Avengers New Avengers: Dark Reign (#48+) (Spoilers)

Re: New Avengers: Dark Reign discussion (#48+)

He controls an army of metahumans, that makes him pretty damn powerful and considering he is known psychotic murderer, him getting that position makes no sense, do know how much screening someone would have go through to get a plum position like that and how many media questions there would be about him?

It would be like giving OJ Simpson, federal authority because he shot Osama bin Laden on national TV, that doesn't work in real life.
That makes more sense. It sounded different before.

That makes more sense. It sounded different before.

Perhaps I wasn't expressing myself properly, but anyway, let's move on.

Again the concept is good, but the execution makes no sense, the only why would make sense is almost everyone in the Marvel universe is a total idiot.

Another problem with Dark Reign is, despite bendis trying to push the hood into A-list status, under Bendis he comes off as a Smug Snake (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SmugSnake) instead of a Magnificent Bastard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagnificentBastard). Now its a little too early to judge which class of villainy the hood fits in, I saw some potential signs of Magnificent Bastard when Brubaker, but if Bendis doesn't step up his game with this character, he is going to end up a Smug Snake.

Another problem with Dark Reign is, despite bendis trying to push the hood into A-list status, under Bendis he comes off as a Smug Snake (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SmugSnake) instead of a Magnificent Bastard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagnificentBastard). Now its a little too early to judge which class of villainy the hood fits in, I saw some potential signs of Magnificent Bastard when Brubaker, but if Bendis doesn't step up his game with this character, he is going to end up a Smug Snake.

Bendis never steps his game up.

Bendis never steps his game up.

I dunno, he successfully transformed Purple man into a fairly good complete monster villain from a kinda lame mind control villain, he can do it if he tries harder, just make hood seem more clever, that's all.

I think the big deal is she has been dead for 20 years and she was Hawkeye's most important love interest, besides she's got nothing.

Anyway regarding the dark reign itself,I like the concept of dark reign, a group of super villains managing to win and take power, but the circumstances around Norman Osborn are pretty stupid. Come on, making Norman Osborn a known psychotic murderer into the most powerful man in the world and no one has a problem with it.

Why? The general population thinks he's reformed and and he's on medication so he's not crazy 24/7( though he'll probably relapse).

Last edited:

Why? The general population thinks he's reformed and and he's on medication so he's not crazy 24/7( though he'll probably relapse).

He threatened to kill 18 people if Spidey didn't get himself on national TV, can you imagine someone getting a high profile government position with that on thier record, it would be all over youtube and media pundits would have a field day. George Allen lost his senate seat because he made a slur towards an Indian America and that ended up on youtube. seriously Norman getting position makes no sense, because in today's society, people are not so instantly forgiving.

update on #50

various artists will be contributing one-page splashe's for each character

Aja will be doing an Iron Fist page
McNiven will be doing a Spider-Man one
Maleev doing a Spider-Woman page
and so on

Hitch is doing something in the issue too
Hitch and

New Avengers #50 preview

http://comics.ign.com/articles/954/954250p1.html

I loved that Aja page, great stuff

It's funny, now that Iron Fist is "off" the team, he seems to be getting alot more panel time in

though it did lead to him having two different costumes on in 3 pages, in the Aja page he has his new one, and in the spread you can see the old-school collar

Brevoort rattles off his top picks for the new sorceror supreme

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20145

Clea, Ian McKnee, Baron Mordo, Jennifer Kale, Doctor Doom, Brother Voodoo, Illyana Rasputin, and Scarlet Witch

Nice to see Ian McKnee get a nod, he's definitley my pick

Personally I think Paul Cornell should be writing this as a seperate mini

God.... I'm dreading this.

Cornell would be perfect, but we won't be getting Cornell. We're getting Bendis.

Last edited:
Well according to that preview Hood's group still looks incompetent. Hood doesn't look like a good leader so far, how come none of those guys remember to use their powers, ever? Why are they dumber when they are in this group?

oh me too, can't wait to have the hood become the new sorceror supreme :roll:

They just need to rip up the carpet and rebuild the house. ontop of where the carpet used to be. They need someone to make all these magic-flavored characters interesting again. This is the perfect place to do it. But that won't happen.

They just need to rip up the carpet and rebuild the house. ontop of where the carpet used to be. They need someone to make all these magic-flavored characters interesting again. This is the perfect place to do it. But that won't happen.

Roberto Aguirre Sacasa has mentioned several times how he knows exactly how he'd do this, and I'd love to see how he'd do it, because he's got a real flair for this stuff

Roberto Aguirre Sacasa has mentioned several times how he knows exactly how he'd do this, and I'd love to see how he'd do it, because he's got a real flair for this stuff

I don't think I've read anything by him. I'd like to see Gabriel Ba or Fabio Moon take a stab at art.

They should approach this Sorcerer Supreme thing as an opportunity to take each of their prominent mystic characters and realign who they are, and how their individual mojo works, and edge in a framework for what the global community of magic guys consists of. How does this work? How do they interact with each other? What do they do? Differentiate them from superheroes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back