Avengers New Avengers discussion (#1-20; spoilers)

Bendis at his best once again.

He definetly delivered with this issue, waaaaaay more than I would have ever expected. The scene with Mastermind means that when that happened, it was a looooong time ago, of course, since Mastermind is dead. And man, I really thought we were going to see who the other guy was.

But at least we see why McNiven was taking long with the issues, this one most especially. The scene with all the images, though yes, some parts were added in through the computer, the rest of it was still drawn, and you KNOW something like that is going to take a good long while! But it was worth it.

Just another 2-3 weeks, and we get a kick*** finale! (I can just feel it).

I was kind of hoping the Void would simply be fighting in its gangster-mode, the one that Spider-man fought. You know, with his fedora and tommy-gun.

BLACKANDBLACKANDBLACKANDBLACK, IAMTHEFACEOFYOURSOUL, shee? yyeah.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Question is what about the comics?

I still think the comics serve the same purpose as they did in the Sentry mini.

I really really enjoyed this, and I love how Bendis handled the subconscious aspect of it. I'm a little worried that he will undo something that doesn't need to be undone, but I'm trying to surpress that because this hasn't disappointed yet.

As for the unnamed villain...who could it be? It does look like a military type, and it's dfinitely someone Bob recognizes...hmm...

Did anyone else not like the way Bendis handled The Void? In the mini the Void was pure power, and an intellegent being in its own right. Here its a 2 year old throwing a tantrum, and taking stupidly monsterous forms. I still feel that this arc could have been done in the original 3 issues, and Bendis' timeline jumping isn't helping to change my mind. 3/5

Baxter said:
Did anyone else not like the way Bendis handled The Void? In the mini the Void was pure power, and an intellegent being in its own right. Here its a 2 year old throwing a tantrum, and taking stupidly monsterous forms. I still feel that this arc could have been done in the original 3 issues, and Bendis' timeline jumping isn't helping to change my mind. 3/5

I agree that he's stretching the arc out a bit. But I think the purpose of the Void is possibly some sort of defense mechanism. He's projecting the void this way because he knows the void doesn't have much time left.

Baxter said:
I still feel that this arc could have been done in the original 3 issues, and Bendis' timeline jumping isn't helping to change my mind. 3/5

But this is typical Bendis. He stretches arcs 3 issues longer than they have to. Regular USM readers know what's up. ;D

I dont think this could have been told in just 3 issues. Not with the things he's revealing about Sentry's past. This definetly needed a 4th issue. Fits better off.

Baxter said:

The Void is a defense mechanism. It would take whatever form Bob Reynolds thought it should. I like how Bendis is using him, actually.

And this is one Bendis arc that I really don't feel is being stretched out. But if you didn't like the dialogue in the Wrecker fight scene, I could see why you might feel that way.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Always love when writers use random villains cameos.

I can't stand it. It is exactly the reason why we got the Ultimate universe. The "random villain cameo" as responsible for something going on is as cheap as it being a martian or tornado or a walking, talking, plot hole. They're not set up, they're not mentioned, but they come in to seal over a plot hole and the writer tries to get away with it by saying, "See? This guy has existed, thus, it's not deus ex, but rather a clever pay off of a pre-existing character." Of course, the only way to do this is to have an audience that is totally inbred within the Marvel universe. Something I thought was "bad writing" and counter-productive.

Bendis, champion of the "New Marvel Writing" and he makes the same mistakes his peers have been making for the last half a dozen decades.

Bass said:
I can't stand it. It is exactly the reason why we got the Ultimate universe. The "random villain cameo" as responsible for something going on is as cheap as it being a martian or tornado or a walking, talking, plot hole. They're not set up, they're not mentioned, but they come in to seal over a plot hole and the writer tries to get away with it by saying, "See? This guy has existed, thus, it's not deus ex, but rather a clever pay off of a pre-existing character." Of course, the only way to do this is to have an audience that is totally inbred within the Marvel universe. Something I thought was "bad writing" and counter-productive.

Bendis, champion of the "New Marvel Writing" and he makes the same mistakes his peers have been making for the last half a dozen decades.
This is why you love Millar and why I love Vaughan.

Bass said:

I would agree, but I would first disagree with the "random villain cameo" assessment. It wasn't random; he was one of the 40 some-odd villains broken out of The Raft. I actually thought it was really well done - he needs his crowbar back, he goes to get it. The Avengers find out about it, they go to stop him.

UltimateE said:
I would agree, but I would first disagree with the "random villain cameo" assessment. It wasn't random; he was one of the 40 some-odd villains broken out of The Raft. I actually thought it was really well done - he needs his crowbar back, he goes to get it. The Avengers find out about it, they go to stop him.

Were they not talking about Mastermind?

New Avengers #10 discussion

What a cool ending. I loved this arc, not only because Sentry is one of my favorite characters and it did a lot to open the character up, but it was cool to see the New Avengers working with other heroes.

I've seen a few people ask why they would need a team if Sentry is around, if he's so powerful, and I loved the explanation - they want to help him NOT turn into Wanda. Awesome.

McNiven was great...I'm sorry to see him go.

I was a little disappointed that we didn't get the actual identity of the general/colonel, but I'm sure it will be touched on in the upcoming Sentry mini.

Can't wait to see how he fits on the team.

5/5.

I went in expecting too much from this. It was all right but I wouldn't be bummed out if I missed it. If anything the intrigue of who the general was and where The Sentry goes from here is enough.

P.S. Upset that Daredevil didn't make a tiny appearance even though Reed sent him in the first place.

er wait... did it even mention why Reed went to him in the first place?

UltimateE said:

I agree on the rating. I loved #7, but didn't like #8 and #9, so I was expecting a big let-down, but I really liked this issue, and I want to go back and read all four of them together now. The artwork was goddamned amazing, too.

Ultimate Warrior said:
Pretty good story but the ending was great! :D

And UltimateE, New Avengers #11??? Do you have a time machine or something? And in that case, can I borrow it? :)

Oops. :D

TheManWithoutFear said:
er wait... did it even mention why Reed went to him in the first place?
Reed said he never sent DD in the first place.

I loved the issue. Great work, loved every aspect of it. And next week, RONIN!

Latest posts

Back