Miracleman (Marvel)

Re: Marvel to Publish Miracleman!

That's what taking risks is all about.

And if it "just happens" with Miracleman at least they took the risk.

I'm glad you're willing to "take risks" with a property that someone else paid a million dollars for (not to mention the probable millions that went into the research needed to see if it was a viable property and then to secure the property and get everything lined up, plus the unknown amount for the original artwork, etc.).

I'm glad you're willing to "take risks" with a property that someone else paid a million dollars for (not to mention the probable millions that went into the research needed to see if it was a viable property and then to secure the property and get everything lined up, plus the unknown amount for the original artwork, etc.).

That's a good point.

Wait, they only paid a million for the rights?

That's a good point.

Wait, they only paid a million for the rights?

That's what one of the articles read from the series you linked to a few posts back.

Keep in mind that's just the rights. That didn't include the art or the rights to some of the characters (Big Ben, Warpsmiths).

That's what one of the articles read from the series you linked to a few posts back. Keep in mind that's just the rights. That didn't include the art or the rights to some of the characters (Big Ben, Warpsmiths).

Ah, ok. Given all the other costs and profit sharing with the original artists/creators, I'm sure it was quite expensive overall.

I don't know if it's like this for anyone else, but the first few issues of Olympus (issues 11-13) always kind of get forgotten because of the strength of issues 14-16 and the weird things that happen in them which flow differently from the rest of the story, but the re-release of these books and reading them on a monthly basis like this really help me to slow down and enjoy the prose and the story within.

#13 is out today and it's one of those issues. I had actually forgotten some of the minutia of the story such as how Avril gets the Qys and Warpsmiths to reconcile, and the details of the visit with the kingqueen. There are some really awesome concepts in this issue and at least in my mind they get forgotten due to what comes about beginning in #14.

On a side note, I bought a few more variants this morning. I finally got the Yu #1 variant as well as the Maleev variant and a couple others.

I REALLY want the #12 Hughes variant but it's basically impossible to find and it's going for a pretty penny.

I've not really been enjoying this arc. I haven't read the new issue, but it's starting to lose me the more Miracleman becomes Hyperion (I know MM came first, just using the example of a similar character).

I've not really been enjoying this arc. I haven't read the new issue, but it's starting to lose me the more Miracleman becomes Hyperion (I know MM came first, just using the example of a similar character).

Interesting.

This arc is generally considered one of the greatest comic stories ever written.

it's weird to see someone reading it as it unfolds now without knowing what happens in the next 3 issues.

They are major. Keep reading.

Indeed. Once all 24 issues have been republished go back and read it as a whole. Take your time, though. Moore's run was fantastic. Gaiman's run was equally brilliant, and knowing we finally get to see him finish his tale is something now over 20 years in the making (not to mention we finally get to see Grant Morrison story released (with art by Quesada) in the Miracleman Annual out next month.

I just enjoyed JMS's Squadron stuff so much more than this. I don't know if it's because it was more realistic, had more characters, or had it be that Hyperion was terrifying from the start. I loved everything before Miracleman just started tearing people apart. The Kid Miracleman stuff is some of the best stuff I've ever read. I also enjoyed all the old Anglo stuff.

Indeed. Once all 24 issues have been republished go back and read it as a whole.

I have a tendency to miss things reading it like that. The individual issues being released monthly like this help me focus on the current story.

I just enjoyed JMS's Squadron stuff so much more than this. I don't know if it's because it was more realistic, had more characters, or had it be that Hyperion was terrifying from the start. I loved everything before Miracleman just started tearing people apart. The Kid Miracleman stuff is some of the best stuff I've ever read. I also enjoyed all the old Anglo stuff.

Hold up - what is the comparison with Squadron Supreme? I don't follow.

Where is Miracleman tearing people apart? Are you talking about the fight in Paraguay a few issues ago (I think 7-8 )?

Hold up - what is the comparison with Squadron Supreme? I don't follow.

Where is Miracleman tearing people apart? Are you talking about the fight in Paraguay a few issues ago (I think 7-8 )?

Doesn't Miracleman eventually basically rule the world with his "protection"? And yeah, couple issues ago it got really gory

Doesn't Miracleman eventually basically rule the world with his "protection"?

Sort of. It's not like Squadron Supreme though. And it's certainly better written. I cringe just thinking about that horrendous Tom Thumb off panel death "scene". Squadron Supreme was a great concept but the execution was TERRIBLE.

The gory attack in Paraguay is not typical of Miracleman's behavior. He was basically in a panic because they kidnapped his wife. It's not like he goes around smashing people into pieces.

Only Squadron stuff I didn't enjoy was Chaykin's "let's do a Marvel version of the Supreme".

Still made me like him less.

Only Squadron stuff I didn't enjoy was Chaykin's "let's do a Marvel version of the Supreme".

Still made me like him less.

It sounds like you're referencing the more recent Supreme Power. Most of that was really good.

Did you read the original 80s series?

No and you're literally the first person I've come across that not only didn't like JMS's but liked the series with Ultimate Nick Fury.

No and you're literally the first person I've come across that not only didn't like JMS's but liked the series with Ultimate Nick Fury.

I think you misunderstood. I liked the JMS stuff a lot. I hated Ultimate Power and the garbage that came after it.

All that Supreme Power was was an Ultimate version of Squadron Supreme. When you originally said Squadron Supreme I thought that's what you were talking about - the original 12 issues series by Mark Gruenwald. That was pretty bad.

Miracleman #15 (Feb 2015) covers. These are great:

John Totleben:

Tim Sale:

I haven't seen it yet but there is another variant by Bill Sienkiewicz. Can't wait to see that one.

Here's the complete Miracleman - Triumphant pages, inked and lettered so it can be read in one go. I imagine Marvel will release this tale eventually, perhaps once they've reprinted MM #24.

Miracleman - Triumphant #1 pages (inked and lettered)

Iiiiiinteresting. Thanks.

I got the Book 2 hardcover the other day - I actually have both books released so far and the variants for both. I have probably about 70% of all of the variant issues released so far.

Latest posts

Back