means, I understand enough to know that it needs to be done and I think he would be awesome at it.

Plainly said, Millar on Superman would make me not only pick it up, but do so enthusiasticly. Having Hitch drawing is sweet icing on the cake.

I love Superman. He's Superman, after all. And while I loved Kingdom Come, Azzarello's "For Tomorrow", and Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", I have to say that my favourite Superman books were written by Millar.

"Red Son" is a timeless piece, that transcends the gimmick of Russki Superman into a passionate tale about just what exactly lies on the road to hell.

But to me, it doesn't compare to Millar's Superman Adventures. Not because their ground-breaking, decompressed arcs spanning years (because they're not), but because in 22-pages, Millar could tell a wonderful, fantastic and emotionally engaging story. "How Much Can One Man Hate?" is a beautiful tale of Lex Luthor's sheer relentlessness to utterly destroy Superman. "This Looks Like A Job For Superman" is an issue in which Superman says nothing while saving the world all night long, and still finding time to answer a little boy's prayers to find his lost dog. The "22 Short Stories in a Single Bound" issue had a new mini-story every page, with the issue filled with running gags. There's even one issue where a jock who used to bully Clark Kent goes to Metropolis to prove Clark is Superman because he can't believe that everyone else falls for the glasses. He made Braniac terrifyingly cold. Bizarro surprisingly charismatic. Lex Luthor became a hate-filled monster, and for me, changed the word "Gotcha" for all time.

And, hey, he even put Darkseid in the same issue as old switcheroo gimmick with Jimmy and Superman.

So enjoyable are these issues, they read exactly as Superman should be. Full of life, full of wonder and of excitement.

I almost find it hard to pick between The Ultimates and his Superman works, though I would go with the former. While wildly different, they are amazing reads. Indeed, the only character Millar has demonstrated (repeatedly and consistently) that he has "down" so completely as he does the main cast of the Ultimates, is Superman - and if Milllar and Hitch were to leave the Ultimates for Superman, then I cannot think of a better place for them to go.

UltimateE said:
I read comments made a awhile ago by Millar and the passion he has for "correcting" Superman alone would cause me to pick up anything he did. He said he has been planning a Superman run since he was 12 that would make Superman what he SHOULD be, and that no one has written him correctly for many years, and even though I don't completely understand what that means, I understand enough to know that it needs to be done and I think he would be awesome at it.

Plainly said, Millar on Superman would make me not only pick it up, but do so enthusiasticly. Having Hitch drawing is sweet icing on the cake.
I'm with you on this one. I'd pick up Millar/Hitch's Superman not just out of some fannish devotion to the team, but also because I've read enough of his work to know that when he says an idea stems out of a fixation he's had from since when he was a child, he actually means something substantial rather than something completely puerile.

(Granted, he's used the same "I came up with this idea when I was 8" statement with Wanted, but hey that's the exception that proves the rule. :D)

My opinion?

(well, okay, no-one asked for it specifically, but still, here it is:)

If Millar and Hitch go and write Superman, I'll read it.

Millar is probably my favorite writer right now, and Hitch my favorte artist.
And even though I should probably be ashamed for it, I love reading about the big, iconic characters. And you don't get bigger or more iconic than Superman.

Still, I'd prefer Millar on All-Stars Superman, or whatever they call the Ultimate Superman, and preferably on Ultimate Batman and Ultimate Wonderwoman too. Imagine that, Millar revamping the real big DC characters without any concern for background continuity, because it's a new ontake on the characters Ultimate-style. How great would that be?

Or even better yet, imagine Millar on Superman and Ellis on Batman & Green Lantern, all three of them ultimate-style. Awesome!

Last edited:
Thank you for taking this seriously. I think that a Miller written Superman would be fantastic. Now I haven't picked up a core superman title in years, even though the writers on it are some of my curent favorites (Except for Azzarello. I can't stand his non-Vertigo work. Always seems like the story doesn't fit the character.) I think that Miller would breath a new like into the Man of Steel. He's shown to be remarkably adept at reinviosioning characters without discarding the work thats come before him.

And I don't think he should be the next writer on All Star Superman. I want him writing the real book, not a toned down line where what he does has no long term effects.

Baxter said:
Thank you for taking this seriously. I think that a Miller written Superman would be fantastic. Now I haven't picked up a core superman title in years, even though the writers on it are some of my curent favorites (Except for Azzarello. I can't stand his non-Vertigo work. Always seems like the story doesn't fit the character.) I think that Miller would breath a new like into the Man of Steel. He's shown to be remarkably adept at reinviosioning characters without discarding the work thats come before him.

And I don't think he should be the next writer on All Star Superman. I want him writing the real book, not a toned down line where what he does has no long term effects.

Repeat after me: MillAr. :wink:

I think Millar & Hitch would be good on "Action Comics" because that is exactly what Millar writes. I used to hate Superman. I always thought he was to powerful, but after reading him in "Superman/Batman", "Superman - For Tomorrow', & Chuck Austin's "Action Comics". I really like him now. I like how they show him as god among insects and how he as friends but yet he still feels alone.

(Spoilers for the For Tomorrow Arc)

I really liked how he got involved in the middle east and everybody thought he was on the otherside and everybody started shooting and Superman couldn't stop all the bullets. "Sometimes being faster than a speeding bullet isn't fast enough". If you had the powers to stop war, would you?

P.S. Superman could kick the Sentry booty all over the place. :D

Latest posts

Back