New Questions Answered by Robert Kirkman

Here's what he says about the discussion about Jean's father/uncle:

Nothing said here should be considered "canon" or whatever... there is a reasonable explanation for what's going on with Jean's parents but that will be handled in the BOOK because that's all that really counts.

So either he knew what he was doing all along or he realised he made a mistake after reading the internet discussions and decided to remedy it in the comic itself. Either way, liking it.

And btw, if someone didn't catch it, the shrinking thing was obviously a joke on Kirkman's part.

Last edited:
Shrinking Wolverine....

um...

More questions he has answered.

1.) Any plans on seeing Moira again? It's been a while. Last time she was seen was in Return of the King, I believe.

She'll be appearing briefly very soon and possibly more after that.

2.) Ok, so in the X-Men movies, Bobby was given a brother (non-mutant). In the "Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends", he had a half-sister who was a mutant named Lightwave. In the comics he's always been an only child. Any thoughts on changing that?

Hadn't thought about it, really. There are far more important things gong on with Bobby.

3.) You said before about going back and touching up on sub-plots, which I think is a great idea. Would you also revisit the mention about Cyclops and his father? Don't know if that's much of a sub-plot, but I would love to see that expanded upon.

His father is NOT Corsair of The Starjammers that's for sure. I plan on fleshing out all these character, giving them more background, making people love them as much if not more than the 616 versions--and at the same time, making sure everything is different than the 616 versions. Things were starting to get too close.

4.) And speaking of which, any chances on seeing Iceman's parents, too? Or anyone else parents? Like seeing Kitty's mother's reaction on seeing her daugher out on missions after she told Xavier not to have her do that? I mean, with what happened in the "Deadpool" arc and people seeing all that, she's bound to see it herself sometime. Or have seen her around NYC with Spider-Man.

Kitty's mom is in issue 72. There will be more.

5.) What about seeing other characters come to the UXM and guest-starring? Possiblity by any chance?

What? You don't like Magician?

6.) Can you come to Wizard World Philly next year?

No plans at this time, sorry. I'm not outright ruling it out, though.

-Robert

Ice said:
What? You don't like Magician?
No. No. No no no.

To be honest, I'm almost tired of hearing Kirkman talk the talk without really walking the walk. None of these answers are really intruiging me, solely because his run hasn't done much for me at all.

And Ice? Going out on a limb, since you're the only person I've ever heard talk about Lightwave, I'm going to call you a screaming fanboy.

Last edited:
Ice said:
and at the same time, making sure everything is different than the 616 versions. Things were starting to get too close.

I hope that means what I think it means.

Caduceus said:
And Ice? Going out on a limb, since you're the only person I've ever heard talk about Lightwave, I'm going to call you a screaming fanboy.
Duh. Where you been? :p

E said:
I hope that means what I think it means.
That we won't see things you don't like from 616, which would mean a lot of things?

Last edited:
Hi-Fi said:
That we wont see time-travelling Cable? God, I hope so!

And that he won't be Scott's son from an alternate future...

I do wonder how he'll handle Cable. The first thing everyone remembers of 616 Cable is that he's from the future, which he is, but he was born in Scott's present time.

While I can't see any of that happening, and how Robert is really dedicated to not having things go along the same lines (cuz really, what would be the point of writing things the exact same way?), still have to keep the characters true to who they are. Can't way to see the solits at the end of the month.

Hi-Fi said:
That we wont see time-travelling Cable? God, I hope so!

I think I am the only one that liked the 616 Cable. I am awaiting the new take on Cable as long as it's pheasible and he has the same type of personality. As long as he isn't a new super-soldier I'm fine

I have only read one 616 Cable comic and that was Robert Kirkman's Marvel Team-Up #19.

I'm not counting his cameo flashback in Nextwave, even though it was quite hilarious.

I read a Cable comic when he appeared with Wolverine in the 90's sometime. The art was be Leinil Yu. It was quite good, but then I was young, and didn't know the convulted mess the "big guy with the staff" was.

1) Robert,

Can you think of a plot device to rid Cyclops of the stupid belt and pouches that run across his chest?

If not, can you please make the belt fall down around his ankles, because it's ability to stay up through all manner of posing is absurd. If he lifted his arms above his head, that silly thing would drop like my sister's panties in a garage on her 15th birthday.

I can see it now; Cyclops' chest-belt drops to the floor, and he says,"Huh...y'know, now that it's happened, I can't believe it hasn't happened before," as he scratches his head.

Change it though. I hate it.

I'll see what I can do. I always liked the old X-Men stories when they got new costumes... I don't see any reason that can't happen here.

2)If Robert is going to change any uniforms, I hope he changes Rogue's awful costume. Seriously, that thing she wears is awful. And it would be cool to see at least one female member with long hair.

