Newsarama reveals Ultimate Defenders

Who cares what it is. A one-shot or not it's Ultimate Defenders for God's sakes.

Anyone wanna theorise on the origins of these new ultimatised defenders?
Are they gonna bring magic into the universe? or are they gonna resolve issue of this sort with mutations? Or are there any more.... wild opinions? :)

Nick Fury is going to appoint Giant Man the leader after he realizes he's going to need just a little more fire power. Volunteer SHIELD personel show up to get tested for Giant Man's super soldier ideas and, thus, the Defenders are born... ;)

Nice:) I think that hank is gonna get chucked out (maybe he's the source of the leak?) and thinks "hey, I don't need those clowns." And then bumps into hellstorm doing a kids birthday party and hires him :D Thus the idea is born. Ok, the first part of that is what I think. Though why would Pym do such a thing as he and banner have seemingly got over their enmity, unless it's all a ploy on Pym's part to mark him seem less of a suspect. That's an issue for another thread though I'm sure.
ok, the characters, I already mentioned Valkyrie.
Luke Cage can easily be a mutant, hell, even just a tough guy. I don't think they need to alter much about him. There will be some personality tweaks I'm sure, but I could only guess at these. And I think it would be interesting (but not right), if they made him a bit of a wimp, he's a big tough guy, really strong, but a complete pussy when it came to the crunch. I guess it depends on how much fun you wanna have with the character. Like I said, I don't think this is right, but it would be fun.
Hellcat I'm seeing as just some supercool athelete, kinda like the black cat. Personality wise - we can say catty with some ease I think. Though not to the hilarious Black widows levels :)
NIghtwing, well.. I dunno actually. He's a guy in a dumb suit that is gonna mocked somewhat for that. for sure.
And hellstorm, this is the tricky one too. Maybe he was just a street performer. Smoke and mirrors my friends. Who's to say.

Nightwing is Marvel's original version of BATMAN! I think their origins should be a mystery, then we can make threads and make their history up...

Why does he have to be big? Perhaps if Bendis was writing him he would be? He should just be a street hero saving people for money...

Fury's not going to create this team... The hard, cold streets are...

The dominance of Luke Cage as a character is going to depend on the writing. The fact that he's been included is a good thing at least. So far we've only really had the major Marvel icons in this series. Hell, Captain Britain got only a handful of frames, but that's enough for now. If the character works well ultimised, he will continue and maybe play a major role. Or MORE major role as we don't know how big his part is yet. And the fact that he appears in the Ultimates series rather than a walk on in another series, shows that he has weight. I'm sure they will play the character well.

Goodwill said:
\\

Millar's done crazy stuff like that before in the Marvel Universe. Proteus for example. There was no David Xavier in 616. There was a David Haller, who was Legion, and another character, mixed in to make Ultimate Proteus. It's crazy.

Ultimate Proteus is actually David MacTaggart. Since Charles and Moira have separatd and David is under her care, he gets her last name. Also, I think Millar wanted to combine the names of both of Xavier's crazy sons in 616. This may also mean we won't see an Ultimate Legion, or at least an Ultimate Legion who is related to Xavier like they did with Ultimate Juggs.

Luke Cage can easily be another subject of a genetic experiment, since superhuman experimentation seems to be all the rage in the Ultimate Universe. I'm really curious on how Millar will tackle the Ultimate Defenders. I find it weird that he decided to depict Valkyrie has a half-naked chick though, since the Ultimate universe is supposed to be more realistic and no one in the real world runs around in a bikini during battle.

Last edited:
A former fashion model that watches from the sides and tries to distract the enemy does though...

Am I missing something?

Why all the crying over Luke Cage? He was a low rent character in my eyes to begin with. I think having him on the Defenders is just good common sense by Millar and Marvel. He needs to be part of an ensemble like this in order to get his props. The whining you guys are doing can be done by each of us for our favorite characters that are only on the Ultimates and we think deserve their own books (Thor, Cap just for example . . .) and yes, I'm very happy the Ult. Iron Man is coming out!

