Newsrama Previews ALL-STAR SUPERMAN!

Bass

Nexus of the World
I want this sooooooo bad. And **** YOU Ultimate Marvel! There's his origin in four panels and 8 words! (I know it isn't a fair comparison, but I just love the origin.) Plus, Lex rocks. And so does Quitely.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... it looks good. :drooling:

I read this in Wizard a while ago, and yes it's awesome.

I'm actually not a fan of the art. Quietly's faces are so odd.

I'm a major Morrison fan, though. I am most certainly picking this up. I just hope it doesn't dissapoint me like All-Star Bats. . .

Lynx said:
I'm actually not a fan of the art. Quietly's faces are so odd.

I'm a major Morrison fan, though. I am most certainly picking this up. I just hope it doesn't dissapoint me like All-Star Bats. . .
It won't.

*stamps All-Star Superman with the Moonmaster stamp of approval*

I'm digging where the story is going, but Quitely's art is just...just look at this.

ASSM_1_10.jpg

Is it just me, or does Superman look like a steroid-pumped 80-year-old Kurt Russell who was hit in the face with a shovel?

I have to agree - Supe's face on that panel isn't very good.

But it's hardly fair to say that's no good when he's done this:
ASSM_1_02_03.jpg

Kind of weird. But in a good way.

Morrison's writing is going to make this book sell like hot-cakes. I'll probably read it, just for his writing. However, it looks like Quitely's improved since his Authority days.

I'm all over that.

Yeah, that is a bad panel, but its just one bad panel. I liked Quietly's work on New X-Men, and for the most part this looks very good too.

And I LOVED Morrison's work on New X-Men. Very excited for this.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Ok, so with these All-Star Titles. We're not getting a redoing of their origins but we're just supposed to already know what's going on with them so it's not really DC's answer to the Ultimate Line?
DC didn't want to seem like a rip-off of Marvel, so they changed it just enough to make it something else.

UltimateE said:
I agree 100%.

So do I, I was just foolin'.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Ok, so with these All-Star Titles. We're not getting a redoing of their origins but we're just supposed to already know what's going on with them so it's not really DC's answer to the Ultimate Line?

All-Star is not the Ultimate line. It's Elseworlds. Elseworlds were one-off titles or short minis that took place in bizarre versions of the DCU that weren't in continuity.

The Ultimate line is an entire new universe based on the Marvel Universe.

For the All-Star line to be an Ultimate equivalent, it would have to be a new universe. It isn't. It's a separate continuity individual to each All-Star line. They're Elseworlds.

The difference is Elseworlds carries the idea that it "doesn't matter" and is not part of regular DC universe whereas All-Star claims "it's not part of the DCU, but it's better than the DCU."

Basically they said, "Take Batman/Superman and just write whatever you want. Make it easy for new readers so we can poach 'em from the movie."

All-Star is not meant to have the longevity Ultimate is. This is both bad (*sob* no Morrison on Superman for a few years giving us all manner of cool versions of old characters) and good (no 'decompression' as talentless writers take a 1-issue story and spread it into 17-issues of bollocks, no pointless nostalgia as we update characters for no reason and thus actually doing the exact opposite of what the Ultimate universe is supposed to do by introducing characters who's only appeal is to those who already knew them from a different title 15 years ago).

Take each title as it is, and **** the noise. :)

Latest posts

Back