Rogue just GOT a new costume in issue 69. Is that the one you're talking about? I'm sure thier hair will grow... give it time.

3) Any chance we can see Ultimate Harry's Hideway, Robert? A place for the X-Men to hang? Very Happy

And please, make Dazzler a member again. Please!

Maybe not "Harry's" specifically but something like that, sure. Dazzler will be IN THE BOOK whether or not she's on the team doesn't matter, she'll still be there.

4) And what about seeing the mansion get destoryed? It's something that should happen in UXM, as long as it's part of a story of course. Not do it just to do it.

The mansion will not be getting destroyed any time soon... at least, not the whole thing.

5) Since we're talking about Cyke...

It would be great if Robert at least made the belts DO SOMETHING! He's had them since issue 1 and I haven't seen him use them at all? What's he got in there? Why is he wearing them? There has to be a reason!

Cable uses almost every pouch and piece of equipment on him. That was something I wanted to make sure to do when I brought him in. I see no reason for Cyclops not to do the same. Stay tuned.

6) And...could you flesh out Cyke some more? He's been with the Brotherhood, Magneto actually seems to like him, and he's Xavier's golden child. Why do Mags and X seem to put so much into Cyke? Mags wanted him to be his son more than Quicksliver and in Return of the King Cyke shot Magneto and Magneto got up and FORGAVE HIM! Could you play up on that relationship and how those two see Cyke as the future and trust their dreams to live on in Cyclops.

I plan on fleshing out ALL these characters at least a little bit. That's why I'll be thinning out the main cast somewhat to get more room to DO that. That said, just because your favorite X-Man isn't on "the team" or running around doing stuff EVERY ISSUE they'll still be in the book. For me, the coolest thing about Ultimate X-Men, the thing that makes it the BEST X-Men book to write is that EVERYONE is in one book. It's like writing Uncanny, X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, and all the others in one book. So I have access to everyone and I'll be using everyone... just not EVERY issue. It will be cool, I promise.

7) Oh and why is Rogue so childish sometimes? She has a pretty dark past in Ultimate...she was in Weapon X and the Brotherhood! So shouldn't her past haunt her at least a little?

It will. She's still very young, though. She's just 15.

Kinda the same thing with Nightcrawler but I'm just too happy with his issues with Colossus right now to care about his other feelings lol.

Read the Annual.

8 ) What is the X-Men's link to the Ultimates? Are they made to join at 18 like Spider-Man, or are they somehow granted amnesty from that?

I'll be dealing with that.

9).I loved the Date Night story line. Any chance of seeing more downtime stories in the future? I think the kids need to go on a camping trip.

I love downtime stories, but they only work if you only do them every once in a while. Maybe once a year... and not three full issues worth. We'll see.

10) Also for that matter, with the Blackbird it would seem that they could go on some pretty exciting dates. Why doesn't Scott sweep Jean off to Paris or Kitty take Peter to Israel? Or Collosus show Northstar his home in Russia?

Gas money?

11) Robert, any chance we can see Illyana Rasputin or Amanda Sefton in the future? A witch in the team would be kinda neat.

No plans right now.

12) Also, I was re-reading one of my favorites Millar's issues, UXM 16, and I was wondering if we're gonna see again the school aspect of X-Men, plus their tasks outside the mansion (Jean helping out the police, Colossus and Wolverine street walks, Iceman helping the homeless).

The school aspect takes center stage very soon. Issue 80, I think.

13) And I'd like to see the "Storm loves to write" plot revisited. Bendis created the scenary but never played with it. Vaughan threw a line about her writing the Danger Room's dialogues (hilarious) but that was it.

It will be covered.

14) Dani Moonstar, Bruiser, Banshee, Pyro, Destiny, Avalanche. Any chance to see one of them making to Ultimate universe in the future?

One of them possibly, but I haven't decided how or when.

15) Can we get some 2 issues of UXM soon? And here and there? Moor Kirkman more goodness! Something needs to replace MTU

I'd like to try and catch up with Ultimate Spider-Man numbering wise. I'm a big fan of impossible goals. We'll see if I even get close.

Sorry these took so long to answer. If I keep doing this, I'm going to have to start getting more vague... I don't want to get TOO much away.

-Robert

Ice said:
That's interesting about not the whole masion getting destroyed.

Thanks Hi-Fi.

No problem.

I wonder who of the mentioned characters is a possible adition to the book. My guess would be Pyro.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'll look through the rest of the questions when I'm sober... but I seriously got tired of whatever... um... not straight person.... asking about ****ing uniforms!!! What a ****in' waste.
I know that wasn't me! I only asked questions 4 and 15. :D

Back