I vote for Cage being a super soldier.

I vote for this theory: Pym does get them together, but on his own, kind of a screw you to Fury. I also think they actually come to Thor's aid (Issues 4 & 5 are going to be the "Thor kicks the living hell out of the Ultimates" issues.).

I vote for Son of Satan to be a David Blaine type guy, as was mentioned previously. And Patsy is his girl friend, a skilled martial artist. Her realtionship with SOS is where she'll get the Hellcat moniker.

Valkyrie is the link to Thor . . . How can she be accepted by society if Thor is a bad guy? Remember, this is literally being setup into a game of gods playing chess (Ultimate Galactus trilogy that is on runnning as we read and write here. That is something they will be involved in, for sure and may be how the Silver Surfer becomes aligned with them.). Don't count out Loki's involvment. Or stop wondering who he is (Jarvis . . . ?).

This Nighthawk looks ridiculous. So 80's DC.

Doc Strange would be a welcome addition. It appears that the Defenders will have an awful lot of magic play involved (since they are a street level hero team for the most part). I wonder if the magic will be coincidental in affect (ie: that live powerline just happened to fall on him! What a coincidence!), street style magic or high magic. Remember that Satana is an associate of Doc Strange in 616.

Black Knight's presence makes more of the supernatural come into play with his origins . . .

Just thoughts to stew up healthy debate.

PEACE!

leather_w0lf said:
Why all the crying over Luke Cage? He was a low rent character in my eyes to begin with. I think having him on the Defenders is just good common sense by Millar and Marvel. He needs to be part of an ensemble like this in order to get his props. The whining you guys are doing can be done by each of us for our favorite characters that are only on the Ultimates and we think deserve their own books (Thor, Cap just for example . . .) and yes, I'm very happy the Ult. Iron Man is coming out!

I vote for Cage being a super soldier.

I vote for this theory: Pym does get them together, but on his own, kind of a screw you to Fury. I also think they actually come to Thor's aid (Issues 4 & 5 are going to be the "Thor kicks the living hell out of the Ultimates" issues.).

I vote for Son of Satan to be a David Blaine type guy, as was mentioned previously. And Patsy is his girl friend, a skilled martial artist. Her realtionship with SOS is where she'll get the Hellcat moniker.

Valkyrie is the link to Thor . . . How can she be accepted by society if Thor is a bad guy? Remember, this is literally being setup into a game of gods playing chess (Ultimate Galactus trilogy that is on runnning as we read and write here. That is something they will be involved in, for sure and may be how the Silver Surfer becomes aligned with them.). Don't count out Loki's involvment. Or stop wondering who he is (Jarvis . . . ?).

This Nighthawk looks ridiculous. So 80's DC.

Doc Strange would be a welcome addition. It appears that the Defenders will have an awful lot of magic play involved (since they are a street level hero team for the most part). I wonder if the magic will be coincidental in affect (ie: that live powerline just happened to fall on him! What a coincidence!), street style magic or high magic. Remember that Satana is an associate of Doc Strange in 616.

Black Knight's presence makes more of the supernatural come into play with his origins . . .

Just thoughts to stew up healthy debate.

PEACE!

I agree on everything except the first part. Do you read anything that Luke Cage is involved in. He's totally not a "low-rent" character. He's a great character and more importantly he's African American and should have more of an impact on the Ultimate Universe. Why is it all of a sudden they dropped the racial issues and think they're making up for it by adding in Homosexual characters... I don't get it? Sure, they made Fury black, but that's one guy.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Do you read anything that Luke Cage is involved in. He's totally not a "low-rent" character.
Oh yeah. Dude made Norman become GG in public, so then EVERYONE officially knew that GG was really Norman Osborn. Not even Spidey coulda done that!

lol :lol:

Latest posts

Back