Avengers New Avengers: Dark Reign (#48+) (Spoilers)

Dormmamu chats with The Hood, tells him he has to get Dr. Strange if he wants to be the new Sorcerer Supreme. Meanwhile, Dr. Strange meets Billy (that Thor kid from Young Avengers) and chats with him - he wants to train him to be the new Sorcerer Supreme... and then The Hood turns up. Back to New Avengers hideout, they elect a new leader - Clint, but they also want to know who Spider-Man is. He reluctantly unmasks and Jessica Jones reveals she went to school with Peter and had a massive crush on him. Peter knew her only as coma girl. She storms out. The group are interrupted by Dr. Strange, who collapses on their floor. He needs their help.

It was okay but I found the Tan/Bachalo art changes jarring. And sometimes New Avengers feels like a sitcom.

Also, take this OMD!

There's a Dreamcast for you.

New Avengers after The Office, only on NBC.

Bachalo draws a wicked Hood and Dormammu. I wonder if Doom will actually be in here. Doom would make more sense than The Hood. It would be interesting to have them fighting over the title, while they are suppose to be part of The Cabal together.

Last edited:
I was thinking, maybe Strange will find that nobody is worthy of the title, but several people are partially there So he will set-up a council to be like the opposite of the roundtable of demons in X-Infernus. Srange, Wiccan, Hood, Doom, Jennifer Kale, Brother Voodoo, Baron Mordo, Ian McNee, Illyana, Talisman, Scarlet Witch, Sister Grimm, Clea.

It would be a great way to set up a new ongoing, have it be like the mystic Secret Warriors but also having 3 or 4 strong figures to create opposing positions and such.

I just wish Van Lente hadn't taken the dibs on the Midnight Sons name, that's a pretty cool name, maybe "The Council" or something.

Paul Cornell writing, Eric Nguyen/Chris Bachalo/Kyle Hotz on art, I'd be so there.

oh, wow. He unmasks for the NA. Cool. I haven't been keeping up with the single issues since Secret Invasion (waiting for the trades). Does Spidey unmask in front of all of them? Or just Luke Cage, Jess Jones, and Ronin/Clint?

Here's why I ask, those three (and Cap/Bucky) wouldn't probably have known him before the New Avengers, but Wolverine I think knew Peter Parker was Spider-Man before they both joined, and as recently established in ASM, if Spidey unmasks infront of someone who once knew who he was and then were made to forget by whatever mind blocking thing Spidey has going on, they will remember knowing. (That was a weird sentence, sorry)

What I mean is, if Wolverine knew that Peter Parker was Spider-Man, but then was made to forget, but then remembered that he knew and was made to forget, he'd be pretty ticked off at whoever made him forget.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
oh, wow. He unmasks for the NA. Cool. I haven't been keeping up with the single issues since Secret Invasion (waiting for the trades). Does Spidey unmask in front of all of them? Or just Luke Cage, Jess Jones, and Ronin/Clint?

Here's why I ask, those three (and Cap/Bucky) wouldn't probably have known him before the New Avengers, but Wolverine I think knew Peter Parker was Spider-Man before they both joined, and as recently established in ASM, if Spidey unmasks infront of someone who once knew who he was and then were made to forget by whatever mind blocking thing Spidey has going on, they will remember knowing. (That was a weird sentence, sorry)

What I mean is, if Wolverine knew that Peter Parker was Spider-Man, but then was made to forget, but then remembered that he knew and was made to forget, he'd be pretty ticked off at whoever made him forget.

Does that make sense?

Did really did that? He revealed himself to everyone and no one knew who he was.

So inconsistent.

Last edited:
Madame Masque and The Hood's dialog was annoying.

"Why are you here!?"
"You called me!"
"WHY. ARE. YOU. HERE?"
"You called me!"
"Oh. Let's make out."
"'Kay."

I like Bachalo sometimes but I find his segments really jarring after being used to Tan.

Did really did that? He revealed himself to everyone and no one knew who he was.

So inconsistent.

yeah, well like i said, i haven't read it yet, so i was asking if no one knew who he was.

Maybe in the OMD timeline he never revealed his identity to Luke Cage and Jess Jones when he joined the New Avengers, so then he wouldn't have shown Ronin or the new Cap when they came. That's feasible, MJ and Aunt May knew Peter was Spidey when he joined the Avengers and they came and lived in Stark Tower with him so everyone knew who he was, but now he never married MJ and Aunt May didn't know so they didn't all move into Stark tower, so there was no need for him to reveal his identity to the whole team. But Spider-Woman and Wolverine knew before he joined the team, so him not marrying MJ woundln't change that. So if he unmasked in front of them they should remember knowing.

Ugh.

"What's going on with that Eye ****, Strange?"
"****. I don't know. That's never happened before. I normally just use it as a Tivo."
"Seriously, dude? You aren't at least formulating theories on what it's doing? Isn't your whole schtick that you're some sort of omni-chaos mage who's studied the ins and outs of all routes of magic?"
"Oh ****! It's flying away! I still haven't seen the last season of 30 rock! NOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Ugh.

"What's going on with that Eye ****, Strange?"
"****. I don't know. That's never happened before. I normally just use it as a Tivo."
"Seriously, dude? You aren't at least formulating theories on what it's doing? Isn't your whole schtick that you're some sort of omni-chaos mage who's studied the ins and outs of all routes of magic?"
"Oh ****! It's flying away! I still haven't seen the last season of 30 rock! NOOOOOOOO!!!!"

It's such a crappy sitcom. :lol:

There's also this (word-for-word) exchange.

Captain America (carrying assault rifles, with a bazooka at his feet): You should all take guns.
Ms. Marvel: Nope.
Captain America: I don't understand.

Oh, Cap! You and your guns... We can't blame you, though. You play by your own rules!

Oh, and every other word Daimon Hellstrom speaks is "Hell". Get it? He's the son of Satan! Hell! Ha!

Last edited:
Ugh. Compared to how Jeff Parker handled the New Avengers in the latest Agents of Atlas issue, this was decidedly sub par.

There's also this (word-for-word) exchange.

Captain America (carrying assault rifles, with a bazooka at his feet): You should all take guns.
Ms. Marvel: Nope.
Captain America: I don't understand.

Oh, Cap! You and your guns... We can't blame you, though. You play by your own rules!

Oh, and every other word Daimon Hellstrom speaks is "Hell". Get it? He's the son of Satan! Hell! Ha!

Though I did rather like the Son of Satan parts, Bendis' grasp of Cap. is awful.

Latest posts

Back